Atlanta SF'ers...where to shop?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bafield, Feb 3, 2010.

1. bafield

bafield Senior member

Calling all Atlanta SF'ers, I've just been awarded a contract in Atlanta and I'll be there for a year starting March 1st. I haven't been to Atlanta since 2001 and I have no idea where to shop. Please send me your top 5 list!!!

Also, on a side note, any suggestions for mid to upscale apartments would be appreciated. I want to be located in Mid-Town or Buckhead and prefer something near a Marta station.

Cheers,

B

2. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

Beyond the typical mall retailers (N. Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks) there are:

Sid Mashburn
    Miller Brothers
    H. Stockton
    - these are more or less in the Buckehead area

and if you're willing to drive way out and hunt around:

NM Last Call
    the Saks outlet (I forget what it's called)
    - both of these are at Discover Mills

I can't really advise on apartments, since I haven't payed attention to them in awhile, though there are loads in both Buckhead and Midtown; if it were me, I'd look for one of the converted old houses around Poncey Highlands or Virginia Highlands for a hipper, more architecturally interesting apartment (those are neighborhoods in the Midtown area).

DH

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Brooks Brothers at Lenox has a great shoe selection, and the Polo there is good. Saks at Phipps always has a decent selection of suits..

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Also, on a side note, any suggestions for mid to upscale apartments would be appreciated. I want to be located in Mid-Town or Buckhead and prefer something near a Marta station.

Cheers,

B

I think the Post Apartments would fit that bill (I've never lived there but they have a lot of well maintained properties in nice areas). There is also a new Trump Tower opening soon I think.

Bless your heart if you are planning to use MARTA as a primary form of transportation.

5. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I used to live at Uptown Square at Lindbergh (disclaimer: I am small-time) and thought it was pretty great. It's not quite Midtown or Buckhead but it's super close to each. I didn't have a car and I was able to get everywhere I needed to go. There's a few Atlanta shopping threads--I'd do a search for those. Filene's Basement is also a fun hit-or-miss type of place, though I haven't been there in a few years (I recently moved to Athens).

6. bafield

bafield Senior member

Note: I won't use Marta as my primary form of transportation...just for quick runs to the airport!

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Mario Bosco - for extensive tailoring. also makes suits.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Mario Bosco - for extensive tailoring. also makes suits.

Ive had some shirts made by him. Top notch.

For tailoring I would only use him for complicated things (and bespoke). For some reason if you need repairs, the smaller things tend to get glossed over. For instance I had to the sleeves of my grandfather's topcoat shortened and a button re-attached. The button came off a few weeks later. I know I'm not the only one who has had similar experiences.

9. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

For tailoring I would only use him for complicated things (and bespoke). For some reason if you need repairs, the smaller things tend to get glossed over. For instance I had to the sleeves of my grandfather's topcoat shortened and a button re-attached. The button came off a few weeks later. I know I'm not the only one who has had similar experiences.

Have you poasted pics of the shirts? I'd like to see his work.

I actually really like the way he does buttons--I've never had any problems with minor things at his shop. I actually drive in from Athens to get all my work done there.

10. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I think the Post Apartments would fit that bill (I've never lived there but they have a lot of well maintained properties in nice areas). There is also a new Trump Tower opening soon I think.

Bless your heart if you are planning to use MARTA as a primary form of transportation.

I would stay away from anything Post, Lived in a property for a year in a half in the vinnings location, went to visit other properties they owned they all had the same issues pet waste everywhere!! smelled like a dam zoo when it rained from the feces and animal piss

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

he doesnt actually do the tailoring anymore...

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are these three still the ones to see? I will have an afternoon free in Atlanta on Wednesday and was hoping to stop in a few places.

Beyond the typical mall retailers (N. Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks) there are:

Sid Mashburn
    Miller Brothers
    H. Stockton

DH

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Are these three still the ones to see? I will have an afternoon free in Atlanta on Wednesday and was hoping to stop in a few places.

Yup. Though, you may end up spending all afternoon at Sid's. Welcome to Atlanta.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yup. Though, you may end up spending all afternoon at Sid's. Welcome to Atlanta.

Thanks! BTW, I hear The Humidity Festival is in full swing right now [​IMG]

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Thanks! BTW, I hear The Humidity Festival is in full swing right now [​IMG]

you have no idea. its awful in nashville....and atl is MUCH worse than here.