• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auctioneering industry - a veritable goldmine?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe, but I wouldn't call those cowboy hats with the huge feather in the front and the portable PA system low overhead..

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is the auctioneering industry a veritable goldmine given the fact that the auction house gets paid ~30% (15% buyer's premium + 15% seller's premium not to mention listing fee) of the sale price of anything they successfully auction off + the presumably low overheads?

Trenditional

Reaction score
I have a friend who is an auctioneer. He primarily sells cars, but he has sold livestock also. The one thing he has told me is it is "controlled" business. Behind the scenes, most of the auctions (no matter what is being sold - large scale) are controlled by a select few groups. Getting into the auction business is difficult. It took him knowing people and almost 5 years of apprenticeship before beign able to get behind the mic at an auction. Auctions are definitely affected by the economy. When the economy is good the money is good, when it is bad so is the money. My friend went from turning down work so that he wasn't working 7 days a week to struggling to work 3-4 days a week in the recent past.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, controlled by a tight cabal who manipulate the prices of portable PA systems to keep the business a tight oligopoly.

larry-01.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads