ATTENTION: Re. starting new threads. You are not a special flower

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 25, 2009.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

why not just make a sub-forum for random questions to split them up from the affiliate/brand threads? the random question thread is too chaotic and that's why it spills into the forum

Not to be a waiseass, but how about a 'random banter' thread as well?

IMO, stuff also spills into the forum because some may see reading fifty pages of a thread (to glean one small answer that may or may not be specific to their question or the brand 'x' they're asking about) as a difficult and time consuming task, and could be a dead end.

Starting a new thread may receive only one or two responses, but may also specifically answer the dude's question "does your crotch rivet pinch ya in funny places too?" question, which a longer thread may not. Or maybe he's 'pinch-curious' in which case we should all be gentle...

If I browsed this site only for expedient answers, I'd be impatient too, but honestly, I know I look here for entertainment too, so I take the bad with the good.

2. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Senior member

Not to be a waiseass, but how about a 'random banter' thread as well?

IMO, stuff also spills into the forum because some may see reading fifty pages of a thread (to glean one small answer that may or may not be specific to their question or the brand 'x' they're asking about) as a difficult and time consuming task, and could be a dead end.

Starting a new thread may receive only one or two responses, but may also specifically answer the dude's question "does your crotch rivet pinch ya in funny places too?" question, which a longer thread may not. Or maybe he's 'pinch-curious' in which case we should all be gentle...

If I browsed this site only for expedient answers, I'd be impatient too, but honestly, I know I look here for entertainment too, so I take the bad with the good.

see "random fashion thoughts"

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

Like I said and I was the first to say it stop spoon feeding the noobs if they start a thread asking inane questions that have been asked a thousand times. If some of you still don't understand this and want to help EACH AND EVERY NOOB with the same damn questions over and over again please take it to PM with them. This is a futile, repetitive cycle that will never end.

/rant

4. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Why not just make some of the more regular posters moderators, and in a thread like that just link to the megathread and lock it? There's like no active mods here.

5. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

They're active, but they've got lives and jobs and it's a big forum. Some of those threads can grow into meaningful topics, so the mods let them run for a bit. For the rest of the time, we can control ourselves and just stop giving into them.

6. TyroneFig

TyroneFig Senior member

What a stupid ass topic.
    "If you have such a questions, please ask them there. I realize that you may not get as many responses as you might if you posted a new thread"

Then shouldn't people make new threads? I mean hey they WANT many responses, that's the point. Threads are free, so let them.

"but you will also not annoy longtime readers and posters."

What is so annoying about seeing an extra topic? You don't have to read it, you don't have to click it.

idiot

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

Is that signed, idiot?

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

What is so annoying about seeing an extra topic? You don't have to read it, you don't have to click it.

because eighty fucking topics about basic denim questions that could be asked in the denim megathread bump down topics that are actually interesting

9. TyroneFig

TyroneFig Senior member

because eighty fucking topics about basic denim questions that could be asked in the denim megathread bump down topics that are actually interesting

TOo freaking bad. Click on page 2. Non interesting topics will obviously fall off.

I'm sorry but I am on the side of the people that don't like to scan through 3902 pages in a topic about jeans

10. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

TOo freaking bad. Click on page 2. Non interesting topics will obviously fall off.

I'm sorry but I am on the side of the people that don't like to scan through 3902 pages in a topic about jeans

or you could just ask your question in the jean topic, most people are kind enough about answering and i don't think anyone really expects you to read the whole thread

11. TyroneFig

TyroneFig Senior member

or you could just ask your question in the jean topic, most people are kind enough about answering and i don't think anyone really expects you to read the whole thread

Yeah I've tried that like 90 times.. never works

seriously every forum I've gone too for years everyone complains about people making new threads. It's like SO WHAT. They're words on a screen, not an extra box in a physical room crowding you out forcing you to do stuff

12. skunkworks

skunkworks Senior member

I'd rather not have shitty noob threads pushing the good ones to the next page. It makes a difference when you're trying to moderate a large forum like this.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

nm not worth it

14. TyroneFig

TyroneFig Senior member

Yeah. I'd bet $100 that at least one sheep who's bought into this mentality was actually shocked and SURPRISED that I'd have a differing opinion.

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Yeah. I'd bet $100 that at least one sheep who's bought into this mentality was actually shocked and SURPRISED that I'd have a differing opinion.

calling people who disagree with you "sheep" is so fucking middle school "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" bullshit