At What Time Of The Year Do You Stop Wearing Suede And Cordovan Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by knezz, Mar 16, 2012.

1. michellefashion

michellefashion Member

Suede shoes are good for worm weathers. I also mine over summer and feel very comfortable. I have not tried them in rain but am glad to see the video ^. A water proof suede protector is a good idea. This automatically makes suede shoe a all season wear.

Well on the other hand I still think that when other people can be in closed shoes over summer this may not work for others. Some people tend to sweat very much and feel uncomfortable in them.

2. knezz

knezz Senior member

Any color change in the suede after treating (even very slight)?

3. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

+1

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

While I have retired ... I have not allowed my suede and cordovan the same privilege.

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

usually darkens the suede a bit

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

7. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I usually stop around spring. Perhaps I have been influenced by the igents.

8. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

I wear suede most days—except in the snow, this deforms the leather and also salt stains on suede can be awful to get out.

9. etb

etb Senior member

What he said. Suede is a fantastic look for summer.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats awesome! What other shoe videos have you done?

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Jeff, I specifically said slush and heatwave weather and spoke only for myself. I will expound and then address your post.
    Slush, all too often, contains a high amount of salt which damages all leather. Therefore, I won't expose my suedes or better leather shoes to it.
    If you choose to do so, that is perfectly fine. They are your shoes.
    Suede protector does not make suede waterproof. It is absorbed by the nap of the suede, making it water resilient which is the next best thing.

I never stated that suede falls apart if it touches water so, again, I don't know where this is coming from. :confused:

I would give Patent leather the nod over shell for waterproofness. Shell cordovan is indeed water resistant but only the top of those shoes are made of shell. As the soles of shoes made with shell are made like any other sole (Dainite or other synthetics excluded) they will also be prone to water and salt damage.
    I am more in alignment with what NAMOR has stated about the first rains of spring. This makes sense.
    Personally I don't own many shoes in suede and I baby all of my shoes to begin with.
    As much as possible I will not expose my shoes to conditions where salt is or may be involved.
    That said, I have no concern with wearing my suede through late spring-summer-fall and early winter. It is simply my preference.
    In heatwaves, I find suede too 'heavy guage' and uncomfortable. I prefer my other shoes with thinner leathers during those periods.
    I don't tell anyone what to do. These are my thoughts and preferences based on my own experiences.
    Lastly, I do have one pair of nubuck longwing rubber-soled beaters (old pair of Bostonians made in Italy - great quality) that I muck around with in winter. I have ruined the nap on them altogether and regret doing this. Had I not exposed them to snow and slush, they would still be beautiful. Well that is about all I can add. Hope this clarifies.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

+1. In fact, this thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that spring is when you might stop wearing suede. For me, it's when I start (Ontario winters being too slushy and road-salty for anything like suede).

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Hey Namor, how thoroughly did you spray those loafers? Was the feel of the suede impacted at all?