• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audi TT- anyone else happily rediscovered manual transmissions?

pclldo

Reaction score
Let me open by saying this isn't a car bragging thread- the exotics some of the members post here are beautiful and far beyond me- but just a general thumbs up for manual transmission cars.

So... I decided to go get myself something fun to drive after three Jeeps in a row. After looking around a bit, I picked out an 05 TT quattro manual from my local dealer (for those wisely horrified at the thought of buying a used Audi, yes, I got the 100K extended warranty).

What a blast to drive! I hadn't driven a stick since college, and this isn't a terribly powerful car, but after a month of it, I can't imagine driving with an automatic again. Thanks to some of the past posters here for discussions on this topic, as it really made me decide "yeah, why not?". Best decision I could have made. I can't stop driving now! Even those boring 4+ hour business trips to mediocre clients in far-flung territories have gone from "yawn" to "holy sh*t I can't stop smiling". I wish I'd done this years back.

Anybody else gone back to shifting the old fashioned way?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Myself and Mrs. Dmax are proud members of the "You-shift-it" club. I can't say we rediscovered it since we always preferred the manual way.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've always thought that the Audi TT was one of those cars that was just more fun to drive than you'd expect it to be given the numbers, kind of like the Miata.

And also, I wouldn't worry about not having so much horsepower. I drove a Z06 once, and it was actually very boring at anything less than extremely illegal speeds. IMO it's much more enjoyable have something I can wind out a bit on the street without having to worry about going to jail.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only had manual ****** cars, I hate all this new automatic-only crap in these so-called super cars like Veyron, F430, GT-R, etc.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was looking at an 01 TT quattro roadster recently 44000 miles. Pretty car and the dealer would probably have taken $14000 or less. But that was the first model year and from what I read the thing could be a rolling time bomb for repair bills.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I've only had manual ****** cars, I hate all this new automatic-only crap in these so-called super cars like Veyron, F430, GT-R, etc.
Their actually not automatic's in the traditional sense, some of these ******'s offer blistering performance.

BTW...I believe the F430 can also be had with the traditional 6 speed stick.

Back to the OP, I think the TT is a nicely styled car.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pclldo
Anybody else gone back to shifting the old fashioned way?

Gone back? Some of us never left.
BMW 540i 6-speed for me.
M-Coupe for the wife.
Although I will admit that we also have an Acura RL with an automatic.

cbj

Reaction score
Never left here as well. Manual transmission is a requirement for me and the wife. It really narrows down the options and makes shopping much easier (or harder depending on your point of view).

pclldo

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Shopping for this one was indeed easier, as no one wanted it since so few people, apparently, care to drive them. The TT's a car I didn't really care for until about a year ago, when I drove a friend's, but I got hooked on it immediately. Worlds of difference between the front wheel drive and the all wheel drive models. And I have to say, I like the old body style better.

My experience with manuals prior to this was limited to two Triumphs- a '61 TR3 that my dad's currently nearly through restoring, and a '73 (I think) Stag that's next on the list when the TR3's finished, so driving a "modern" 6 speed is quite a refreshing change up. Of course, power steering, air conditioning, electrical stuff that doesn't melt every 56 miles, etc. all help. The Stag was more fun to drive, but it's already had two replacement aluminum V8 engines that more or less explode if it's warmer than about 90 degrees.

I did drive the DSG in the old body style V6 TT, same transmission as in the new models, and it's an incredible piece of equipment. I think it's wasted on the front wheel drive new models, though. The 2.0 engine is great with the DSG, but it needs two more wheels getting the power to really take advantage of it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm such a fan of the manual that while the cars I might buy after graduation (if I live somewhere that I cant make do with a bike) are both available with the DSG, I would probably stick with the manual.

The DSG is cool and all in a MkV GTI but there is just something about being able to actually work the clutch and physically move the gears around with your hand...
Also...it costs less to buy and a lot less to replace.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
newer manual cars (after ca. 1995) shift so easily anyways, it's practically like driving automatic. The clutch is light as a feather, the pedal travels 3 inches, the shifts are short and snappy, no graunch, etc.

I had a 1988 VW Jetta which was physically exerting to drive, especially in traffic.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Their actually not automatic's in the traditional sense, some of these ******'s offer blistering performance.

BTW...I believe the F430 can also be had with the traditional 6 speed stick.

Back to the OP, I think the TT is a nicely styled car.

I didn't know the F430 still came with a traditional 6 speed, thats good to hear. But to purists like me, unless there are three pedals under the dash, it's an automatic. I don't care how they spin it, the transmission is shifting automatically, whereas when you have a real manual its called manual because you are manually moving pieces in the transmission. On these cars you are just manually telling the computer when to shift the transmission.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I didn't know the F430 still came with a traditional 6 speed, thats good to hear. But to purists like me, unless there are three pedals under the dash, it's an automatic. I don't care how they spin it, the transmission is shifting automatically, whereas when you have a real manual its called manual because you are manually moving pieces in the transmission. On these cars you are just manually telling the computer when to shift the transmission.
I've never driven a paddle shifted car, but I would be interested to see if their fun.

.... I too drive a manual.

stamp0102

Reaction score
I drive an '07 TT 2.0 with the DSG. For me it was the best of both worlds. Although I "can" drive stick, I've never owned a manual car, and therefore suck at it. I would hate to manhandle such a nice new car due to my ignorance. In addition, at the time of purchase I was commuting close to an hour every day in stop-and-go traffic. I nearly strangled myself every day because traffic pisses the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine if I had to concentrate on switching gears the entire time.

I do have to say that the DSG is a thing of genius. Everyone who has ever been in my car, and the few that I have even let drive it, were simply amazed by what the transmission could do. My cousin, at the time he drove my TT, owned a Ferrari f355 Spider and a Mini Cooper Works (neither are anywhere close to being slow cars). I let him drive the TT around the block and he had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face when he pulled back in the driveway. He was shocked by the peppiness of the engine and the speed that the transmission could shift.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads