1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Atlanta Shopping

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clearshades, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Atlanta shopping is a dismal affair.

You mean you don't want shirts that fit like tents and jeans that fit at the knees? [​IMG]

2. william

william Senior member

Atlanta shopping is a dismal affair...thank goodness for Sids.

+1

Although I haven't been to SM in quite a while due to lack of funds..

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I have shoped at H. Stockton for a long time. They have a Lenox Square location, though I use the one in Midtown. Traditional menswear. Knowledgeable staff.

A good place. The Dunwoody store is my favorite but Lenox is quite good. A bit conservative but very knowledgeable.

Atlanta shopping is a dismal affair...thank goodness for Sids.

Sids is terrific. Michael Christopher and Guffeys are pretty good.

4. Tantive4

Tantive4 Member

I did find a beautiful selection of the Robert Talbott sterling cufflinks at Loehmann's (Briarcliff & N. Druid Hills) for $60 and bought a couple. They probably still have some and probably marked them down.

I live around the corner and sometimes forget its even there, even though my wife likes the little Mexican place in the plaza. Although I usualy find an item or two when I do go in.

5. Artisan Fan

I live around the corner and sometimes forget its even there, even though my wife likes the little Mexican place in the plaza. Although I usualy find an item or two when I do go in.

I have to check this location out. Thanks.

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

My sister lives near there too (on Mason Mill Rd.). It's a pretty small Loehmann's and is sort of hidden in that plaza next to Office Max or something. I had been there on a couple of other trips to ATL and to be honest, the menswear selection was very weak - not even a few nice ties imo. The only redeeming part were the RT links.

7. Artisan Fan

My sister lives near there too (on Mason Mill Rd.). It's a pretty small Loehmann's and is sort of hidden in that plaza next to Office Max or something. I had been there on a couple of other trips to ATL and to be honest, the menswear selection was very weak - not even a few nice ties imo. The only redeeming part were the RT links.

Let us know next time you are in town. We should grab a beer or coffee.

8. Tantive4

Tantive4 Member

It is pretty weak, and you do have to dig around, but every once-in-a-while, you can pick something up.

9. Tantive4

Tantive4 Member

I have to check this location out. Thanks.

It's actually called the Loehmann's Plaza...I don't know why I always forget it's there.

10. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Let us know next time you are in town. We should grab a beer or coffee.

Sure thing. Perhaps a SF ATL meetup at Sid Mashburn? [​IMG]

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

There is a sale at Sid Mashburn's ATM.

Didn't walk over the other night and no deets on the site.

12. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

FYI, there is a new men's shop located on Peachtree between 8th and 9th street in Midtown called Drew Lewis. I had no idea it was there, just happened to be walking by. Apparently it opened only 3 weeks ago. It carries APC, Band of Outsiders, Gant, Shipley & Halmos, Caulfield Academy, and other SF-approved brands. Very cool since most Atlanta stores do not usually carry this kind of stuff. They are also having some kind of winter sale right now, so if you're nearby you might want to check this place out.

13. Artisan Fan

Thanks Droog. I had not heard of this store.

14. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Bump, has anyone checked out the sale at Sid?

15. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Did a quick run through this thread and saw these stores listed:

Sid Mashburn
    Ralph Lauren (Lenox)
    Brooks Brothers
    Neiman Marcus (Lenox)/Last Call
    Saks Fifth Avenue (Phipps)
    Mark Shale (Still in business? No longer in Dallas)
    Guffey’s (Tower Place)
    Filene’s Basement (across from Phipps)
    Miller Brothers
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Bloomingdales
    Michael Christopher (East Shadowlawn)
    J. Harrington (Forum Shops in Norcross)
    Orvis
    House of Fleming (Buckhead)
    Sebastian’s (Peachtree just south of Piedmont)
    H. Stockton (Lenox, Dunwoody, and Midtown)
    Loehmann’s (Briarcliff & N. Druid)
    Drew Lewis (Peachtree between 8th & 9th)

Any of them that are can't miss? Sid Mashburn seems to be mentioned most among the local stores.

Any of these no longer in business or not worth checking out? Any others I may have missed?

I'll be in Atlanta for a few days (Sun-Tue) in September. Staying in Midtown and attending meetings in Norcross. Any restaurants/bars/other attractions I should make it a point to see while there? I'm 40, straight, single, fairly conservative but not completely unhip.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  16. stereo2go

stereo2go New Member

Greetings southbound35,

Many of the stores in your list are in the Lenox Square Mall. If you're a watch nut, Cartier, Bulgari, MontBlanc and Tourneau are also in there. Within walking distance is the Phipps Plaza mall which has many other stores in your list. While you're there, you can stroll through Bally, Vince, Barney's Co-op and Nordstrom. You may want to do those on Sunday when Sid Mashburn is closed.

If you're visiting Sid Mashburn near dinnertime and you want a nice meal, check out Bacchanalia, located on the ground floor of the same building. It's pricey, but many tout this restaurant to be among Atlanta's best.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  17. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

If you're only here a few days then I suggesting hitting the bigger spots to maximize time.

Lenox
    Shopping: Neimans, BB, Ralph Lauren/RRL, H Stockton and Bloomingdales (you can see all of them pretty quickly and there are also stores there like Cartier, LV, Burberry, etc if you are so inclined)

Phipps
    Shopping: Saks is the only must see here IMO, but there is also Gucci, Armani and Barneys Co-Op (Phipps is also a block away from Lenox so you can hit both)
    Food: Tavern at Phipps for after work happy hour has very nice "scenery"

Mashburn
    This is the highlight of ATL (however unfortunate that may be). In the same parking lot as Sid's there is also Anne Mashburn (if you have a lady in your life), Bacchanalia for a great dinner (only Michelin rated restaurant in ATL) and Taqueria del Sol for quick, good tacos and cheap cold beer

Other great restaurants are Empire State South in Midtown for contemporary Southern and Rathbun's in Virginia Highlands for an awesome steak or the best lamb you've ever had. Other honorable mentions are No. 246, One Eared Stag and Paces 88., with the latter being the most formal.

Bars
    If you're in midtown there are a ton of cool bars, but I would suggest The Family Dog and Ri Ra. If you're thirsty in Buckhead then Paces 88 at the St. Regis has a great bar, though it is quite expensive, as does Bistro Niko if you'd like to sit on a patio and watch Peachtree St.

Of the stuff that you mentioned above I would say skip Filenes and the Rack in Buckhead. Only do the Druid Hills Loehmans and, as mentioned above, stick to H. Stockton in Buckhead (if you've seen one you've seen them all).

Miller Brothers and Drew Lewis are both cool, but I would note that Drew Lewis markets to a slightly younger crowd IMO (a lot of Rag and Bone, Band of Outsiders, etc).

I know I've missed a ton but hopefully that is enough to get you started. Hope you enjoy ATL. Hopefully it will cool down a bit by September!

18. Renton

Renton Senior member

I've had nothing but great experiences with Miller Brothers. Sid Mashburn has been a little hit or miss but I'll probably get another coat from them.

19. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

If you like beer, I'd add The Porter (Little 5 Points) and Brick Store (Downtown Decatur) to the list of bars.

20. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Thanks very much for the suggestions, sartorial and otherwise. This will be a pretty quick trip; I doubt I get much shopping in, so I'll try to check out a few of the local stores.

Should be able to work in 3 dinners (SMT), 2 breakfasts (MT), and 2 lunches (SM). Any suggestions for breakfast and lunch in Midtown or Norcross? What about good places to hang out on Sunday afternoon and evening (location open)?