• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what point should one ask for a custom tailoring remake?

orangehaggis

Reaction score
I'm a long time reader but a brand new SF member. I recently bought a custom three piece suit from a reputable custom tailoring firm here in Northeastern Ohio. On the first fitting, several large adjustments were made and the unfinished sleeves and trousers were marked. On the second fitting it was discovered that the sleeves were still a bit long, but as the button holes had been cut, the sleeves were altered from the shoulder. I wasn't quite happy with one of the sleeves and brought it back to them and they agreed that one sleeve was still a bit long. Upon collecting the suit I found that the left sleeve had been altered from the bottom, shortening the distance between the bottom button and the end of the sleeve by 1/4". I took the suit away as I had a funeral to attend that very morning, however, I did raise the matter with the proprietor and was told that because they'd already altered the sleeves from the shoulders once already, they couldn't do this a second time. When I see the difference between the two sleeves I am sorely displeased. 1/4" of an inch isn't a great difference, but I expected something much nearer to perfection for my $1,800 and change.

I have been a customer of the firm since the early summer and have had many alterations performed by, and have ordered a shirt from them. The suit is my largest purchase to date, and is certainly the most expensive article of clothing I've ever purchased.

What should reasonable expectations from this experience be? If the sleeve really can't be made to match the right one, am I entitled to ask for the suit to be remade?

Orangehaggis

lastquestion

Reaction score
They should have done the shortening from the shoulder, or remade the sleeves. I would ask for that, and if they did not give me that, begun negotiations - but I am always prepared to return the item and charge back the merchant on my credit card.

I think, one should always be flexible in the ways goals are achieved but demand perfection of those goals. But truly one should also be realistic of the cost and difficulty of changes you ask.

In this instance, for example, the change you asked for isn't more then say 5-20% of the work of the suit itself, therefore I would press for a fix. But if I asked for a sleeve to be shortened on MTM shirting, and then realized it was too short, I would not ask for a free remake but take it as lesson learned and lengthen next time. Because to redo the sleeves on a MTM shirt is probably 30-50% of the work of the shirt itself.

I made the percentages up, but you get the idea.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are a long way from requiring a remake. You have several options to pursue. The back part of the sleeve can be adjusted up or down to make the distance from the buttonholes to the hem the same without changing the sleeve length at the front of your wrist.

If they made the second adjustment at the hem, they can return the hem to the previous length. You can then negotiate shortening form the top if you want.

You could adjust the back part of the other sleeve to match, leaving front length alone.

You could have one sleeve remade rather than an entire jacket

Really is best to not rush when doing buttonholes on sleeves until certain of the finished sleeve length.

Sean McKee

Reaction score
I would simply ask to have the sleeves remade at the factory. Once you start adjusting sleeves with functional button holes more than once you're ruining the integrity of the garment. It also begins to be too expensive for the tailor so the sooner they decide to remake the sleeves the better for you and them.

Good Luck,

Sean

orangehaggis

Reaction score
Thank you, lastquestion, Despos and Sean McKee. I'll raise the issue with the tailoring firm this afternoon when I collect an article of clothing they've pressed for me. I would've strongly preferred a second fitting before the button holes were cut. The tailor assured me when I pointed out the difference in the two sleeves that all of these changes would be made to my pattern for next time ... but I can't afford a nearly $2,000 rough draft.

Orangehaggis

Sean McKee

Reaction score
No problem...I'm in Columbus Ohio and have clients throughout the state so if I can be of help in anyway please let me know.

Sean McKee

Sean Mckee Clothiers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads