• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athleisure Wear Going Out Of Style?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are always going to be people passing through here who appear to like feeling superior to others based on how they dress. They don't usually last very long IME.

That's such a foolish way to go through life. A true man knows that his worth is based on how big his television is and what kind of watch he wears.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's such a foolish way to go through life. A true man knows that his worth is based on how big his television is and what kind of watch he wears.

Very enlightening. And I thought that it was the size of his package.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
When I was in college I wasn’t worried about what GenX was thinking. I don’t really think any generation cares much about the next one, but more so the skip level generation (their parents).

In other words, gen Z cares nothing about Millennials and more that they don’t look like their Gen X parents do today (while also borrowing the styles of their youth Since fashion operates on 20-30 yr cycles)
Is that true in the insta-age? The kids live an entirely different existence than your youth.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
Was out an about last night

people put effort into their attire. Not everyone, but enough so that those dressed like slobs stood out as slobs.

good to see things trending back to looking good again.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Was out an about last night

people put effort into their attire. Not everyone, but enough so that those dressed like slobs stood out as slobs.

good to see things trending back to looking good again.

I'll admit that the majority of the time I go out these days it's for exercise, so I'm not exactly dressed to the nines. But I make an effort whenever I'm going somewhere else- like to the office for my once every few months visit, etc.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good a place as any for this complaint. I rarely have a chance to wear a tie anymore, so I was looking forward to an upcoming family wedding. It turns out that literally nobody (groom included) is going to be wearing a tie, so I am out of luck. If you can’t count on weddings to dress up where do we go from here.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
Good a place as any for this complaint. I rarely have a chance to wear a tie anymore, so I was looking forward to an upcoming family wedding. It turns out that literally nobody (groom included) is going to be wearing a tie, so I am out of luck. If you can’t count on weddings to dress up where do we go from here.

i don’t know what to think of the neck tie

It looks good, when done right. I don’t dislike it. I lean towards liking it.
it looks bad when done poorly, like middle management Scranton PA paper company, or government employees in The Wire.
but generally it looks good.

but is it necessary?
A suit without a tie can look superb as well.

And let’s be real.
the only “controversial” aspect of those who dress well versus the slobs is the neck tie.
it is the the neck tie that draws the comments from the insecure “why are you all dressed up?”
It is the neck tie that brings a different level of formality to one person that might not be present with others.
it is the neck tie that people associate with a “work” or “formal function” or “purpose beyond being social” that can make the slobs uncomfortable.

not to mention, with respect to the “comfort” argument thag the slobs like to push, remove the necktie and a nice outfit is generally as comfortable as the slob in jeans. It is only the buttoned collar that really separates the formal outfit in comfort.

and a suit without a tie is a “good” look.

but then again, I like ties. And a suit with a tie is often a “better” look than one without. How much better? Debatable.

I was looking in the sam hober appreciation thread and lots of great neck ties in those photos. But I’m not sure when and where those are being worn? What type of situation? Work? Special occasions? Doubtful that they are being worn for every day social opportunities.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don’t know what to think of the neck tie

It looks good, when done right. I don’t dislike it. I lean towards liking it.
it looks bad when done poorly, like middle management Scranton PA paper company, or government employees in The Wire.
but generally it looks good.

but is it necessary?
A suit without a tie can look superb as well.

And let’s be real.
the only “controversial” aspect of those who dress well versus the slobs is the neck tie.
it is the the neck tie that draws the comments from the insecure “why are you all dressed up?”
It is the neck tie that brings a different level of formality to one person that might not be present with others.
it is the neck tie that people associate with a “work” or “formal function” or “purpose beyond being social” that can make the slobs uncomfortable.

not to mention, with respect to the “comfort” argument thag the slobs like to push, remove the necktie and a nice outfit is generally as comfortable as the slob in jeans. It is only the buttoned collar that really separates the formal outfit in comfort.

and a suit without a tie is a “good” look.

but then again, I like ties. And a suit with a tie is often a “better” look than one without. How much better? Debatable.

I was looking in the sam hober appreciation thread and lots of great neck ties in those photos. But I’m not sure when and where those are being worn? What type of situation? Work? Special occasions? Doubtful that they are being worn for every day social opportunities.

I generally think most people who wear suits without ties look terrible, because they look like they had a tie on before and just took it off. I like suits without ties when they’re being worn with something not normally associated with a suit: bright patterned shirt, or a denim/chambray, or a T-shirt and sneakers.

I like wearing ties though, period, and don’t care what people think about it. If I’m going to a nice lunch or dinner, I’m probably in a tie. Especially knit ties, which relax the formality of the fit.

The_Shooter

Reaction score
I generally think most people who wear suits without ties look terrible, because they look like they had a tie on before and just took it off. I like suits without ties when they’re being worn with something not normally associated with a suit: bright patterned shirt, or a denim/chambray, or a T-shirt and sneakers.

I like wearing ties though, period, and don’t care what people think about it. If I’m going to a nice lunch or dinner, I’m probably in a tie. Especially knit ties, which relax the formality of the fit.

not that it matters too much, but where I am coming from:
i wear a tie all the time.
im not one of those who laments about rarely wearing a tie.
i don’t “have to” wear a tie, but if I wear one I’m not out of place in my setting and many people I know still wear ties.

so I’m not a member of that group of “rarely get to wear a tie, would like to do it more frequently.”

regarding suit without a tie:
I do think the tie looks better.
At the same time I think suit without a tie is a great look. Maybe I’m just used to it as I have seen it a lot the past 25 years, whether in my daily life or on tv? But I think it can look very nice.
As nice as with a tie? Probably not.
but nicer than what most will be wearing in the same environment? Yes.

I was watching better call Saul season 6 yesterday. Episode 5, Lalo is in Germany and he meets up with the engineers wife at a bar. He’s wearing a suit without a tie. I thought it was a good look when I saw it yesterday. Just an example, nothing special about that moment, but just an example.

I guess what I’m getting at, the long story short:
- sure I prefer the tie
- if we are living in a world where the slobs are taking over, and the tie becomes like the monocle and the pocket watch on a chain, I could live with that. I think the structured jacket is the more important aspect of a nice outfit (whether it’s a suit and is a worsted wool that matches the pants or it’s an off jacket and has a different texture)

The_Shooter

Reaction score
Regarding some of the alternative looks for a a suit:

I think the worst look is the polo shirt with a suit.
either go with a full placket or not.
a t-shirt with a suit? Not my preference, but not bad, most people can pull it off ok. It helps if one is fit.
I have done it, usually when traveling (don’t want to pack the suit for wrinkles, but no need for a button down shirt, so throw on a t-shirt.).

i don’t care much for louder color shirts, but would agree that without a tie one has more liberty and freedom with the patterns and colors of their shirts. If you can pull it off, great.

regarding the footwear:
I don’t hate sneakers with a suit, on a younger gentleman. I think “we’ll at least he’s trying” and at least he got the suit part down. Does it “look good”? Not sure. Does it “look bad”? Probably not, so ultimately I am fine with it.

i do think older men wearing sneakers with suits comes off as trying too hard and is a difficult look to pull off. Has a look of “they made me wear the suit” or “hey kids, look at me, I’m cool like you!”

If you have reached the age where a baseball cap is a bad look, you might not want to be wearing sneakers with your suit. I think that’s a decent guide

The_Shooter

Reaction score
And just some food for thought,
And again, this isn’t my preference, but I do think it has been disseminated enough that it is widely accepted. Most think this looks natural, and not out of place. Sure some look sloppy (the world leaders don’t look too good trying to pull it off, but they aren’t models).

But it does look a thousand times better than athleisure wear. In a world where any sense of formality is under attack, I prefer this over joggers and a hoodie.

it’s really the jacket that keeps an adult man looking proper more than anything else.

8B385E8B-7A2D-4C26-A171-CCFF2E92408A.png

57FC1E0C-1453-4346-AE73-C01B2C6FC697.jpeg

CB27A5B3-986E-4D2A-8394-2F8A3E6C5B21.jpeg

E895E763-0915-4914-82DF-2DCDFB6BDAD8.jpeg

2E00858A-7EC6-4FB4-8C23-CDF4B73A7DA1.jpeg

3EA2A657-AEB0-471F-B598-ED7CA024D768.jpeg

521986FD-6023-4102-8C2E-059A10CA926F.jpeg

6C704842-F6D8-4D97-AA17-61ABE2A29492.png

8E0F3A8A-2DC8-4B66-8ADD-C98F9C7C4AC4.jpeg

5D60D0AB-3A45-48D9-96EE-A34EC51573E1.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if you showed the attractive fit guys in polos and khakis, they would still look better than the fat pasty guys in suits.

It’s a mistake to think an outfit is good just because some young, handsome actor looks good in it.

the world leaders picture…those guys all look like office workers who took off their ties for happy hour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads