• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auction New Model 2014 Custom Briefcase by the Joseph P. Marcellino Bag Co.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We would like to introduce a new, original briefcase style never seen before this charity auction for the Ronald McDonald House. We strive to keep our designs original and fresh with a classic appeal that any professional would admire. We have named this briefcase category in honor of the Chinese inventor of paper Cai Lun. This briefcase will be the first of its kind, not just from the JP Marcellino Co. but it has qualities that no other bag maker has done, in particular an antique hand carved solid brass handle and our Strong Eye Latch design. Be assured you will have an original first of its kind.

Up for Auction: Cai Lun 2301 Custom English Bridle Leather Briefcase – Hand Carved Brass Handle & Process Photos

Cause: Styleforums Charity Drive for the Ronald McDonald House

Location To place Bids: http://www.styleforum.net/t/371247/...y-charity-drive-for-the-ronald-mcdonald-house

Auction Date: Thursday December 27, 2013 (day after Christmas)

Bid Starting Amount: $0

Manufacturer: The Joseph P. Marcellino Bag Company of Huntington New York – www.JPMarcellino.com

Styleforums Reviews & Process Photos (latest to oldest):
·
Complete Specifications:
  • · Cai Lun style 2301
  • · w16" x h12" x d2.5" (cm 41x30x6)
  • · Black Premium English Bridle Leather from The Hermann Oak Tannery (main body)
  • · Russet “Old World” English Harness leather from The Hermann Oak Tannery (minor parts)
  • · Double Solid Brass Strong Eye Latches
  • · Hand Carved Antique Solid Brass Handle
  • · 24” Drop Adjustable Shoulder Strap

Adjustments Allowed:
  • · Make entire briefcase with black bridle
  • · Smaller dimensions
  • · Single solid brass Strong Eye Latch
  • · Choice of hand carved solid brass handle

Notes:
The Strong Eye Brass Handle:
These handles are very limited in production and individually hand carved from solid brass. They are relatively light weight roughly about half a pound and do not add any noticeable weight to the briefcase, in fact it acts as a stabilizer to the top of the bag giving it a very firm feel. The handle drop is about 2” allowing for a comfortable grip.

The Strong Eye Latch: You can read more about our original design on the website. We built this latch style specifically for the professional attorney that is in and out of their bag multiple times per day. We incorporated a clean classic style that does not intrude in on the bag, a professional environment and the clothing. It is as strong and secure as a traditional buckle with minimal breakable parts made out of solid brass, but much easier to open and close. We include a leather loop as an extra form of security which is not normally needed. Here is a video explaining the step by step process of our latch.

0.jpg

Photos of the Cai Lun style 2301:

Last edited:
Reaction score
beautiful bag. Can this be made with a tan color?

Reaction score
that's fine. i have a good idea on what bridle leather is like but can you describe harness leather? how does it feel? how does it change over time compared to bridle?

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
this is an English style Harness leather from Hermann Oak. like the bridle it is veg tan, full grain but much softer. it is actually stuffed / soaked with tallows and waxes to "plump" it up during the tanning process. if you were cutting it the consistency would be like cutting into firm butter i guess. It is as strong as bridle if not stronger. it has a rustic look especially as it patinas and darken quite dramatically. i think in time as the harness darkens and the black bridle fades you will have a really nice looking leather briefcase. When you add the brass handle and how that will change, especially as the oils in your hand will patina the metal, you will have a beautiful looking Antique style briefcase.

Reaction score
can't wait to see this made. i am seriously thinking of getting one. do you have an idea when you will be posting?

i noticed on your website that you have other types of these brass handles, can i get one on another type of briefcase? i like those small thumb latch types

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i should get to this bag sometime next week, i will keep this thread posted.

i can put these brass handles on almost any bag. here are some images from my website of various handles i have in stock. Some i have 1 and others 2 or 3. These are not mass produced. they are hand made so even if i could find them again they will not be exactly the same. You need to check for availability before placing an order with a particular handle in the photos, i do not have some of them, for instance the horse that is used in this bag is no longer available. i looked all over for it and i can not find another. I usually check local antique dealers in NY and the tri-state but they are rare to begin with and hard to find.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i was able to get to this bag sooner than i thought. Here are some process photos and staging of the various parts of the briefcase with more to come. The harness leather band on the horse can be removed if not needed or wanted.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
here are the rest of the photos of the finished briefcase.

I made a custom black bridle snap on strap to hold the leather loops when not in use. I also made the backside yellow to give it a slight pop with the brass.

enjoy this briefcase, it was one of my favorites to make. One of the most asked about in the store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads