• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At Work: Keeping your word vs. seizing an opportunity?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main point, for those who don't want to read the entire story (i.e. rant) is how true to your word do you think one should keep, even at the chance of seizing a more attractive opportunity?

After reading the story, it may seem trivial (and it is) for the job I am in currently, but having this 'trivial' experience now may help me out in future when I'm out in the "real world" actually in a career position, so hearing your guys' inputs is greatly appreciated.

To put it into context:
I am currently working part-time as an AV Tech/Installer for a small local company that does really high end installs. The job is mediocre, as is the pay for the kind of stuff I am expected to do, IMHO.

The boss is a good guy, but is wildly unreliable and inconsistent with my scheduling. Whether it is the nature of the company's service, I don't know, but it is still a huge bother for me as I often do not know where I am going for a job, nor how long the job is going to take (e.g. 12 hour days when I'm expecting to work 8) the night before.

He excessively dishes out praise to me so much that it makes me think he realizes the **** (e.g. not getting paid for travel time to jobs out in the boonies) I am putting up and he is trying to compensate for it; even offering me free hockey tickets.

Anyways, last night I informed him of my availability of work for the upcoming semester. I had also informed him in the beginning of my employment that this was going to be a casual thing for me, and I did not expect to be staying past April (once I graduate).

This morning while at work, I got an offer of a Teaching Assistantship at school, where therate of pay is nearly double of my current job, but the number of hours worked is much less; in the end I calculated that I would earn approximately 25% more (in absolute terms) at the end of the semester. However, the experience and, most importantly to me, the enjoyment of it would likely be more valuable.

The problem is, if I took the job, I would be available for one less day then I indicated (From 3 weekdays to 2) last night. I've already had a few instances where I had to backtrack on my availability for work due to the irregular and unpredictable scheduling/work locations, and have felt bad for having to do so as he had to re-work his plans for the day. I'm usually not so flaky nor unreliable with my word (e.g. I am rarely ever late), just the erratic nature of the work had forced me to do so in the few instances.

Adding to that, the company just scored a contract with a hotel under construction (complete with porta-potties
mad.gif
), to do the installs of Plasma TV's and in-wall speakers for nearly 100 rooms, and that job is what I am expected to be working on in the following months. If I reduce my availability, I'm sure it would put even more strain on his deadline as it would only be me and another guy doing the entire job (that I know of).

I initially declined the offer due to my work schedule. However, I immediately started regretting it and rethinking it. Exactly an hour later I emailed about the position again and indicated that I could work around my work schedule to take the TA position. Unfortunately by that time, another offer had already been extended to another candidate, and my getting the position would be dependent on the other candidate turning it down.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ouch. Take the position if you can. Your current job sounds somewhat sketchy and a simple "I can't pass this up" type of conversation should be sufficient, especially if you are planning on staying on for less time than before. He can find other workers to help out, that's not really your problem.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would've taken the TA job. Tell your current boss what the situation is, and if he really is a good guy (or just realizes the business is business), he'll understand. You don't have a contract, you have no obligation to him just as he has none to you. If it benefited his business, he would cut your hours (or extend them) if he could. It works both ways, and part of the downside for him of having you as cheap, flexible labor is that you can change your mind anytime.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Business is business and you aren't a person, you are employee xyz. The moment you are an inconvenience to them, they will ditch you without thinking twice about it, so you shouldn't either. I used to fall into the same trap and there is something to be said for loyalty, which could reward you in the end, but for this I wouldn't worry about it.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't read your rant but let me say that in the business world you need to look out for yourself first. If you have a good opportunity you should take it regardless of what you've told anyone. They'd do it to you in a second.

Signed
-corporate drone

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
i didn't read your rant but let me say that in the business world you need to look out for yourself first. If you have a good opportunity you should take it regardless of what you've told anyone. They'd do it to you in a second.

Signed
-corporate drone

+1. It's not personal, it's business. Ever heard of a company keeping its word about not firing employees when it needs to? Right. It doesn't happen.

Also, you shouldn't have turned down your TA position in the first place.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loyalty is for family and fools.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a purely business decision. Give two weeks notice in writing and take the new job! Unless you are under contract, that is all you owe the current employer. He will certainly cut you in the clear whenever it suits him!

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I forgot to add: don't be a sucker!

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
OUCH!!!!!!

Oh fine, loyalty is also appropriate for Internet message board buddies.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
loyalty comes in the workplace in the form of faithfulness, coming to work on time, not badmouthing, doing your job, doing what is asked of you, having integrity, not using your current job as a leverage to another ( not long term), etc.

looking for other work because the current one does not satisfy or promises were not kept is only business. loyalty should be mutual; your employer did not do his part.

seek out the other job.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, you should be commended for your desire to keep your word although I object to the wording of your initial question -- "how true to your word do you think one should keep, even at the chance of seizing a more attractive opportunity?" If the absence of a more attractive opportunity is all that is keeping you there, you are not "keeping your word." You are simply owned by the promise of the next best thing. You really demonstrate keeping your word when it comes at a cost to yourself and you should disregard all those that tell you that honesty and loyalty are only for fools. Honesty and loyalty are worth more than the next promising job opportunity.

That said, I would echo much of what shoe said above about this particular situation. Your informing your boss of your planned availability for the upcoming semester does not constitute a promise to work for him for the duration of the semester. If you wish to end your employment with him, you owe him simply two weeks notice.

Good luck,

Dan

modsquad

Reaction score
Take the TA job. You are not breaking your word. You did not know about the TA job when you told your boss your availability. The TA job may well be valuable to you in the long term: looks good on your resume, your professor will go to bat for you in the job market, you'll learn a lot about your field, etc. TV/Cable installer is a job where people come and go; it's not a career and it has to take a backseat to the parts of your professional life that are, in fact, a career. Your position as a student makes that even more true. Take the TA thing without a second thought.

Fabro

Reaction score
No question, take the TA job. It will be better for your career long term. Give him the full 2 week's notice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads