1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ate at Starbucks, WTF!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fuuma, Aug 9, 2012.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

This conversation has gone meta. We went from pontificating on the chicken and egg questions of aesthetic taste and food development in culture to gutter admissions of our favorite chain restaurant side orders.

Eric, that Middle Eastern pizza will fit in disturbingly well with all the other images that come up when one Googles Middle East atrocities

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  3. CraigJB

CraigJB Member

4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

as though anyone in LA knows anything about pizza

1 person likes this.
  5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

In NY and surrounding areas Pizza Pies are often referred to as simply "Pies".

6. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I'm aware - my comment on LA is still valid

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Oh, word.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Am I the only one struggling to square :foo:'s defense of mass-merch-food with his preference for hand-crafted clothing? :eh:

1 person likes this.
  10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Since this thread seems to be a free-floating discussion anyways, some quotes from Atul Gawande's recent New Yorker article about how health care might learn from big chain restaurant operations:

The article starts with him admitting that he enjoyed the food at Cheesecake Factory and then doing a :hide:

Especially after having read the rest of the article, I'd be happy if hospitals ran more like Cheesecake Factories.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

What can you eat at Starbucks? Just sandwiches and cake, isen't it?

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

They put in a Krispy Kreme in town (first in Canada? don't know, who cares) and the doughnuts are better than Tim Horton's. In fact, I'm pretty sure they make them with some big doughnut machine right in front of you- not sure what American KK's look like.

I'm not sure how the KK stays open here, though, as nobody seems to be in there. Ever.

Tim Hortons, however, has terrible everything (especially their paint-thinner coffee). I think Foo made the comment that ''oh em gee, nobody would evar go in there if the food or coffee was bad'' which is pretty ridiculous. Seriously? You think the people who go in to those places really give a shit what that stuff tastes like? Do you think those people know what a coffee from the upscale Italian cafe downtown tastes like? Fuck no. Most don't know the difference between good coffee and bad, and why would they?

Fuuma can claim that people are brainwashed by corporations and you guys can claim that people make their own decisions independently like magic, but it's BOTH. Most people are fucking stupid. It's that simple. Most people are fucking idiots. They don't know what they want. If you offered the suburbs human fucking waste shaped like a muffin in the morning and set up 100,000 locations near their, they'd eat it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I didn't say any particular food must be good if people are buying it. I said: (1) there is no reason to believe people aren't weighing their choices and ultimately making their own decisions about what to buy, and (2) the availability and quality of food have broadly improved in correlation with economic growth.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  14. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Stand corrected. Sorry, you're a valuable poster and I make a point to read what you say carefully but they're often dense.