• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire for a "4 Diamond Restaurant" [wrong forum?]

xperii

Reaction score
My friend and I have asked two wonderful ladies for a dinner double-date. we're all in our early 20's and quite frankly pretty green to this sort of thing as we all come from rural Alaska (we all live in Anchorage now, though). We don't have very many fine dining establishments in Anchorage, but the Crows Nest up top a 30-something story hotel is the nicest place downtown Anchorage has to offer.

here is the website: http://www.captaincook.com/crowsnest.php

I was just wondering what kind of attire one might wear to a 4 diamond establishment? I was thinking of doing some dark wash jeans with a blazer and pocket square with no tie... Would that be good?

One of the girls was also wondering what she should wear, as our closets are usually occupied by carhartts and XTRATUFF boots. I suggested a "little black dress." But I digress....

Any helpful tips or comments appreciated!
teacha.gif

xperii

Reaction score
I've noticed a trend of getting zero feedback, I'm beginning to think everyone hates me ;(

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is probably just fine. Perhaps a bit overdressed looking at the pictures.
By the way, how many diamonds go into a star?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Is probably just fine. Perhaps a bit overdressed looking at the pictures.
By the way, how many diamonds go into a star?

I think 5 diamond = 2 Stars. But I've been to a couple of 5 star places that I would consider 3 star.

xperii

Reaction score
well, from what i understand its broken down like this:

AAA started the diamond system, 1 to 5 diamonds
michelin stars are rated on a 1-3 star system (yes the tire company)

and then there is some other rating system that i cannot think of right now.

killua

Reaction score
Don't stress it and wear what you usually would for any other restaurant, while dressing appropriate to the rest of your group.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket and button down shirt. No tie, no jeans, no sneakers or boots and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xperii
I've noticed a trend of getting zero feedback, I'm beginning to think everyone hates me ;(

You posted in the middle of the night and expect feedback in an hour and a half?
musicboohoo[1].gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
animal skins that you killed yourself and jeans.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Anchorage is VERY casual compared to well almost any other US city. I think that what you proposed is fine; nice jeans and a sports coat and a nice shirt is just fine. Or you might want to wear khakis instead of jeans, or a nice pair of dress pants. You really don't want to be significantly over or under dressed compared to your dates. If the women are wearing "little black dresses," you don't want to be wearing jeans! Restaurant ratings: AAA does ratings and gives out diamonds. Michelin is the grand-daddy of restaurant rating systems and gives out stars. There is no way to compare the two as they are both subjective. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restaurant_rating

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xperii
Any helpful tips or comments appreciated!
teacha.gif

Call the restaurant and ask them.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Anchorage is VERY casual compared to well almost any other US city. I think that what you proposed is fine; nice jeans and a sports coat and a nice shirt is just fine. Or you might want to wear khakis instead of jeans, or a nice pair of dress pants.

This. Anchorage is a very unique place. I have a few stories about doing work in the city. I wouldn't overdo it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics