• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attempting to purchase first shoe

EagleJames

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm starting a new point in my life - have a definite major in college, been hitting the gym/dieting for the past year, and I'm now beginning to work on my wardrobe. I decided to start with some shoes, but I have little or no experience in the area. Being an upperclassman in college, I'm not going to blow the bank, but I am going to be wearing dress shoes semi-regularly (once weekly, possibly more) due to events that I have to attend.

I'm looking to make my first real dress shoe purchase. I have a black suit and a navy suit, and I was thinking dark brown or burgundy colors would be good. I poked around eBay and found a pair of Allen-Edmonds Sanford in Burgundy as well as Santoni Nuvolas in a chesnut brown. These seem to be agreed as decent shoes for the price (both sub-100).

I wear a size 13D, so it's a bit hard for me to shop for bargains (at least using methods I'm familiar with). Still, if you guys might have some recommendations on other shoes/brands or simply want to direct me towards one of the two choices above, that'd be great.

Best wishes,
James

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With big feet its worth going to a store to chat to the guys there. I have size 12s, but I'm a 32" waist, so most shoes give me clown feet. They'll be able to advise you on some more elegant styles.

Also check out Herring Shoes clearance section, much is a-grade but discontinued, which gives you savings with zero compromise. Also they have a search by size option. Handy!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're going to need to try something on at some point. Sneaker size is not a great indicator of dress shoe size, especially with many people wearing sneakers larger then they should. You cannot do that with dress shoes.

EagleJames

Reaction score
I was actually in a Johnston & Murphy store at the mall today, and my foot fit well and comfortably in their 13 mediums. That's where I'm taking the size estimate from. Does it stay relatively constant between makers/brands?

Valproate

Reaction score
You should really try on the exact model (or same shoe last) that you're intending to buy. Even within Allen Edmonds, different shoes have different sizes.

If you can spend a little more, you can pick up brand new Allen Edmunds from Shoebuy.com for $200 when they run 20% off sales. If you sign up for their email newsletter on checkout, you get an additional 10%. I just bought AE's Sutter for $207. It's free shipping both ways, so if your size is off, just send it back.

Best of luck

Brogued

Reaction score
I wear the same size as you in dress shoes and it can be a little challenging finding good deals on British shoes. That said, here's something you might look at. Those are great shoes and that's a terrific price.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=polo+13dhttp://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=polo+13d

The AE suggestions are right on. There's always quite a few new 13D Allen Edmonds on EBAY that are discontinued or seconds going for really good prices. AE is a good place to start in buying dress shoes.

lastlight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EagleJames
Hey all,

I'm starting a new point in my life - have a definite major in college, been hitting the gym/dieting for the past year, and I'm now beginning to work on my wardrobe. I decided to start with some shoes, but I have little or no experience in the area. Being an upperclassman in college, I'm not going to blow the bank, but I am going to be wearing dress shoes semi-regularly (once weekly, possibly more) due to events that I have to attend.

I'm looking to make my first real dress shoe purchase. I have a black suit and a navy suit, and I was thinking dark brown or burgundy colors would be good. I poked around eBay and found a pair of Allen-Edmonds Sanford in Burgundy as well as Santoni Nuvolas in a chesnut brown. These seem to be agreed as decent shoes for the price (both sub-100).

I wear a size 13D, so it's a bit hard for me to shop for bargains (at least using methods I'm familiar with). Still, if you guys might have some recommendations on other shoes/brands or simply want to direct me towards one of the two choices above, that'd be great.

Best wishes,
James

Having 13s too, I'll advise you to look at customer reviews on sizing. After buying nicer shoes I have a range between 12-14 in size that all fit well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads