• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attolini or Brioni suit? which one?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new suit and was thinking Attolini or Brioni. I find the Attolini suits more flattering on me, but I've heard so much of Brioni from you guys that it makes me wonder.

Both are at/around the same price range and the fit/finish seem quite similar to me.

What are your takes on this one? Which ones do you all have and which would your prefer in your opinion?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attolini fits you - go with Attolini.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIT:
If you are skinny, or a low muscle tone, ectomorphic I'd go with Brioni to feel you out in the shoulders.

If you are mesomorphic, muscular Attolini would suit you better as you already have what Brioni would give you. Also you start to look a bit linebackerish if you are already built well with the unnecessary shoulder padding.

If you are pretty standard you could go either way depending on which silo you like best. Brioni has a more traditional, broader shoulder authoritative look.

Attolini is much leaner, soft shoulder etc. etc.
You can search the forum details ad nauseam.

Attolini quality is higher but I'd go with your build primarily and what image you want to project.

*If you are paying full retail you should go custom instead. Anything north of 2k for the RTW starts to get into custom price ranges of fair quality. However, Attolinis cut,design isn't a common US tailor look/cut so if you really want that look then perhaps it is justified to an extent if you don't have any odd physique issues.

These are two very different looking animals.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, for suits, I'd prefer brioni, but for sports jackets, attolini. I say this because for suits i'd want a more structured look, as opposed to the soft comfort of the attolini. It's more of an ass-kicking look for business imo. I think it was LAGuy that called the brioni silhouette the "don't **** with me silhouette." That's really the perfect description for it.

For the record, I own mostly borrelli, a little bespoke, and one attolini. But when i get around to making suits, I'm gonna have my tailor do something more structured. I've definitely lusted after the occasional brioni suit.

EDIT: And I disagree with Soph. I'm skinny and there's absolutely nobody that would say that my borrelli doesn't look fantastic on me, even next to my more structured bespoke. I buy 38R borrelli and even my tailor says they're just about perfect for me. What soph says sounds good in theory, but in practice, as long as you get the correct size, you'll look great unless there's something really wrong with your body, in which case bespoke is probably the answer. For something that is completely unstructured his point may be valid, but both attolini and borrelli can look good on a skinny guy. He may have a point for someone with huge shoulders. I'm speaking purely from personal experience here.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Attolini more. The quality issues between the two are basically nitpicks. They both are very nicely made garments. I have heard some custom tailors who believe that Brioni's quality is the very best in the RTW market today, and others say the same of Attolini. I can't think of another brand that has been mentioned as being at that same level by real tailors, but others have other opinions.

They both have a few styling "deficiencies" in my own opinion, but neither so much as to not like.

FWIW, I would in no way call Attolini relaxed looking, it is, IMO, on the Brioni side of the continium if only because of how lean it is.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Honestly, for suits, I'd prefer brioni, but for sports jackets, attolini. I say this because for suits i'd want a more structured look, as opposed to the soft comfort of the attolini. It's more of an ass-kicking look for business imo. I think it was LAGuy that called the brioni silhouette the "don't **** with me silhouette." That's really the perfect description for it.

For the record, I own mostly borrelli, a little bespoke, and one attolini. But when i get around to making suits, I'm gonna have my tailor do something more structured. I've definitely lusted after the occasional brioni suit.

EDIT: And I disagree with Soph. I'm skinny and there's absolutely nobody that would say that my borrelli doesn't look fantastic on me, even next to my more structured bespoke. I buy 38R borrelli and even my tailor says they're just about perfect for me. What soph says sounds good in theory, but in practice, as long as you get the correct size, you'll look great unless there's something really wrong with your body, in which case bespoke is probably the answer. For something that is completely unstructured his point may be valid, but both attolini and borrelli can look good on a skinny guy. He may have a point for someone with huge shoulders. I'm speaking purely from personal experience here.

I own a couple Zegnas, and (gasp) Armani Collezionis, Hugo Boss(italy) and Polo Italys..so both of them are an upgrade to me.

I also have broad shoulders so I just found that the length and tapered cut of the Attolini required very little tailoring than the brioni. I may be a bit too big for the brioni.

Thanks for your input!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Left to Right from an old post:
Attolini Borrelli Rubinacci Kiton (cut off) Brioni
The higher armhole and leaner look of Attolini and Borrelli, I would agree with Matt, portays an aggressive stance but in a different way than say Brioni. Actually they appear more aggressive than Brioni to me.

I'm not saying you look bad if you choose either which is what GQ is implying, But you may look more ideal choosing a suit structure and cut that compliments your body and also achieves the look want to project.

Brioni:
Indicated for hefty and skinny fellows as it gives you what nature/nuture haven't. I think Brioni can make a man out of you if you will, and is more forgiving than the neapolitan lean cuts to more hefty men. I don't think it necessarily looks bad, but a muscular guy with shoulders would look better in an Attolini than a Brioni imo. And to my eye it looks more ideal for a thin/skinny individual than neapolitans. It is a more broad silouhette in shoulers, lower armholes etc.

Attolini:
I think it's a poor choice for a hefty guy.

Again, if you fall in the normal category, then either may suffice.

Consider custom north of 2k especially on Brioni's style and cut.

25f0oow.jpg

Craig's musclar physique and Brioni stirke me as a bit linebackerish and not ideal or elegant. He's still look great in the movie, but ideal no.
2qiusuw.jpg

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures...i think Attolini is sounding more interesting.
Yeah I didn't know Brioni adds more shoulder..I don't need more shoulder at this time =)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attolini any day.

The construction has countless felicities that are lacking in Brioni or even Kiton. They make the best RTW suit I have ever seen by a long way.

Attolini looks good on less athletic figures as well because they have more structure than other Neapolitan suits.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Craig's musclar physique and Brioni stirke me as a bit linebackerish and not ideal or elegant. He's still look great in the movie, but ideal no.
2qiusuw.jpg
Agreed.

singlechange

Reaction score
I am almost six feet tall and approximately 160 in weight and have both Brioni and Ceasare Attolini suits which I wear on social occasions. More and more I seem to prefer the Attolini.

ranchsooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
Thanks for the pictures...i think Attolini is sounding more interesting.
Yeah I didn't know Brioni adds more shoulder..I don't need more shoulder at this time =)

If you are going to look at the Brioni, look at the Nomentano model. If I remember correctly, the Brioni style book shows it as being the softest/ most natural shoulder that they offer. I have several in this model, and it is about the only Brioni I would wear.

pkincy

Reaction score
Nighttrain,

Where in the Bay Area are you able to find Attolini?

Perry

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having recently purchased my first suit with very little padding, I have to say: I'm sold.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Nighttrain,

Where in the Bay Area are you able to find Attolini?

Perry

I'm actually going to buy my Attolini in newport beach down in Southern California. I go there quite often, and want to try it on/buy instead of mail order/internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads