Audi wins Le Mans. 5000rpm at a time.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SGladwell, Jun 18, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Good news. More exposure (if limited) for clean diesel technologies in the NA market.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Nice.

[​IMG]

Jon.

4. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Don't wanna talk about it. Missed the whole thing...

I have to go once before I die.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Don't wanna talk about it. Missed the whole thing...

I have to go once before I die.

I saw the start of the race on Speed TV, but I missed both night into day AND the finish (damn it). They are changing the rules for the P1 class, so in the future all the cars are going to have to be coupes and not roadsters. Apparently they think this brings the cars "˜closer' to production cars somehow and that the public perception is that Lemans cars look more like road-going cars if the Lemans cars are coupes... [​IMG]

Jon.

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

I watched a good part of the race on Speed TV.

The amount of r&d that went into that Audi was pretty staggering. They really wanted to win and made the investment to get there. I can't imagine how much money they spent on this race.

In the end, however, I don't really care much about the prototype classes. I find the GT races much more interesting.

American teams did pretty well. Corvette won GT1, and Panoz won GT2.

I kind of feel sorry for the Aston Martin guys. How many times in a row is it now that they suffered mechanical issues at the end of the race? They just can't seem to keep their cars together for the full 24 hours. If it was the 20 hours of Lemans, they, (and not Corvette) would have several consecutive wins under their belt.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I watched a good part of the race on Speed TV. The amount of r&d that went into that Audi was pretty staggering. They really wanted to win and made the investment to get there. I can't imagine how much money they spent on this race. In the end, however, I don't really care much about the prototype classes. I find the GT races much more interesting. American teams did pretty well. Corvette won GT1, and Panoz won GT2. I kind of feel sorry for the Aston Martin guys. How many times in a row is it now that they suffered mechanical issues at the end of the race? They just can't seem to keep their cars together for the full 24 hours. If it was the 20 hours of Lemans, they, (and not Corvette) would have several consecutive wins under their belt.
    Best team ever I think was the McLaren F1 (GTR) team…by god they were good. Jon.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Very nice! Something related: the Mechanical Engineering department at my school managed to make a Diesel/Electric hybrid car that hits 0-60 in 4-5 seconds and gets 70 mpg.

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

The VW group needs to get back in the WRC with diesels. Preferably what used to be called Group N...

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Very nice! Something related: the Mechanical Engineering department at my school managed to make a Diesel/Electric hybrid car that hits 0-60 in 4-5 seconds and gets 70 mpg.

How much did it weigh?

Jon.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

How much did it weigh?

Jon.

My guess is somewhere around 2500 lbs. It's a two-seater, though I heard that UPS contracted them for the engine, so they're making it powerful enough to pull the delivery trucks. It's pretty cool, it looks like a little porsche.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My guess is somewhere around 2500 lbs. It's a two-seater, though I heard that UPS contracted them for the engine, so they're making it powerful enough to pull the delivery trucks. It's pretty cool, it looks like a little porsche.

Interesting. Got any pics?

Jon.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator