Attire for a Week-Long Business Event

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BrandOfAction, Sep 28, 2012.

1. BrandOfAction

BrandOfAction Well-Known Member

I was recently invited to a leadership event for my job (tech industry). The invitation calls for Business Casual attire and states, "Nice jeans and wholesome shirts are acceptable."

I have a colleague who went in past years and said that he saw quite a few blazers with jeans. The problem is that the event is in a little over a week and I don't own a blazer (I only own a light gray suit and a black three-piece suit). Unfortunately, given my smaller body type, I can't find any suit coats that fit off the rack, so I have to get them made-to-measure.

What should I wear to this event? Like I said, it will be in a little over a week in the midwest. I'm willing to go on a shopping spree to get clothing for the event, so any suggestions are welcome. Opinions on cardigans, sweaters, and ties are also appreciated.

Thank you very much!

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

All of the things that you mentioned are acceptable (except for the black 3 piece suit). Pick a few outfits, load up on condoms and have a great week.

3. BrandOfAction

BrandOfAction Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. I really wish I wouldn't have purchased that black three-piece suit. It was before I had done my research and now I barely wear it. I don't even know if it's a good idea to wear to any event.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

There are some situations where you CAN wear it, but a lot of the guys here wouldn't recommend it. If you have some type of company dinner, you COULD wear a black suit. You could wear it to a night club. You could also wear it for a day out on the town. Again, a lot of the members here wouldn't recommend it (I wouldn't recommend it), but in real life, most people wouldn't think twice about a man in a black suit. Just don't wear black tie, black shoes, black everything. You have it, so you'd might as well get some use out of it.

5. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Wear the jacket of your black suit as a blazer. It is not ideal, but it does the job given the circumstances.

6. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

Try to get a navy blazer. I wouldn't wear a tie together with jeans, and try to get decent shirts although this will be difficult as well given your small build.