• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attention Gearheads: K&N Airfilters, Yea or Nay?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're supposed to boost fuel efficiency and horsepower.

Do any of you all use these? If yes, what are your thoughts?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use them. Don't know if they do improve power or fuel but they last ages and that alone saves cash.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one on a mildly built smallblock Impala. Good product.
thumbs-up.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marginal improvement, if any. Make sure to keep it clean and don't use too much oil.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What car do you drive? Ix nay on highly tuned modern engines as it will worsen performance and shorten engine life.

--Andre

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
What car do you drive? Ix nay on highly tuned modern engines as it will worsen performance and shorten engine life.

--Andre

I drive a 2002 E55 AMG. I take this engine falls into the modern, highly-tuned category you're talking about?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
I use them. Don't know if they do improve power or fuel but they last ages and that alone saves cash.
+1. A drop-in filter won't change much other than not having to replace the filter as often. A small "quick" improvement would be a short ram intake like this:
h513690015R-f_dgp.jpg
I remember taking my car to a QuikLube as I didn't have time to take it to my regular mechanic. Of course, they did an "inspection" and give "recommendations" on what should be changed or fixed. The radiator fluid needed to be flushed (did it two weeks before) and that my three month old K&N filter was "dirty" and needed to be replaced. Those places are such a scam.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I drive a 2002 E55 AMG. I take this engine falls into the modern, highly-tuned category you're talking about?

Yes. With an engine like that, I would not touch a K&N filter with a 10-foot pole. If you do want to use one, you have to really keep on top of the maintenance of the filter.

--Andre

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that K&N can be hit or miss depending on your specific car. Some cars get more out of a filter upgrade than others depending on how restrictive their current system is.

If you really want a performance boost I would look at a filter + ECU upgrade from Renntech or from another Mercedes Tuner. Will probably boost fuel efficiency too.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. With an engine like that, I would not touch a K&N filter with a 10-foot pole. If you do want to use one, you have to really keep on top of the maintenance of the filter.

--Andre

Thanks for the advice. I'll stay with the OEM. What deleterious effect does it have on a high-performance engine?

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filter maintenance isn't that difficult really. I have a pop charger in mine and I remove it in the spring, wash it off, dry, and reoil. Then repeat the next year. Unless you live in dusty conditions or with lots of sediment it doesn't need any more.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Thanks for the advice. I'll stay with the OEM. What deleterious effect does it have on a high-performance engine?

The aerodynamics of a high-performance engine's intake is highly optimized. You can't just change a filter and expect things to get better on those kinds of engines. People who have done flow tests on these filters found them indistinguishable from stock, and sometimes they performed worse. They always perform worse for filtering grit, and their airflow drops if you don't keep on top of their maintenance.

The biggest difference cold-air intakes make is the sound you hear from the intake. It's not hard to mistake that for more performance.

If you really want to optimize the performance of your car, go to a track school. Not only will you learn skills that you can take with you to any car you own in the future (unlike mods done to an existing car), but after a few schools, you'll get a better idea of what areas of improvement truly apply to your car.

--Andre

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The aerodynamics of a high-performance engine's intake is highly optimized. You can't just change a filter and expect things to get better on those kinds of engines. People who have done flow tests on these filters found them indistinguishable from stock, and sometimes they performed worse. They always perform worse for filtering grit, and their airflow drops if you don't keep on top of their maintenance.

The biggest difference cold-air intakes make is the sound you hear from the intake. It's not hard to mistake that for more performance.

If you really want to optimize the performance of your car, go to a track school. Not only will you learn skills that you can take with you to any car you own in the future (unlike mods done to an existing car), but after a few schools, you'll get a better idea of what areas of improvement truly apply to your car.

--Andre

Close thread - 'nuff said!
teacha.gif

aXis888x

Reaction score
What car do you drive? Ix nay on highly tuned modern engines as it will worsen performance and shorten engine life. --Andre
this isnt totally true, if you find an intake that was designed for the car it will improve performance and efficiency bu it will make your car louder because generally aftermarket intakes arent covered up. but with a E55 AMG you would have to find something a bit better than K&N since K&N doesnt usually make stuff for cars that nice, they tend to focus on civics and mustangs. if you want an intake that would actually do something i would look into the GruppeM intake system, its suppose to give you 10-20hp. its a ram air system made out of all carbon fiber, very well designed. http://www.racingambitions.com/catal...b954b0ad35d2f2 http://www.gruppem.co.jp/en/product/...plication.html
fri0120.jpg
btw, GruppeM also makes a nice supercharger for the e55
biggrin.gif
you know you want it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads