1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Attn VC/PE Pros in NYC & Boston

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DShareef, Aug 3, 2006.

1. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

I work in Venture Capital in Upstate NY but I'm contemplating a move to either Boston or NYC. I'd like to stay in the field (or perhaps an adjacent one- I-Banking in M&A or LBO) but I am not up to date on appropriate interview attire in the big city Private Equity world. I know I'll be safe in a navy or charcoal suite, white shirt, simple tie and black shoes but I'd like to make it clear that I can dress the part. French cuffs? Contrasting collars?

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

D

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Never contrasting colors for an interview. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY [​IMG] navy or charcoal suit with a white or blue shirt will serve you well. Brown shoes can add some nice but not flashy spice to the outfit. If you get the job, you'll most likely spend your days in the office amongst people in khaki's and button downs anyway [​IMG]

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Never contrasting colors for an interview. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY [​IMG] navy or charcoal suit with a white or blue shirt will serve you well. Brown shoes can add some nice but not flashy spice to the outfit. If you get the job, you'll most likely spend your days in the office amongst people in khaki's and button downs anyway [​IMG]

Ditto

Except that I would stay away from brown shoes for an interview. There are some overly conservative people out there who think that brown shoes are not appropriate in finance... (I know I work with some of them...[​IMG])

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Black shoes and a solid shirt with barrel cuffs.

5. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY [​IMG]

Actually, my group specializes in funding agricultural startups. [​IMG] There aren't that many farms in Albany. I probably should have said central NY but in relation to the city, Albany is upstate.

Thanks for the advice. Are you guys in the field? As much as I value everyone's opinion, I have seen threads on this board where a member attempted to reach out to professionals in a very specific vertical and advice was proffered by folks in completely different fields.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

We used to say the same thing about Palo Alto...

7. AAA

AAA Senior member

Just go the ultra conservative route. At my fund, as long as you aren't wearing something wild, the last thing anyone will care about are your clothes. That being said, though, there may be enough people interviewing for a slot that the interviewers are looking for anything to eliminate candidates. You wouldn't think brown shoes or contrasting collars would matter, but you never know....

8. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

Good advise AAA. There's no point hurting my chances because the interviewer has a thing about brown shoes. I'll probably go with either a solid navy or charcoal pinstripe suit, white shirt and tie with stripes. I hope AE Sanfords are appropriate. Thanks.

9. royal618

royal618 Senior member

Good advise AAA. There's no point hurting my chances because the interviewer has a thing about brown shoes. I'll probably go with either a solid navy or charcoal pinstripe suit, white shirt and tie with stripes. I hope AE Sanfords are appropriate. Thanks.

Take the solid navy over pinstripe for conservatism. Stripes, keep it toned down and nothing too bright and you'll be fine.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for the advice. Are you guys in the field?
    Yes

11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the advice. Are you guys in the field?

I play right field.

12. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

I play right field.
    Right field? You must have a cannon.

13. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Should you move to Boston dress like a funeral director from Akron, OH.
    Also, learn to drive a car. If you've never driven in Boston, you've never driven...