Ativan/Lorazepam for public speaking anxiety?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by pg600rr, Nov 10, 2009.

1. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Active Member

America relies on pills to fix all their problems.....pill for this, pill for that.

You need to confront the problem and overcome it. Simple as that. Don't rely on pills to complete a task....because then you will believe you HAVE to take the pill everytime you want to do the task again.

This appears to be in direct conflict with your posts elsewhere where you are slinging a lot of lingo around. Which is it Augment or no Augment?

2. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    adderall
    Hey, that's my line... but yes. [​IMG] You could combine with a Benzo too. That's always a good time.

3. dmash

dmash Senior member

This appears to be in direct conflict with your posts elsewhere where you are slinging a lot of lingo around. Which is it Augment or no Augment?

When have I EVER suggested taking pills? I've voiced opinions on a prohormone thread and that's all? I've NEVER advocated saying this is what you should do.

Also, that's a complete different ballgame.

4. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

When have I EVER suggested taking pills? I've voiced opinions on a prohormone thread and that's all? I've NEVER advocated saying this is what you should do. Also, that's a complete different ballgame.
    Better living through science! Not everyone needs or would want to augment or enhance certain attributes but others might. I wouldn't do steroids because I don't want to be super muscular and bulky. My body is perfect the way it is. However, I do use supplements like Creatine/NO, multi-vitamins, protein powders and Omega 3's. So, I'm kinda augmenting in a way. Maybe my mind would change with old age [​IMG] who knows. I don't see an issue with it though. If you want to take a psychostimulant with a Benzo or Beta-blocker to "switch-on", go for it (with the usual medical emptor). It's just a temporary fix though. A better mixture would be meds under proper supervision while undergoing therapy and/or coaching.

5. dmash

dmash Senior member

Better living through science! Not everyone needs or would want to augment or enhance certain attributes but others might.

I wouldn't do steroids because I don't want to be super muscular and bulky. My body is perfect the way it is. However, I do use supplements like Creatine/NO, multi-vitamins, protein powders and Omega 3's. So, I'm kinda augmenting in a way. Maybe my mind would change with old age [​IMG] who knows.

I don't see an issue with it though. If you want to take a psychostimulant with a Benzo or Beta-blocker to "switch-on", go for it (with the usual medical emptor). It's just a temporary fix though. A better mixture would be meds under proper supervision while undergoing therapy and/or coaching.

Comparing something like multivitamin and protein (which is abundant in our body in the first place) with a benzo is just completely different.

6. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Comparing something like multivitamin and protein (which is abundant in our body in the first place) with a benzo is just completely different.

I'm not making a 1:1 comparison. They are different levels of augmentation... though a multi and protein are barely that. Creatine/NO supplements are a bit higher.

7. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

My body is perfect the way it is.

Pics or GTFO.

8. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Pics or GTFO.

This site is ghey enough without posts like that.

9. makushin

makushin Senior member

These drugs can be a very positive thing for certain people, and those of you discounting them are as ignorant as those that abuse them. I've found that the only people that understand this sort of anxiety are those that have lived it. Even shrinks don't really get it.

Try them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

10. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I have some situational anxiety – presentations, interviews, some social engagements. Unfortunately for me this anxiety is manifest by me getting very* sweaty. Eventually I realized that what I really get worried about is not somehow screwing up, but of having a panic attack in those situations. It’s kind of circular, but it really is anxiety about people knowing you have anxiety/seeing the signs of that anxiety. As a result, I have an Rx for a beta blocker called atenolol.

My experience has been that it does not affect my cognitive functions or make me feel less afraid, but it restricts the physiological response that my body has to that fear, which in turn is somewhat reassuring. For example if I have an interview, I will still be nervous for it, but when I feel my pulse it is not racing out of control. In addition, to my great pleasure, I have noticed some CBT type benefits to using the beta blockers. As I have had some good results in what would in the past have been anxious situations (or situations I would have simply avoided) I find that I am seeing improvement of symptoms in situations even when not taking any medication.

11. imhotep

imhotep Senior member

i know someone who used to get so nervous he would have to arrive 1 h early to his talks in order to have time to throw up. now he's one of the best speakers i know. so... you need to get over this on your own. you will be better for it.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

All I can tell you from experience is not to take it before you take the MPRE.

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

That monologue in the Tyson documentary when he is talking about walking into a fight, how he is scared when he enters the room and how he's had dreams of losing, then turn into a God when he enters the ring, that's how I feel when I speak publicly.

14. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Inderal (Propranolol) has worked wonders for my public speeches. Not only does it get rid of the tiring rapid heartbeat, it also gives you back your breath so you can speak slowly and more efficiently. Its super subtle unlike benzos, I suggest you give it a try.

15. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Senior member

I've not read this anywhere, but have a family member that HATED public speaking. Even in front of small family gatherings you could see him become somewhat shy when talking. About 2 years ago he began supplementing his diet with fish oil and vitamin D3 and since then his fear of talking in front of people seems to have disappeared. He gave a speech in front of a wedding crowd not long ago and did fine - it was great to hear about.