• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athleisure Wear Going Out Of Style?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your life must be really hard.

There are always going to be people passing through here who appear to like feeling superior to others based on how they dress. They don't usually last very long IME.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
Was out and about today in the city and far less sweatpants. People are over athleisure wear. Time to look good again!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HUYs33P.jpeg

Reminded me of this thread.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returning to Athleisure wear: I attended an outdoor party last weekend at which one of the
guests, who is a billionaire Venture Capitalist and a very nice down to earth guy, wore a shorts
zip jacket combo with coordinated running shoes. It actually looked pretty good on him amidst
the slacks/jeans polo wearers. Nevertheless, the outfit reminded me of something worn by Ali G.

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
In an attempt to balance the scales here, @The_Shooter what, by way of example, would you be wearing while seated next to the Hat Wearing Scrubs?

This whole thread is just another oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg at the end of the day so here's my attempt at making it even more tedious:

I'm one of the sales engineers at a biotech company, and for my last adventure before COVID broke the planet, exhibited at conference held at a resort in the middle of nowhere in Puerto Rico. I'm not much of a resort guy but we were trapped there for a week (by design....the conference was a BS excuse for all the attendees to goof off for a week on company money) and after Day 2 I had already tried the all the crappy restaurants, halfhearted golf course, and sorry excuse for a gym. That left nothing to do except sit at the tiki bar by the pool pretty much all day every day for the rest of the week.

As a proper sales guy at an overpriced resort, I mostly wore a light blue tropical wool suit with either a white poplin shirt and blue linen tie during the evenings when it was cooler and the customers drunker, and floral shirt with long tail that could be tucked in during the day when I was mostly on my own, and either canvas sneakers or lazyman brogues for both. It was 90F and humid out but I felt okay since I was just sitting there in the shade boozing it up. Alas no one wanted to talk shop with me, but hey, I dress for myself and not for anyone else, mkay?

All around me though was the tropical resort version of your Hat Guy athleisure enemy, that is, intoxicated fat hairy goons in tank tops and shorts, crushing their rotten flipflops into the deck. Maybe a baseball cap advertising their political affiliation or a favorite sports team, neither of which I like, and for which he was willing to spend the night in jail for assault and battery, which I found decidedly ungentlemanly. A hoodie and joggers is downright elegant compared to what these animals were sporting.

You've probably rescinded the creme of your tip already for "poor overall experience" or whatever, but that's not even the worst part. For that, it would be the people I knew. Biotech is huge but each specific industry within it is small, and I saw way too many familiar customers that week as they headed for the pool in all their drunk misshapen glory. I tell ya, the last thing I needed on my retinas was freaken Craig van Meter PhD, the pudgy associate director for consumables manufacturing at NeoLife's immunology division, or Victor Davidson, PhD, a staff scientist over at Cellulon, who smokes a pack a day and definitely starts each morning meeting with a scotch-spiked coffee, and has a body that reflects that, as they strutted around in full mankini, phone in one hand and that footlong cocktail container in the other. RIP my overall experience.

I was trying to telekinetically summon reps from Peter Millar, Robert Talbott, Ted Baker, and wherever else middle aged guys shop, to come and save us but alas, none appeared with things like golf pants or tassel loafers, and instead these lunkheads and their colleagues were free to impose themselves upon us with abandon.

And don't even get me started on when Lexie Sanchez-Bollinger, MD PhD, the CSO for ImmunoKronos (and with some luck my future ex-wife) showed up with her two toddlers, both of whom were completely oblivious as to how attractive their brainy mom was as she took off her maxidress to reveal a bikini that would have looked good on her when she was 20 and even better now two decades later. Put on a suit, Dr. Sanchez! Geez. Her husband was there too but all too easily blended in with the other schlubs. Darnit! People these days!

Oh but the point of this story is, the wait staff was just as aggressive as those described here, and by that I mean the bartender kept on taking away my empty tiki cup and bringing me a full one when I was half-consciously looking at my phone or my slovenly customers. The nerve! She was also dressed in a t-shirt that said "Get some!" on the front and advertised a brand of local rum on the back, which I found distasteful and aggressive. I paid the $90 upgrade for every refill to be a double, so everything was like, doubly offensive.

Just wanted to run this by you gents to complain about a bunch of sweaty tourists who traveled to an impoverished island to numb the pain of their dreary lives for a few days.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
This whole thread is just another oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg at the end of the day so here's my attempt at making it even more tedious:

I'm one of the sales engineers at a biotech company, and for my last adventure before COVID broke the planet, exhibited at conference held at a resort in the middle of nowhere in Puerto Rico. I'm not much of a resort guy but we were trapped there for a week (by design....the conference was a BS excuse for all the attendees to goof off for a week on company money) and after Day 2 I had already tried the all the crappy restaurants, halfhearted golf course, and sorry excuse for a gym. That left nothing to do except sit at the tiki bar by the pool pretty much all day every day for the rest of the week.

As a proper sales guy at an overpriced resort, I mostly wore a light blue tropical wool suit with either a white poplin shirt and blue linen tie during the evenings when it was cooler and the customers drunker, and floral shirt with long tail that could be tucked in during the day when I was mostly on my own, and either canvas sneakers or lazyman brogues for both. It was 90F and humid out but I felt okay since I was just sitting there in the shade boozing it up. Alas no one wanted to talk shop with me, but hey, I dress for myself and not for anyone else, mkay?

All around me though was the tropical resort version of your Hat Guy athleisure enemy, that is, intoxicated fat hairy goons in tank tops and shorts, crushing their rotten flipflops into the deck. Maybe a baseball cap advertising their political affiliation or a favorite sports team, neither of which I like, and for which he was willing to spend the night in jail for assault and battery, which I found decidedly ungentlemanly. A hoodie and joggers is downright elegant compared to what these animals were sporting.

You've probably rescinded the creme of your tip already for "poor overall experience" or whatever, but that's not even the worst part. For that, it would be the people I knew. Biotech is huge but each specific industry within it is small, and I saw way too many familiar customers that week as they headed for the pool in all their drunk misshapen glory. I tell ya, the last thing I needed on my retinas was freaken Craig van Meter PhD, the pudgy associate director for consumables manufacturing at NeoLife's immunology division, or Victor Davidson, PhD, a staff scientist over at Cellulon, who smokes a pack a day and definitely starts each morning meeting with a scotch-spiked coffee, and has a body that reflects that, as they strutted around in full mankini, phone in one hand and that footlong cocktail container in the other. RIP my overall experience.

I was trying to telekinetically summon reps from Peter Millar, Robert Talbott, Ted Baker, and wherever else middle aged guys shop, to come and save us but alas, none appeared with things like golf pants or tassel loafers, and instead these lunkheads and their colleagues were free to impose themselves upon us with abandon.

And don't even get me started on when Lexie Sanchez-Bollinger, MD PhD, the CSO for ImmunoKronos (and with some luck my future ex-wife) showed up with her two toddlers, both of whom were completely oblivious as to how attractive their brainy mom was as she took off her maxidress to reveal a bikini that would have looked good on her when she was 20 and even better now two decades later. Put on a suit, Dr. Sanchez! Geez. Her husband was there too but all too easily blended in with the other schlubs. Darnit! People these days!

Oh but the point of this story is, the wait staff was just as aggressive as those described here, and by that I mean the bartender kept on taking away my empty tiki cup and bringing me a full one when I was half-consciously looking at my phone or my slovenly customers. The nerve! She was also dressed in a t-shirt that said "Get some!" on the front and advertised a brand of local rum on the back, which I found distasteful and aggressive. I paid the $90 upgrade for every refill to be a double, so everything was like, doubly offensive.

Just wanted to run this by you gents to complain about a bunch of sweaty tourists who traveled to an impoverished island to numb the pain of their dreary lives for a few days.

Good read.

nothing worse than a tourist in a tropical vacation destination. So bad. Put them all back on their cruise ship and send them to Antarctica.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my sterotypes are out of date.
I had observed that scientists tended toward
nerdy or bland and some were actually well-dressed.
You describe various versions of the slobification of
superior minds.

Should you decide to abandon your very likely
well-compensated profession with the possibility
of major windfalls via IPO, I am confident that
with your writing talent and keen observation of the
social scene(s) you could have a rewarding career,
from which we would all benefit. Superb piece !

Last edited:

jack webb

Reaction score
HUYs33P.jpeg

Reminded me of this thread.
If anything I'm seeing more crocs being worn, not fewer. Don't own any but if I did might wear them for mowing the lawn, but otherwise no.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything I'm seeing more crocs being worn, not fewer. Don't own any but if I did might wear them for mowing the lawn, but otherwise no.

I see crocs worn by stoner college kids going to get food for their munchies at the corner store + old people with foot problems. Neither demographic do I want to emulate, though I understand the necessity of the latter for people in pain (though I wonder how crocs are supposed to alleviate it with the apparent no support and hard plastic everything).

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And don't even get me started on when Lexie Sanchez-Bollinger, MD PhD, the CSO for ImmunoKronos (and with some luck my future ex-wife)
[/QUOTE]
“I’m always on the lookout for a future ex-Mrs. Malcolm” -Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see crocs worn by stoner college kids going to get food for their munchies at the corner store + old people with foot problems. Neither demographic do I want to emulate, though I understand the necessity of the latter for people in pain (though I wonder how crocs are supposed to alleviate it with the apparent no support and hard plastic everything).
I bought a pair at the beginning of Covid more or less as bedroom slippers
after mine fell apart and I wasn't about to go out shopping for new ones. I
wear them around the house and garden. One does see them along with clogs
on hospital personnel, including senior MDs when wearing scrubs.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We used to take Crocs backpacking. They're super light weight to pack around, they work well for knee-deep stream crossings (and they float if you manage to lose one), and they're great for around camp to let your feet air out while still being somewhat 'closed toe' shoes.

Other than that, they're great for slipping on to run to the mailbox in the rain/snow or doing yard work.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
We used to take Crocs backpacking. They're super light weight to pack around, they work well for knee-deep stream crossings (and they float if you manage to lose one), and they're great for around camp to let your feet air out while still being somewhat 'closed toe' shoes.

Other than that, they're great for slipping on to run to the mailbox in the rain/snow or doing yard work.

There are excellent use cases for them, as there are for flip flops (to wear in the shower or around the pool). I have nothing against crocs when used in such situations, but I'm not a fan of seeing them being worn outside of such use cases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads