• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire for a Week-Long Business Event

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
I was recently invited to a leadership event for my job (tech industry). The invitation calls for Business Casual attire and states, "Nice jeans and wholesome shirts are acceptable."

I have a colleague who went in past years and said that he saw quite a few blazers with jeans. The problem is that the event is in a little over a week and I don't own a blazer (I only own a light gray suit and a black three-piece suit). Unfortunately, given my smaller body type, I can't find any suit coats that fit off the rack, so I have to get them made-to-measure.

What should I wear to this event? Like I said, it will be in a little over a week in the midwest. I'm willing to go on a shopping spree to get clothing for the event, so any suggestions are welcome. Opinions on cardigans, sweaters, and ties are also appreciated.

Thank you very much!

BrandOfAction

Reaction score
All of the things that you mentioned are acceptable (except for the black 3 piece suit). Pick a few outfits, load up on condoms and have a great week.

Thanks for the help. I really wish I wouldn't have purchased that black three-piece suit. It was before I had done my research and now I barely wear it. I don't even know if it's a good idea to wear to any event.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I really wish I wouldn't have purchased that black three-piece suit. It was before I had done my research and now I barely wear it. I don't even know if it's a good idea to wear to any event.

There are some situations where you CAN wear it, but a lot of the guys here wouldn't recommend it. If you have some type of company dinner, you COULD wear a black suit. You could wear it to a night club. You could also wear it for a day out on the town. Again, a lot of the members here wouldn't recommend it (I wouldn't recommend it), but in real life, most people wouldn't think twice about a man in a black suit. Just don't wear black tie, black shoes, black everything. You have it, so you'd might as well get some use out of it.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear the jacket of your black suit as a blazer. It is not ideal, but it does the job given the circumstances.

AMG1

Reaction score
Try to get a navy blazer. I wouldn't wear a tie together with jeans, and try to get decent shirts although this will be difficult as well given your small build.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads