• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At What Time Of The Year Do You Stop Wearing Suede And Cordovan Shoes?

Reaction score
Suede shoes are good for worm weathers. I also mine over summer and feel very comfortable. I have not tried them in rain but am glad to see the video ^. A water proof suede protector is a good idea. This automatically makes suede shoe a all season wear.

Well on the other hand I still think that when other people can be in closed shoes over summer this may not work for others. Some people tend to sweat very much and feel uncomfortable in them.

knezz

Reaction score

:slayer:
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
btw, im wearing an SNS sweater in that video. In fact, today, i sold both the sweater and the loafers :bounce2:

Any color change in the suede after treating (even very slight)?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was wearing a pair of suede oxfords during an unseasonably warm day and my feet felt a bit warm. The next day I felt the same with my cordovans.
What time of year do you retire yours?
While I have retired ... I have not allowed my suede and cordovan the same privilege.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually stop around spring. Perhaps I have been influenced by the igents.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I wear suede most days—except in the snow, this deforms the leather and also salt stains on suede can be awful to get out.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

btw, im wearing an SNS sweater in that video. In fact, today, i sold both the sweater and the loafers :bounce2:

Thats awesome! What other shoe videos have you done?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't wear shell or suede in slush or heatwave weather.

Really? I drag out my dirty bucks in a lot of crappy weather, seeing as they're waterproof. I've put the poor things through the wringer quite a bit, but they're still perfectly fine-

Jeff, I specifically said slush and heatwave weather and spoke only for myself. I will expound and then address your post.
Slush, all too often, contains a high amount of salt which damages all leather. Therefore, I won't expose my suedes or better leather shoes to it.
If you choose to do so, that is perfectly fine. They are your shoes.
Suede protector does not make suede waterproof. It is absorbed by the nap of the suede, making it water resilient which is the next best thing.

the whole suede falling apart if it touches water is a myth.

I never stated that suede falls apart if it touches water so, again, I don't know where this is coming from. :confused:

And shell is probably the best leather you can choose for slush- pretty much impregnable.
To me, suede is year round. Shell I wear less during the summer because it keeps my feet warmer. Also, the only shell shoes I have are black, and I wear black shoes a lot less during the summer.

I would give Patent leather the nod over shell for waterproofness. Shell cordovan is indeed water resistant but only the top of those shoes are made of shell. As the soles of shoes made with shell are made like any other sole (Dainite or other synthetics excluded) they will also be prone to water and salt damage.
I am more in alignment with what NAMOR has stated about the first rains of spring. This makes sense.
Personally I don't own many shoes in suede and I baby all of my shoes to begin with.
As much as possible I will not expose my shoes to conditions where salt is or may be involved.
That said, I have no concern with wearing my suede through late spring-summer-fall and early winter. It is simply my preference.
In heatwaves, I find suede too 'heavy guage' and uncomfortable. I prefer my other shoes with thinner leathers during those periods.
I don't tell anyone what to do. These are my thoughts and preferences based on my own experiences.
Lastly, I do have one pair of nubuck longwing rubber-soled beaters (old pair of Bostonians made in Italy - great quality) that I muck around with in winter. I have ruined the nap on them altogether and regret doing this. Had I not exposed them to snow and slush, they would still be beautiful. Well that is about all I can add. Hope this clarifies.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said. Suede is a fantastic look for summer.

+1. In fact, this thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that spring is when you might stop wearing suede. For me, it's when I start (Ontario winters being too slushy and road-salty for anything like suede).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads