• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire for the wedding party

PeterMetro

Reaction score
My very good friend is getting married on Labor Day in Martha's Vineyard. I am in the wedding party. It's an outdoor, afternoon wedding. They have said they do not want formal wear.

Now, the bride's (who is also a friend) idea is to have the groomsmen in trousers with shirts and matching floral ties. Now one of us thinks we should wear jackets, the other doesn't. I promised I wouldn't state my bias and look to you for your opinions.

Thoughts?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No coat at a wedding is a seriously cheesy idea. But since it's not your wedding, you have to do what the principals want you to do. Check with them. It would be humiliating to the groom if he wore no coat and you did. It will be humiliating enough simply for him to be in his shirtsleeves. You shouldn't rub it in.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you want to go for a less "formal" look than ditch the tie (esp. if it's floral print), but stick with jackets. Maybe the groomsmen could do matching pocket squares or something. Obviously you have to go along with whatever the bride and groom want, but suggestion is a powerful force...
wink.gif
Hope this helps. A.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Informal wedding -- better off going with no tie than no jacket. Does she want the guy to look like a grocery store employee? Plus, the guy will be sweating probably -- does she really want him to have pit stains for the pictures? Put on a jacket...

Women are nuts though, seriously. I was in Brooks Brothers the other day and the bride to be was picking out a tux outfit for the groom (groom was there). What did they want: "High three button notch lapel tux. Ivory shirt (to match her dress). Silver long tie." I'm going to blame that on the woman.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL @ jn3

I agree with the above posts: get everyone to wear a jacket

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rather burn a "'High three button notch lapel tux'" than wear it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No doubt it has a center vent, flapped slant pockets, and uncovered plastic buttons that don't kiss.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the "athlete/sports play-by-play man syndrome." I seriously think that's the appeal of the high three button -- if it's good enough for Howie, it's good enough for me.

What people don't understand is (1) athlete's aren't the models of style, and (2) a high three button looks different when the guy wearing it is sitting behind a desk. Between a three button and Brian Williams's two buttons, I think the three button looks better for television purposes.

johnw86

Reaction score
No doubt it has a center vent, flapped slant pockets, and uncovered plastic buttons that don't kiss.
To quote the movie "In and Out": "It's the 'Torme' model."
biggrin.gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) athlete's aren't the models of style
Dear God, what if they all dressed like Deion Sanders? God forbid.

On a somewhat lighter note, I have noticed that rappers and athletes tend to be willing to spend a lot to "look good". Now, they almost always seem to have very different ideas about what "looking good" means than most of us, but they consistently stress the importance of it.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Seems like the consensus is to wear jackets. I might as well tell you now that I was pushing hard for jackets too. Her concern was that everyone would look like prep schoolers.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and i think you can get them to change their minds by mentioning the grocery clerk/bank teller look.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the consensus is to wear jackets.  I might as well tell you now that I was pushing hard for jackets too.  Her concern was that everyone would look like prep schoolers.
LOL... Between a prep schooler and a bank teller, I'll take prep schooler every time.

But seriously, a "jacket" doesn't mean awful cotton khaki pants and a blue fused blazer. Try to find something in a lighter shade and wear something other than khaki pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads