• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attending an opera -- no suits or lounge coats (!)

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
On Saturday, I'm attending the first of two performances of the opera, Carmina Burana; last November, I was in a similar situation with a dress rehearsal for an opera. Once again, I need some advice. My wardrobe is so basic to the extent that I don't even have a lounge suit or a blazer [yet]. What can I possibly wear? As a reference, here is a list of some of things in my wardrobe: Shirts: Oxford shirts (blue and white) Pants: Grey (cotton) and black (wool) -- these are from before I joined Styleforum. Sweaters: Solid v-necks in black, navy, and red; navy cardigan Neckties: Solid navy; red-and-navy repp stripe Shoes: Black captoes and chestnut chelsea boots

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't need to dress up for the opera anymore.

LukeM

Reaction score
^But if he decides dress up he has two options

1. Wear pants, shirt, and tie
2. Pick up a suit which you are already going to buy from BB at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
So, all of the sort of posts I've seen for what to wear for x occasion typically come from people older than myself, and, when one has a smaller wardrobe than almost anyone on this forum (e.g., no suits, outerwear, or sport coats [yet]), can all of you give some advice on what to wear for the following occasion? Tomorrow night, I'm going to the dress rehearsal for a show from the Opera San Jose

From my wardrobe, here are some of the items I have in mind:

Shirts: Dress shirt (blue, white), oxford (blue)
Pants: Dress pants (black, gray), chino pants (gray, medium tan)
Shoes: Black captoes, shell cordovan bluchers

My response last year:

I went to one in San Francisco last Spring. It was in the afternoon.
I wore a cashmere wool houndstooth sportcoat, tan twill slacks,
suede shoes and a non solid color dress shirt without a tie. Put on tie
for Style Forum Meet-Up in the evening. At the rehearsal I was one
of the most "dressed-up".

Don't sweat it. Just look neat and clean.
BTW, Carmina Burana is not an Opera.
Opera's date from around 1600.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana

PregnantBob

Reaction score
Not to be a stickler but that doesn't look like a formal event. I don't remember wearing a dinner suit to anything that cost less than 20 dollars to attend.

Just go with a collared shirt, pants and polished shoes. Tie in this case is optional

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
of the most "dressed-up".

Don't sweat it. Just look neat and clean.
BTW, Carmina Burana is not an Opera.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana

Agreed Carmina Burana is not an opera but I am not sure of the relevance of your following comment. Operas may well date from 1600 but continue to be written and performed, right up to the present day.

To the OP: just look as presentable as you can, given your wardrobe limitations!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
Agreed Carmina Burana is not an opera but I am not sure of the relevance of your following comment. Operas may well date from 1600 but continue to be written and performed, right up to the present day.

To the OP: just look as presentable as you can, given your wardrobe limitations!

Carmina Burana is based on Medieval Texts. That was my point. It was only set to music by
Carl Orff in 1936

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have plenty to choose from - no need whatever to dress for the opera nowadays.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
You have plenty to choose from - no need whatever to dress for the opera nowadays.
True, sadly.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Strange statement that is completely false. Opera was, in fact, in its early stages in the 1600s. It wasn't until the late 18th century did opera become really popular. Still, Carmina isn't an opera. The is no acting. It's more of a collection of songs for soloists, choir and orchestra, somewhat like an oratorio. Anyway, on topic, if you wear a nice shirt and pants you'll be fine. I'd invest in a properly fitting navy blazer if I were you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads