1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Attending a wedding this Saturday...need help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by siara, Sep 20, 2006.

1. siara

siara New Member

This coming Saturday I'm attending a wedding.

Party will start @ 6.30pm.

I have a navy blue pinstriped suite.

I'm not sure what color shirt / tie combo to wear? A girl that I'm going with will wear a black evening gown.

Any ideas, suggestions? White shirt , pink tie, silver tie? Light blue shirt with ..... tie?

How do I match cufflinks with the shirt and tie?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

If you have a solid dark suit, I would wear that over pinstripes. Wear a white shirt. I prefer a silver tie to pink for the evening but would go with a darker black or midnight blue solid or tone-on-tone pattern. Wear whatever metal links you have (no tie rack, novelty, golf thingies though), preferably double-sided in silver, which I would match with a silver belt buckle (or gold if gold links).

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Are you planning to wear only items from your existing wardrobe, or are you prepared to go out and buy a new tie, for instance, if necessary?

I would go with the silver tie, personally. A boutoniere might be a nice touch, so long as it's low key. You probably want to avoid outdressing the groom.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

white shirt silver tie sounds good.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Welcome.
    White shirt with a nice silk tie and nice cufflinks.

6. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior Member

I would do as the other suggest. Dark suit, white shirt, and a silver or dark colored tie. I am sure you will be better dressed than 99% of the people there. Weddings are a blast. Have fun!

7. siara

siara New Member

Thanks every one for suggestions.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Distinguished Member

So, have you decided what to go with?

9. Jared

Jared Distinguished Member

(Vaguely on-topic...)

I have been told, and it holds up under both anecdotal observation (as difficult as it is to infer a negative...) and native introspection, that navy suits are considered acceptable social wear in central and eastern Canada but not in western (where they are business-only). Can anyone support that rule or comment on its international applicability?

10. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

(Vaguely on-topic...)

I have been told, and it holds up under both anecdotal observation (as difficult as it is to infer a negative...) and native introspection, that navy suits are considered acceptable social wear in central and eastern Canada but not in western (where they are business-only). Can anyone support that rule or comment on its international applicability?

I've never noticed the black suits only rule at night. I was at a large fundraiser in Vancouver a few months ago and wore a blue blazer, grey trousers, white shirt, navy tie and brown shoes and was complimented a few times on the outfit. Things are way too lax already in the west for a seemingly arcane rule.

A.