1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Attending a wedding this Saturday...need help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by siara, Sep 20, 2006.

1. siara

siara New Member

This coming Saturday I'm attending a wedding.

Party will start @ 6.30pm.

I have a navy blue pinstriped suite.

I'm not sure what color shirt / tie combo to wear? A girl that I'm going with will wear a black evening gown.

Any ideas, suggestions? White shirt , pink tie, silver tie? Light blue shirt with ..... tie?

How do I match cufflinks with the shirt and tie?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

If you have a solid dark suit, I would wear that over pinstripes. Wear a white shirt. I prefer a silver tie to pink for the evening but would go with a darker black or midnight blue solid or tone-on-tone pattern. Wear whatever metal links you have (no tie rack, novelty, golf thingies though), preferably double-sided in silver, which I would match with a silver belt buckle (or gold if gold links).

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Are you planning to wear only items from your existing wardrobe, or are you prepared to go out and buy a new tie, for instance, if necessary?

I would go with the silver tie, personally. A boutoniere might be a nice touch, so long as it's low key. You probably want to avoid outdressing the groom.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

white shirt silver tie sounds good.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Welcome.
    White shirt with a nice silk tie and nice cufflinks.

6. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I would do as the other suggest. Dark suit, white shirt, and a silver or dark colored tie. I am sure you will be better dressed than 99% of the people there. Weddings are a blast. Have fun!

7. siara

siara New Member

Thanks every one for suggestions.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

So, have you decided what to go with?

9. Jared

Jared Senior member

(Vaguely on-topic...)

I have been told, and it holds up under both anecdotal observation (as difficult as it is to infer a negative...) and native introspection, that navy suits are considered acceptable social wear in central and eastern Canada but not in western (where they are business-only). Can anyone support that rule or comment on its international applicability?

10. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

(Vaguely on-topic...)

I have been told, and it holds up under both anecdotal observation (as difficult as it is to infer a negative...) and native introspection, that navy suits are considered acceptable social wear in central and eastern Canada but not in western (where they are business-only). Can anyone support that rule or comment on its international applicability?

I've never noticed the black suits only rule at night. I was at a large fundraiser in Vancouver a few months ago and wore a blue blazer, grey trousers, white shirt, navy tie and brown shoes and was complimented a few times on the outfit. Things are way too lax already in the west for a seemingly arcane rule.

A.