• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audi R8

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know about the R8 and have experience with it? I've posted a couple threads here about car options and originally had a much lower budget but I can't stop looking at the R8. I know it would seem to be a frivolous purchase but I actually don't think it would be that dumb. They seem to be holding their value pretty well. I have the money to buy one outright with no financing. I'm specifically looking at the 4.2 V8 and I'd probably get a slightly used 09 or 10 when they start popping up. This would be a daily driver so I'm looking into reliability issues and maintenance costs. Anybody know? Thanks.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i ******* love those cars. i've had a few audis and right now have an A3. i haven't had any issues with it at all and just take it in for scheduled maintenance.

i also lucked out in that geico has the Mechanical Breakdown Insurance plan and covers pretty much everything an extended factory warranty would for a hell of a lot cheaper.

it's an audi, though, so you're gonna be rolling the dice with reliability i guess. maintenance costs are gonna be pretty high once you're out of any coverage that comes with the purchase. i'd highly recommend a certified pre-owned if you're going used.

you may wanna check out audiforums.com and vwvortex.com and ask around over there.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i ******* love those cars. i've had a few audis and right now have an A3. i haven't had any issues with it at all and just take it in for scheduled maintenance.

i also lucked out in that geico has the Mechanical Breakdown Insurance plan and covers pretty much everything an extended factory warranty would for a hell of a lot cheaper.

it's an audi, though, so you're gonna be rolling the dice with reliability i guess. maintenance costs are gonna be pretty high once you're out of any coverage that comes with the purchase. i'd highly recommend a certified pre-owned if you're going used.

you may wanna check out audiforums.com and vwvortex.com and ask around over there.

Thanks. I signed up for R8talk.com but they haven't activated my account so I can't post. It's been a couple days. How do you see depreciation going with these? My theory is that since I have the cash to buy one I won't be paying any interest. If they hold their value decently then I get to drive an awesome car for a while without losing a ton of money. Or will the 4.2's lose interest and drop in value with the v10's out now?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think they will hold their value so well? They aren't really limited production (like the Ford GT).

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Why do you think they will hold their value so well? They aren't really limited production (like the Ford GT).

Yea I guess not.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are nice looking cars. I wasn't a big fan when they first came out, but they have really grown on me since then.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think they'll hold up ok, especially if you're going used and let the original purchaser take the hit. then again, if you put 100K miles on it, you're looking at a lower resale. it's all relative.

blofeld

Reaction score
now that the V10 is out, the 4.2 looks a little wimpy. to my mind, if you're going to spend 130K, why not spend 160K for the true supercar.

satorstyle

Reaction score
The R8 is not a daily driver, consider a S6 or a S8. I have a R8 and my A8 is my regular driver. The suspension alone will not allow for comfortable driving in most instances.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
I think they're pretty ugly to be honest, and quite conspicuous. Audi has overdone it with the LED thing in all of their models and that big carbon fiber bit looks cheesy. I am under the impression though that it is very well engineered and very precise. Also, you risk associating yourself with all of the douchebags that drive their R8's in the winter because it has AWD.

If you're looking for something more passionate around that price range try an Aston Vantage or if you are brave enough a Corvette ZR1.

I think it's too early to tell how well they will hold their values - but that certainly shouldn't be a reason to buy a supercar.

Originally Posted by blofeld
now that the V10 is out, the 4.2 looks a little wimpy. to my mind, if you're going to spend 130K, why not spend 160K for the true supercar.

If an R8 is "too wimpy" for you then you are a real big timer. Remember, the 4.2 is at the top of his price range.

satorstyle

Reaction score
A quick aside you don't buy Audi's for their resell value, they have none. Also I don't consider the R8 to be unattractive, but it does remind me somewhat of a hopped up Nissan 350. The 4.2 is not a bad choice, but they have been suffering from carbon deposits of late.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
If you're looking for something more passionate around that price range try an Aston Vantage or if you are brave enough a Corvette ZR1.

I loved the R8 V10 + ZR1 road test on Top Gear.

"You want SPORT MODE?!"

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
I loved the R8 V10 + ZR1 road test on Top Gear.

"You want SPORT MODE?!"

The V10 would be my choice, but I can't imagine this car as a daily driver.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
to my mind, if you're going to spend 130K, why not spend 160K for the true supercar.
This isnt monopoly money! $30,000 is significant dont you think?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
This isnt monopoly money! $30,000 is significant dont you think?

Exactly. This would already be a ridiculous purchase and I have no interest in the v10.

And from the reviews I've read it actually could be a good daily driver. One of the video reviews I saw said it was the only daily drivable "super car." I'm not concerned about the harsh suspension. I can deal with that. I just want to make sure the motor will hold up and that it won't be in the shop every week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads