• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlanta MTM (or custom) on a budget

OBoudreaux

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a suit in Atlanta and am looking for any advice I can find. My experience with purchasing suits has resulted in some pretty ill fitting OTR garments that no amount of tailoring could fix. About a year ago, my Grandmother gave me one of my Grandfathers old suits from the 60's and I was blown away that a suit could actually look good on me.

I'm getting married in May and would like to find a MTM (or bespoke) tailor that could build a suit under $1,000 (ideally closer to $750). I'm still open to OTR but I'm a 44R with a 10 inch drop and my biggest requirement is high arm holes. I took a look at Brooks Brothers during their sale and a few other places but I'm really just too big in my upper body for their suits.

I'm looking at a few tailors in town any personal recommendations would be welcome
http://www.customclothingatl.com/ - Recommended on this board but may be out of my budget.
http://www.atlantacustomtailors.com/ seems affordable but a bit of a mystery as to quality
http://hongkong-tailor.com/ - a good yelp review, but I don't trust that on it's own.
http://www.customtailoredstyle.com/ - Recommend in an AskAndy post.

I've only come across one negative review and that was for http://www.customsuitshop.com/.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
May be a bit above your budget but check out Miller brothers.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Mario Bosco in Atlanta for MTM

OBoudreaux

Reaction score
Any place with a bar is probably out of my price range. But thanks for the recommendation, I dropped Miller Brothers an email.

As for Mario Bosco, I just called him. I think I could afford a coat sleeve and a pant leg.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OBoudreaux
Any place with a bar is probably out of my price range. But thanks for the recommendation, I dropped Miller Brothers an email. As for Mario Bosco, I just called him. I think I could afford a coat sleeve and a pant leg.
How much did Mario want? I am in a similar situation to you right now. I am looking for a suit in Atlanta for less than $1,000 What did Hong Kong tailors say?

Grenadier

Reaction score
Try Sid Mashburn, I know he does Caruso MTM. It would still be above your $1,000 price-range, but it would be probably the best quality one out there in the sub-$2,000 category.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Try Sid Mashburn, I know he does Caruso MTM. It would still be above your $1,000 price-range, but it would be probably the best quality one out there in the sub-$2,000 category.

Their suits are way to expensive. I understand they are great quality but I am not dropping $1800 on a suit.

mlongano

Reaction score
Al at Custom Clothing of Atlanta creates all of my tailored clothing, as well as other members of this forum. I have been very happy with the results, and, while slightly over your budget, produces a garment that will serve you very well for many years to come.

In the last year Al has made four suits, three sports coats, and one topcoat for me. All are impeccably constructed.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
Al at Custom Clothing of Atlanta creates all of my tailored clothing, as well as other members of this forum. I have been very happy with the results, and, while slightly over your budget, produces a garment that will serve you very well for many years to come.

In the last year Al has made four suits, three sports coats, and one topcoat for me. All are impeccably constructed.

How does it compare to HK tailors?

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
How does it compare to HK tailors?

As I have never used a Hong Kong tailor I cannot say...

...however i will say this...I think the results obtained by an "out of town" tailor limited to measurements, pictures, send backs with comments, etc. are going to be fairly limited when compared to the results you can reasonably expect to obtain with a local tailor that is available for multiple, in- person fittings.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want closer to $750, why not buy a nice OTR and find a good tailor? Better yet, have a good tailor do all your measurements and look around B&S, or even eBay.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
If you want closer to $750, why not buy a nice OTR and find a good tailor? Better yet, have a good tailor do all your measurements and look around B&S, or even eBay.

I haven't been able to find anything great OTR. It's consistently Hugo Boss everywhere and even worse like Theory/Alfani/Calvin Klein/Kenneth Cole

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep

Agreed, you are not going to get anything decent made custom for $750. I think you should spend at least $1.5-2K, so I would opt out to get a RTW suit that fits you well and just make alterations. The problem with this is to find a RTW brand that fits you well, this is going to be a long and potentially costly process.

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Agreed, you are not going to get anything decent made custom for $750. I think you should spend at least $1.5-2K, so I would opt out to get a RTW suit that fits you well and just make alterations. The problem with this is to find a RTW brand that fits you well, this is going to be a long and potentially costly process.

For less money, Al can make you a custom made suit from scratch!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
For less money, Al can make you a custom made suit from scratch!

Who is Al? Maybe I should check him out, a suit for less than $750? That sounds too good to be true,well,unless he sends his job to China.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads