• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attn: Canadian business people - Dragon's Den

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone watch this Dragon's Den show on CBC? Are these people on the show actually the big shots the show portrays them to be?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of them are billionaires, but they're not celebrities like Donald Trump. Before that show, I had never heard of them either.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just watched it tonight actually. i really like it. they are definately extremely extremely wealthy.got into it i think it was 2 seasons ago.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The show is pretty good. It just seems like they might be inflated for TV purposes.

The one guy, who is bald with the bad attitude, really seems to know his stuff. Three different products came up and he immediately knew the hurdles they had to overcome for THAT business in particular and he personally never dealt in those business before. Just seems to be all around savvy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dragon's den is the name of a canadian TV show about business? Like I needed another reminder of why i don't watch canadian tv....

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
dragon's den is the name of a canadian TV show about business? Like I needed another reminder of why i don't watch canadian tv....

Yes. It is quite lame, but some of the business ideas are neat.

BYucko

Reaction score
The name came from the Japanese "mother" show, and we know how those Japs love those dragon-ey things.

I watched it for a while ago. I respected the La Senza guy. Cool dude.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a Canadian adaptation of the BBC show?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

I don't know, but being a show about business, you'd think they'd have a clue about branding. It sounds like something to do with Dungeons & Dragons.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
The show is pretty good. It just seems like they might be inflated for TV purposes.
Everything on TV is.
Originally Posted by LVoer
Three different products came up and he immediately knew the hurdles they had to overcome for THAT business in particular and he personally never dealt in those business before. Just seems to be all around savvy.
That's because you only see half the story. I'm sure the Dragons all have employees to review business ideas in painstaking detail before they even start filming to pre-screen bad ideas and make sure all the assumptions are reasonable. I'm 100% sure they're all briefed on each business plan before the cameras go on. No sane person could hand out a couple of hundred grand based on a 3 minute pitch, no matter how savvy they are. I'm sure I can't just walk in with a idea, tell him I'm projecting $500K profit after 5 years and have them cut me a 6 figure check without so much as looking at a sales forecast to see if I'm just making up numbers as I go along.
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yeah, they have it in like 10 countries now.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its basically the canadian version of "American Inventor", it can be entertaining.
Some really goofy ideas come up.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it is not just inventions, though there are some. The real substance is the business plan.

It is actually a pretty good show.

GQgeek, you never even watched Degrassi (the original)?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR

GQgeek, you never even watched Degrassi (the original)?

No.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
No.

Admittedly, most Canadian TV is rubbish.

But you must have forgotten that Kids in the Hall was Canadian. (And if you claim to have not watched or not liked it, you've just forfeited your right to an opinion.)

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Everything on TV is.

That's because you only see half the story. I'm sure the Dragons all have employees to review business ideas in painstaking detail before they even start filming to pre-screen bad ideas and make sure all the assumptions are reasonable. I'm 100% sure they're all briefed on each business plan before the cameras go on. No sane person could hand out a couple of hundred grand based on a 3 minute pitch, no matter how savvy they are.

I'm sure I can't just walk in with a idea, tell him I'm projecting $500K profit after 5 years and have them cut me a 6 figure check without so much as looking at a sales forecast to see if I'm just making up numbers as I go along.

Yeah, they have it in like 10 countries now.

See I would have thought that all offers were conditional based on what they found out AFTER they met the person, seems like it would be a waste to me to review the businesses before they even agree to invest in them. I figured they would have been told by the producers that if you lie to the Dragon's and they offer you something based on the lie you are not entitled to it.

But your scenario is possible to, it could explain why that one guy already knows so much about each market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads