• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athleisure Wear Going Out Of Style?

The_Shooter

Reaction score
No there is nothing wrong with this -- but how is the schlub seated next to you wearing a ballcap a reflection of the waitstaff's effort and performance? That's the disconnect we're having here.

The waitstaff is going the whole 9 yards to take care of you, but get dinged on their tip -- however slightly -- because someone's wearing a hat. That's not right.

And trust me, people wearing hats in sit-down restaurants is a pet peeve of mine. But that's an issue I have with those individuals, not the restaurant and certainly not the waitstaff.

so I guess in an attempt to close the disconnect:
But I view that as a lack of effort in their total presentation, and that goes to the service package.

if I go to the theater I don’t want some scrub in a track suit as a ticket taker or an usher. It’s all part of the package.

and as I keep saying, I don’t “stiff” the waiters at the sub par restaurants. I just don’t give them the extra percentage for excellent service. Because to me the presentation matters and is part of the total package.

rjc149

Reaction score
so I guess in an attempt to close the disconnect:
But I view that as a lack of effort in their total presentation, and that goes to the service package.

if I go to the theater I don’t want some scrub in a track suit as a ticket taker or an usher. It’s all part of the package.

and as I keep saying, I don’t “stiff” the waiters at the sub par restaurants. I just don’t give them the extra percentage for excellent service. Because to me the presentation matters and is part of the total package.
The waitstaff's presentation matters, yes. Or the usher or ticket taker. Agreed.

But you're arguing that the presentation of a given patron is a reflection of the venue's staff -- do I actually need to point out how illogical that is?

rjc149

Reaction score
This whole discussion has made me realize that I probably tip worse if I don't enjoy my food, even though that's the chef's fault and not the server's. Now to decide if I feel like I should change my behavior or not
If you've ever waited tables, I think you would.

I tip the waitstaff solely and purely based on the conduct of the servers waiting my table -- that is what the tip is for. What you pay for the food, good or not, is on the menu. I will cut the tip for inattentiveness, lack of friendliness or warmth, overly-zealous busboys grabbing unfinished plates or drinks from your table, or, if a mistake was made, no effort to make up for it.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tip the waitstaff solely and purely based on the conduct of the servers waiting my table -- that is what the tip is for. What you pay for the food, good or not, is on the menu. I will cut the tip for inattentiveness, lack of friendliness or warmth, overly-zealous busboys grabbing unfinished plates or drinks from your table, or, if a mistake was made, no effort to make up for it.

Yeah I mean I bussed and waited tables in HS and college. Never really thought about tipping based on food until now and I’m sure I do that.

rjc149

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I bussed and waited tables in HS and college. Never really thought about tipping based on food until now and I’m sure I do that.
You accept that you're not always going to get the full 20% tip. Sometimes it's over something you did or didn't do, sometimes it's over the food or how long it took, sometimes people are just stingy tippers.

But not getting a full tip specifically because someone in the restaurant was wearing a hat -- ouch.

The_Shooter

Reaction score

oh don’t get me started on overzealous bus boys grabbing people’s plates before the other diners have finished.
I once saw my grandmother stab a busboy in the hand with a fork for attempting to take a person’s plate away before all the diners were finished their meals. Good old grandma, understood the importance of order and presentation.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh don’t get me started on overzealous bus boys grabbing people’s plates before the other diners have finished.
I once saw my grandmother stab a busboy in the hand with a fork for attempting to take a person’s plate away before all the diners were finished their meals. Good old grandma, understood the importance of order and presentation.

This legitimately angers me, too

The_Shooter

Reaction score
In an attempt to balance the scales here, @The_Shooter what, by way of example, would you be wearing while seated next to the Hat Wearing Scrubs?

pair of lightweight synthetic material golf pants, tassel loafers, button down short sleeve linen shirt.
i left the double breasted blazer and ascot at home. But I often incorporate that into this type of casual outfit

speaking of which, I have decided that the ascot is the most under Utilized menswear accessory out there.
first, nothing says “this guy knows how to keep it casual but still likes to party” better than an ascot.
But at the same time, how comfortable is an ascot?!?!? Amazing. Like a silk lining for your shirt collar. I can’t think of a fashion accessory with such a utility and purpose.

I’m definitely wearing the ascot as much as possible these days.

rjc149

Reaction score
While annoying, this is usually because the management requires busboys to “be busy” at the risk of their jobs. If they appear idle, they are prime targets for firing. There are probably thousands in line to replace them. Where I live, busboys are often illegal immigrants who rely on the income (tips) to feed their families. They just want to keep their jobs.

I’ve politely but firmly asked busboys to stay away from my table until I’ve paid and left. Sometimes they will successfully take an unfinished plate or drink, in which case I will notify the server, who will usually offer a free drink, comp the meal, or similar. Once I went to use the bathroom and returned to my table to find that my dinner had been whisked away by a busboy who was hovering like a vulture over the tables. I wasn’t going to wait for another meal, so I left 10%. The meal was on the house, but I was pissed off. I was justified with the tip there.

But some of my irritation was for the management for creating that kind of a work environment for the busboys. Again, I’ve been there.

Last edited:

The_Shooter

Reaction score
LOL

a $60 Philly trash outfit now being hyped as a designer look probably selling for $2k.

i think part of the problem with this trend also is the justification of cost. How insecure does a person have to be to pay a premium for an outfit they can purchase at any Philadelphia discount store for tens of tens of dollars? Throw a popular streetwear brand name on it, so what?

buy this belenciaga replica eagles outfit for 10 times what it generally goes for!

B5ABB628-5D37-4E8A-A5B7-33F9FB2C95EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads