Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Attire for the wedding party

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PeterMetro, Feb 14, 2005.

1. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

My very good friend is getting married on Labor Day in Martha's Vineyard. I am in the wedding party. It's an outdoor, afternoon wedding. They have said they do not want formal wear.

Now, the bride's (who is also a friend) idea is to have the groomsmen in trousers with shirts and matching floral ties. Now one of us thinks we should wear jackets, the other doesn't. I promised I wouldn't state my bias and look to you for your opinions.

Thoughts?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No coat at a wedding is a seriously cheesy idea. But since it's not your wedding, you have to do what the principals want you to do. Check with them. It would be humiliating to the groom if he wore no coat and you did. It will be humiliating enough simply for him to be in his shirtsleeves. You shouldn't rub it in.

3. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I think if you want to go for a less "formal" look than ditch the tie (esp. if it's floral print), but stick with jackets. Maybe the groomsmen could do matching pocket squares or something. Obviously you have to go along with whatever the bride and groom want, but suggestion is a powerful force... [​IMG] Hope this helps. A.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Informal wedding -- better off going with no tie than no jacket. Does she want the guy to look like a grocery store employee? Plus, the guy will be sweating probably -- does she really want him to have pit stains for the pictures? Put on a jacket...

Women are nuts though, seriously. I was in Brooks Brothers the other day and the bride to be was picking out a tux outfit for the groom (groom was there). What did they want: "High three button notch lapel tux. Ivory shirt (to match her dress). Silver long tie." I'm going to blame that on the woman.

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

LOL @ jn3

I agree with the above posts: get everyone to wear a jacket

6. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

jn3 nails it. jackets are a must.

7. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I would rather burn a "'High three button notch lapel tux'" than wear it.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No doubt it has a center vent, flapped slant pockets, and uncovered plastic buttons that don't kiss.

9. johnnynorman3

It's the "athlete/sports play-by-play man syndrome." I seriously think that's the appeal of the high three button -- if it's good enough for Howie, it's good enough for me.

What people don't understand is (1) athlete's aren't the models of style, and (2) a high three button looks different when the guy wearing it is sitting behind a desk. Between a three button and Brian Williams's two buttons, I think the three button looks better for television purposes.

10. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

To quote the movie "In and Out": "It's the 'Torme' model." [​IMG]

11. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Dear God, what if they all dressed like Deion Sanders? God forbid.

On a somewhat lighter note, I have noticed that rappers and athletes tend to be willing to spend a lot to "look good". Now, they almost always seem to have very different ideas about what "looking good" means than most of us, but they consistently stress the importance of it.

12. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Seems like the consensus is to wear jackets. I might as well tell you now that I was pushing hard for jackets too. Her concern was that everyone would look like prep schoolers.

13. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

off white linen suits and shirts, no tie.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

and i think you can get them to change their minds by mentioning the grocery clerk/bank teller look.

15. johnnynorman3

LOL... Between a prep schooler and a bank teller, I'll take prep schooler every time.

But seriously, a "jacket" doesn't mean awful cotton khaki pants and a blue fused blazer. Try to find something in a lighter shade and wear something other than khaki pants.