1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

At what age did you start acting maturely

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SpallaCamiccia, Jan 24, 2011.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

There are underlying assumptions in some of these posts that (a) acting immaturely is a bad thing and that (b) maturity is a progression. As I approach the beginning of my 6th decade I can assure you all that neither of these things is necessarily true.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

maybe i'll start at age 60 perhaps.

and that's what?... 3 years from now?

4. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Senior member

If maturity = stiff, formal, humorless then count me out. If maturity = getting your shit together and taking ownership of your life, that happened when I turned 30.

5. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Tried it once for a day...it just wasn't me.

6. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

I gave it up for Lent, and I am not even Catholic.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

There are underlying assumptions in some of these posts that (a) acting immaturely is a bad thing and that (b) maturity is a progression. As I approach the beginning of my 6th decade I can assure you all that neither of these things is necessarily true.
    Agree with (a); unsure what you mean by (b). If you mean maturity is not a constant, regular progression, then I agree. If you mean that not everyone progressively acts more maturely, that's also true. However, I would say that I am progressively more satisfied with my life, more content, and more able to react to situations in ways I consider appropriate, whether that means getting down on the floor to play with a child, posting a dumbass comment in the DT forum, or putting on my professional face and mediating a dispute between two subordinates in a calm, reasoned and professional way.

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I "grew up" fairly promptly within a year long period at 22. Things just suddenly started to click. I basically started to modify my life in a way that made the pursuit of happiness autonomous rather than dependent on external circumstances or people beyond my control. Removing expectations and timelines for things like wealth, career advancement, material possessions, and relationships was really important. I shed my old circle of friends in the process, but it's made me much more content. The things I take satisfaction out of now are becoming more and more mundane and simple. Time is the foolproof method for parallax. [​IMG]

9. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

I'm kind of feel, that I'm not even near there yet... [​IMG]

I think most people start acting really maturely only after they become parents. It's a very important life experience that changes accents and points of view on the world.

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Behaviorally i think im still working on it

Regarding responsibility right around when i got married

11. West24

West24 Senior member

matters the situation. i can be more mature with money etc then a lot of people much older then me who throw it away like nothing. yet on the other hand if you had a conversation with me and heard some of my jokes youd probably think i was just a ridiculously good lookign 15 year old.