• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audi TT- anyone else happily rediscovered manual transmissions?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
I drive an '07 TT 2.0 with the DSG. For me it was the best of both worlds. Although I "can" drive stick, I've never owned a manual car, and therefore suck at it. I would hate to manhandle such a nice new car due to my ignorance. In addition, at the time of purchase I was commuting close to an hour every day in stop-and-go traffic. I nearly strangled myself every day because traffic pisses the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine if I had to concentrate on switching gears the entire time.

I do have to say that the DSG is a thing of genius. Everyone who has ever been in my car, and the few that I have even let drive it, were simply amazed by what the transmission could do. My cousin, at the time he drove my TT, owned a Ferrari f355 Spider and a Mini Cooper Works (neither are anywhere close to being slow cars). I let him drive the TT around the block and he had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face when he pulled back in the driveway. He was shocked by the peppiness of the engine and the speed that the transmission could shift.

I had an 06 A3 3.2 quattro with DSG. Bought it because for some strange reason the 3.2 wasn't available with stick, unlike the 2.0. I always had the feeling I was driving a well-programmed video game simulation of a stick shift car. Kind of strange and a poor substitute if you are used to the real thing. I also found the A3 was hideously uncomfortable to sit in so I didn't keep the car for long.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
I always had the feeling I was driving a well-programmed video game simulation of a stick shift car. Kind of strange and a poor substitute if you are used to the real thing.

+1. Many of these systems will shift for you if you approach the rev limiter which defeats the purpose entirely if you ask me.

My first car was an old 3-series with a stick, then I bought an even older Lexus ES with stick (probably one of 3 ever made). Now I have a automatic ES, even though I commute in traffic I miss the stick. There's nothing that improves an otherwise boring car like a stick shift.

I do find it disheartening that manuals are becoming so hard to find these days, especially since they are soooo smooth on newer cars. It blows my mind that there are guys out there my age who don't know how to drive a manual.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I "can" drive stick, I've never owned a manual car, and therefore suck at it. I would hate to manhandle such a nice new car due to my ignorance.

I think this is a real misconception. It literally takes most people about 2 hours to learn stick, and within 2 days you are driving around with ease. Within a week it's hard to remember what was so hard about it. Everyone learns stick on some car, those cars are not ruined.

pclldo

Reaction score
I drive an '07 TT 2.0 with the DSG. For me it was the best of both worlds....
...I let him drive the TT around the block and he had the biggest ****-eating grin on his face when he pulled back in the driveway. He was shocked by the peppiness of the engine and the speed that the transmission could shift.

Agreed. My girlfriend bought an '08 A4 2.0 quattro last year, and while I like it, I can't believe the new TT has the same engine. The TT really takes advantage of everything it can do.

My Audi dealer keeps insisting that the TT 2.0 quattro (DSG only, unfortunately) will be here by January... and by here he means here in the US, in the lot, ready to drive. I don't believe him, based on what I keep reading. I think that car will be fantastic if it ever does get here. The 2.0 is really an incredibly fun engine, far more so than its size and output would suggest.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drive a manual ******, too. Lots of fun except when you're stuck in stop and go traffic.

stamp0102

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think this is a real misconception. It literally takes most people about 2 hours to learn stick, and within 2 days you are driving around with ease. Within a week it's hard to remember what was so hard about it. Everyone learns stick on some car, those cars are not ruined.

I'm sure that is the case for most people. I drove stick for a few days and just was not happy with the experience. Although I liked having complete control over the car and the connected to the road feeling, I like to concentrate on driving when I am driving, without the need to worry about further eye-hand coordination (something I greatly lack to begin with). For me, the DSG offers the best setup; I can let the car shift for me as it feels necessary, or I can choose to shift the transmission myself, a la F1 style shifting, with gear changes a hell of a lot quicker than any human could do. To each their own, I guess.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, DSG is very fast and technologically advanced and all that, but I think that's missing the point. Nothing can replace the feeling of nailing the perfect heel-toe downshift as you approach the corner, or feathering the cluctch just enough to get the perfect launch... it's about enjoying the experince of driving.

stamp0102

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Sure, DSG is very fast and technologically advanced and all that, but I think that's missing the point. Nothing can replace the feeling of nailing the perfect heel-toe downshift as you approach the corner, or feathering the cluctch just enough to get the perfect launch... it's about enjoying the experince of driving.

I certainly agree with that.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree as well. It's all about the feeling of driving. Paddle shift cars remind me of playing Gran Turismo.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I agree as well. It's all about the feeling of driving. Paddle shift cars remind me of playing Gran Turismo.
I love to drive and just don't get the same sensation from paddle shifting as I do from a stick and clutch.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I drove stick for a few days and just was not happy with the experience. Although I liked having complete control over the car and the connected to the road feeling, I like to concentrate on driving when I am driving, without the need to worry about further eye-hand coordination (something I greatly lack to begin with). ...
There certainly are days and occasions when I don't want to deal with a stick shift, and drive an automatic instead.

Mauby

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd manual trans car...so after 9 years of driving stick, my next car is definitely going to have an automatic. Anyone try the new paddle-shifters that are on a number of cars now? They look like fun.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
I'm on my 2nd manual trans car...so after 9 years of driving stick, my next car is definitely going to have an automatic. Anyone try the new paddle-shifters that are on a number of cars now? They look like fun.
I've tried them but prefer a stick and clutch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads