• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Attache Case Care

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of attache cases that I use and one that I use regularly and its gotten wear on the edges as well as the usual rubs and scratches.

How does one protect and/or refinish the edges and the surface?

Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a leather case from Filson that shows scuffs in the leather very easily. Fortunately, they rub out easily though -- I use neutral shoe cream. The corners seem to have a shiny application of some kind on them so that it's not bare leather that hits the ground but is like a shelack (sp?). Of course, you could always find a really good luggage restoration shop and have them install some shiny brass edge protectors.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I have the Filson field satchel and I use Hubbards shoe drubbing about twice a year.

Kabert, I also use black "sole dressing" to touch up the corners.

Bic

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sole dressing -- that's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Filson field satchel and I use Hubbards shoe drubbing about twice a year. Kabert, I also use black "sole dressing" to touch up the corners. Bic
Thanks all. So I have have to drubb and dress my attache case regularly. I got it.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter,Feb. 01 2005,02:05
I have the Filson field satchel and I use Hubbards shoe drubbing about twice a year. Kabert, I also use black "sole dressing" to touch up the corners. Bic
Thanks all. So I have have to drubb and dress my attache case regularly. I got it.

When I was younger, I over-drubbed my Filson field satchel and it was too greasy.....Unfortunately, the oils stained the tan trench coat I wore in those days. I now sparingly apply a bit of drubbing on the first day of a long business holiday to let the oils work their way into the leather. I purchased a leather gladstone bag from a British shop a few years ago, and they included a tin of bee's wax with the order. Â Perhaps you may consider applying a slight brushing of this wax. Â Some folks also recommend "leather food." I have never tried it, though. Bic

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excerpt from Smythson website about leather care: "Do not 'feed' the leather with products such as waxes, polishes or saddle soaps. This may make the surface of the leather sticky, causing it to attract dirt and causing irreversible damage." Edited to provide link to Smythson leather care section: http://usa.smythson.com/index.asp?Pa...n=Custom&ID=25

matcha

Reaction score
I would think twice before applying edge dressing and certainly shoe polish to the briefcase. The stuff may rub off on your clothese as you carry the bag.

I would go with taking it in to a reliable shoe repairman, and the rest of the time using neutral polish, if appropriate for the leather.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I have had no problem with the edge dressing I applied to the edges of my field satchel.

As I stated in an earlier message, the shoe drubbing did rub off and stain a tan trench coat I wore when I carried it.

Bic

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.