1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Attache Case Care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FIHTies, Jan 31, 2005.

1. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

I have a couple of attache cases that I use and one that I use regularly and its gotten wear on the edges as well as the usual rubs and scratches.

How does one protect and/or refinish the edges and the surface?

Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

2. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I take my leather cases to the same place that does my shoes. Give them $50 per and the cases come back looking better than new.

Will

3. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I have a leather case from Filson that shows scuffs in the leather very easily. Fortunately, they rub out easily though -- I use neutral shoe cream. The corners seem to have a shiny application of some kind on them so that it's not bare leather that hits the ground but is like a shelack (sp?). Of course, you could always find a really good luggage restoration shop and have them install some shiny brass edge protectors.

4. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

I have the Filson field satchel and I use Hubbards shoe drubbing about twice a year.

Kabert, I also use black "sole dressing" to touch up the corners.

Bic

5. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Sole dressing -- that's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

6. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

Thanks all. So I have have to drubb and dress my attache case regularly. I got it. [​IMG]

7. Bic Pentameter

Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter,Feb. 01 2005,02:05
    I have the Filson field satchel and I use Hubbards shoe drubbing about twice a year. Kabert, I also use black "sole dressing" to touch up the corners. Bic
    Thanks all. So I have have to drubb and dress my attache case regularly. I got it. [​IMG]
    When I was younger, I over-drubbed my Filson field satchel and it was too greasy.....Unfortunately, the oils stained the tan trench coat I wore in those days. I now sparingly apply a bit of drubbing on the first day of a long business holiday to let the oils work their way into the leather. I purchased a leather gladstone bag from a British shop a few years ago, and they included a tin of bee's wax with the order. Â Perhaps you may consider applying a slight brushing of this wax. Â Some folks also recommend "leather food." I have never tried it, though. Bic

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

Excerpt from Smythson website about leather care: "Do not 'feed' the leather with products such as waxes, polishes or saddle soaps. This may make the surface of the leather sticky, causing it to attract dirt and causing irreversible damage." Edited to provide link to Smythson leather care section: http://usa.smythson.com/index.asp?Pa...n=Custom&ID=25

9. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

I would think twice before applying edge dressing and certainly shoe polish to the briefcase. The stuff may rub off on your clothese as you carry the bag.

I would go with taking it in to a reliable shoe repairman, and the rest of the time using neutral polish, if appropriate for the leather.

10. Bic Pentameter

I have had no problem with the edge dressing I applied to the edges of my field satchel.

As I stated in an earlier message, the shoe drubbing did rub off and stain a tan trench coat I wore when I carried it.

Bic