• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At last: A suit that really worked.

Lydia

Reaction score
It's been difficult to find a suit that I look good in. Now my life seems about to take a turn toward the more serious, so I need one. I've always hated the bagginess and taperedness of suit trousers.
The problem is that I have to look ready to do business, etc., but I just don't feel comfortable with the "bigness" of most suits.
I tried on that new one from RL black label. It was slightly better, but hardly as slim as it looked in those GQ pictures, and I don't like the narrow ankles of the pants.
I other day I was walking by YSL rive gauche and I dropped in. Finally a suit that really looked good. Compared to other suits it is extremely supressed around the waist, but the skirt also doesn't flare out too much at the hips. The pants didn't have all of the fabric hanging off behind your hip and were slightly bootcut. The silhouette was just beautiful. Unlike many stores, they carried a 38l, too.
Problem was: the suit was definately fused, and it has only one vent. One vent always ends up looking bad on me. For 1500 dollars, I want to do a lot better. Are there any options for this kind of super-slim cut, but with better quality? I have to get a suit in a relative hurry.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YSL, as I have said over and over, is fused, overpriced trash; though you will find people to argue the opposite, they probably don't own YSL.

Try Borrelli for a coat that hugs.

Prada makes a suit with slender pants. The coat is boxy (but cut for the slender lad).

I've heard good things about Dior. PM LAGuy.

aybojs

Reaction score
All the YSL rive gauche suits (both at Neiman's and at the local boutique) I've seen have been canvas front. I'm pretty sure they were made by Zegna and on par with the standard Ermenegildo Zegna line. In fairness, I haven't been to a YSL store in a year or so, so thing might have changed since then, or it might just have been the model you were looking at.

mussel

Reaction score
I am confused, Lydia. Are you a dude or a chick?

Lydia

Reaction score
Well, I am in fact male. I'm not sure what brand of momentary lunacy propelled me into this name. I would like to change it, but haven't figured out how.

I was suprised that it seemed fused. In fact, I have a Gucci suit which is not fused, though I would have expected Gucci to have inferior quality to YSL.

naturlaut

Reaction score
For $1500, there shouldn't be any problem finding a mid-priced tailor doing a custom suit for you.

aybojs

Reaction score
Well, I am in fact male. I'm not sure what brand of momentary lunacy propelled me into this name. I would like to change it, but haven't figured out how.

I was suprised that it seemed fused. In fact, I have a Gucci suit which is not fused, though I would have expected Gucci to have inferior quality to YSL.
Last time I went to my nearest Gucci boutique I saw they had both fused and canvas suits at different price points, but they were ostensibly from the same line/label (as opposed to a diffusion line), so it might just be some annoying case by case basis thing with YSL too. I'd also like to join the "I wish I could change my nonsensical username too." I've just been too lazy to ask over the years I've been here.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am going to be in charge of issuing random new user names to anyone who isn't happy with theirs - but it will be completely random.

Lydia will now be known as "I am male"

aybojs will now be "Wash my car"

alchimiste

Reaction score
What's Ernest's new name?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"I heart boobs"

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lydia,

For $1500US, you can do a bespoke suit.

I do not see any problem with one vent. I actually think that one vent or no vent suit looka better when the jacket is buttoned.

I like boot cut jean, but for suit pants, I think they are too trendy. In fact, as I was passing by GUCCI store, I saw their white - black pin stripe suit displayed on window. The suit had boot cut pants which looked really pimped, but I do not think you can wear that pants once the trend changes.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Just a personal preference, I would certainly opt for double vented when it comes to suit jacket or sportcoat. Single vents are fine on long coats or trench-coat-type coats. I find it much more graceful with double vents, whether you are walking, digging for your keys in your pants pocket, or sitting down. If the vent height is cut right, you are put your hand in your pants pocket without destroying the contour of your back at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads