• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

attention fishermen!!!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
A serious inquiry: I am writing a term paper on aquaculture industry and the United States policy toward fish farms in Chile and one of the requirements is to include a short interview with someone!!! If anyone can help me I will be thinking of some questions... greatly appreciated!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
yeah hopefully someone in the industry or has some kind of affiliations.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I may be able to help you, I work on the water but I'm not a commercial fisherman myself. Both my uncles fish salmon commercially in Alaska and the guys from the Deadliest Catch drink at the same bar I do (the Smokeshop in Ballard). No promises but, I can be relatively sure that I could get someone to do it on the condition you lie about where you know me from. PM if interested.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
on the condition you lie about where you know me from. PM if interested.

laugh.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the internet bulletin boards out there, I would not come to a Manhattan-centric styleforum about high-end mens clothes to interview commercial fishermen.

With that said, the 'new' style Carhardt coats they've been wearing on Deadliest Catch are pretty nice, a friend just bought one.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I briefly ran an aquaculture operation in Florida (bivalves) and studied paddlefish in Montana and ND. I could BS if necessary.

Most commercial fishermen aren't exactly the styeforum type.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
I may be able to help you, I work on the water but I'm not a commercial fisherman myself. Both my uncles fish salmon commercially in Alaska and the guys from the Deadliest Catch drink at the same bar I do (the Smokeshop in Ballard). No promises but, I can be relatively sure that I could get someone to do it on the condition you lie about where you know me from. PM if interested.
If you can find someone I will tell them i'm your coworker's sister's cousin or whatever you like.
smile.gif
i know i know styleforum was a long shot but its a good resource!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Most commercial fishermen aren't exactly the styeforum type.

except you!
worship.gif

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
If you can find someone I will tell them i'm your coworker's sister's cousin or whatever you like.
smile.gif

i know i know styleforum was a long shot but its a good resource!

Eh, I said 'relatively sure' because I'm a little lethargic. Just tell me what you want and I'll see what I can do. I can definitely get you an interview, I'm just not that sure how informed they are of the Chilean situation. If they meet your standards I'll give you a phone number and a time (PM, of course).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the guys from the Deadliest Catch drink at the same bar I do (the Smokeshop in Ballard).
That bar is weird/depressing/cool. My then-friends and I hung out and drank with Josh Homme and Jesse Hughes there after their EODM "secret show". They thought my friend could find drugs for them, but he failed.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was a commercial fisherman once, but I know nothing about Chile.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
That bar is weird/depressing/cool. My then-friends and I hung out and drank with Josh Homme and Jesse Hughes there after their EODM "secret show". They thought my friend could find drugs for them, but he failed.

There is a funny story about that but it won't be posted on the internet.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aquaculture is fish farming. There's usually not a lot of "fishing" involved, unless you have one of those restaurants where you let the kids catch their own fish, then fry it up for them.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You might try contacting Scripps (at UCSD) or Stanford's Marine Research Lab and see if they can help put you in touch with someone. Harvard, UCLA, and Georgia (among many others, no doubt) have robust marine research programs. I think they tend to focus more on marine biology, but certainly will have folks working on aquaculture and may have leads or contacts with policy/industry people. I'd also imagine there are some commercial fishing trade organizations out there that would be googleable.

If you're really stuck, PM me. My brother's academic background is in marine bio and aquaculture and formerly studied/worked at a couple of the places I mentioned (he's the smart one in the family; come to think of it, he's also the good-looking one, the athletic one, and the charming one -- the little bastard). I doubt he knows anyone with the particular expertise you're looking for, but might be able to point you in helpful directions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads