• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At Last! A Consignment Store Exclusively For Men!

French Cuff Consignment

Reaction score
I can't begin to tell you how nervous I feel about doing this. I'm as stressed out as a one legged man preparing to hop scotch his way through a mine field....but here I go anyway... For the past 7 years we have been selling new and gently used designer clothing on eBay, but in time, it became apparent that eBay just couldn't provide us with the type of exclusive forum we felt our customers deserved. So we set our hearts on the goal of trying to create a web site that would begin to treat savvy shoppers and discerning consignors like you, with the type of dignity and respect that you deserve. So the ground work has been laid for what we hope will become the world's finest on-line consignment store, exclusively for men. It's obvious that we still have a long way to go with the styling and functionality of the site, but had we known just how much work and expense it would require to get even to where we are now, we probably would have invested in Google instead! But now, since we have already plunged headlong into the mine field, we hope that you will help come to our rescue, and appreciate what we are trying to do. Please check us out at www.frenchcuffconsignment.com, because we sorely need your business. We realize that some you "˜thoroughbreds' might be disappointed that we don't have stacks of Attolini's or racks of John Lobbs available just yet, but I can assure you that we want them, and if you can get them, please let us sell them for you! I hope that you will check us out and do a little bit of shopping, no, actually a whole lot of shopping. And please drop us a line and let us know what you think of the site because we really want to keep getting better Thank you very much
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
Sincerely Michael

foto010101

Reaction score
Welcome! I am going to check out your store right away.

Mike
(Holland)

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Putting the sizes right under the pictures (along w/price and make) would be useful.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also sell men's clothing on ebay.

Your pix are good -- clean and clear.

Measurements and details very useful as well.

A lot of the brands currently listed, like Hugo Boss, are just OK, and prices seem expensive IMO.

In the pix of suits and sportcoats, you would have more cred if you left the bottom button unbuttoned.

French Cuff Consignment

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Putting the sizes right under the pictures (along w/price and make) would be useful.
Thank you for going to take a look. As far as the location of the price and sizes are you referring to all the images, or just to the closeups?

French Cuff Consignment

Reaction score
Thanks for the observations and magnanimity especially as a fellow seller. I really do appreciate it, and if you let me know your seller name, I'll definitely take a look at what you have to offer. And one other thing, I know that for me personally eBay has gotten a little cluttered with sellers, but if you do have some merchandise that you might be interested in listing on our site, I would be delighted to talk about it. I am hoping that we can be of assistance to the clothing purists out there who don't want to spend hours looking through junk to find real quality items from reputable sellers. Can we talk in private?
Originally Posted by mack11211
I also sell men's clothing on ebay. Your pix are good -- clean and clear. Measurements and details very useful as well. A lot of the brands currently listed, like Hugo Boss, are just OK, and prices seem expensive IMO. In the pix of suits and sportcoats, you would have more cred if you left the bottom button unbuttoned.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
I applaud your entrepreneurialism and initiative, but no offense, your prices are way too expensive for stuff that old.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As both a seller and buyer, these put me off: 1) Inflated cost estimates. For example, Hickey Freeman sportcoats in silk or wool do not cost $1000-$2500. They cost $1000, occasionally $1150. And when they are Hickey Freeman collection, they cost less. The new with tags cotton RLPL pants should have a price on them, so you can list it accurately, rather than saying they cost up to $500 when they do not. 2) Deceptive labeling, regardless of intention. The "Loro Piana" suit you list is not a Loro Piana suit. The fabric is from Loro Piana. It's a "John W. Nordstrom" suit. While this is clear from the pictures, it's misleading in the description. This is something that's been endlessly debated on here, mostly with regard to Zegna. 3) Ratings. How can a pair of pants be a 9.94? Awfully exact. 4) Prices are high. It's your business, so you can price however you see fit. But if I'm going to be paying a significant premium over other discount sellers, ebay, or even the original maker on sale, I'm not interested in dealing with the above. EDIT - I hope this doesn't come across as malicious or anything like that. Good luck, and may business be good.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have no helpful suggestions beyond what's already been said, but welcome to the forum and good luck with the venture.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by French Cuff Consignment
Thank you for going to take a look.

As far as the location of the price and sizes are you referring to all the images, or just to the closeups?

I'm pretty sure he means all the pictures. That's what I understood him to mean, and on that understanding I strongly second his comment. Many of us may frequent a number of online shops but have limited time, and it's a lot easier to "skim" for stuff you're interested in if all the relevant information is available to the eye at first glance. It's time-consuming and quickly becomes irritating when you have to click on something that might interest you to learn that it's not in your size.
This is, of course, mitigated by the ability to search by size, which your site does permit. This is a nice -- indeed, almost indispensable -- feature.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
I applaud your entrepreneurialism and initiative, but no offense, your prices are way too expensive for stuff that old.

Agreed.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Agreed.
Agreed +1

I just looked on Ebay, I'm a buyer and not a seller.

Your prices are 2 to 4 times what similar items are available for!

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with that if you are getting your price.

After all, Ebay is basically an efficient market. If your price is too high, it won't sell. If your price is too low, your product will probably sell, but you've left something on the table(with a too-low price).

But, I've heard from many sellers that it's better to list at a high price (and relist if it doesn't sell), than to list at a too low price.

Having said all that. May I ask, were you selling much on Ebay. I wonder why someone would pay you $299 for a "Gently Used" Zegna Cashmere coat on Ebay, for instance, when there are many similar ones available on Ebay for $50-75!

I really do wish you well, but I do ask. What is your business plan to get double the logical Ebay price.

I think you sense that you're not getting much love here! But SF members are generally a knowledgeable group, and there are many sources available for great values on both NWT fine clothes and even "Gently Used" clothes. See the Ebay thread on this Forum both for Shoes, and for clothes. If there's a great deal, it's likely that someone here will post it!

Again, I say, Good Luck!

A final question. You mentioned selling stuff for SF members through your?consignment store. How would that work and what would the split be?

French Cuff Consignment

Reaction score
Originally Posted by French Cuff Consignment
I can’t begin to tell you how nervous I feel about doing this. I’m as stressed out as a one legged man preparing to hop scotch his way through a mine field….but here I go anyway…
Judging from the responses I have received you can probably sense why I was so nervous, right? Never the less I am very happy that a few of you have gone and visited the site. I really do appreciate the feedback that I have received from you so far, and I hope that we will get even more. Please continue exploring the site, and let me know if there are any other areas you feel could and should be improved, because it's really been designed to meet and even try to exceed all of your expectations By the way the split on small lots of less than 20 items is 50/50 The bigger the lot, the smaller my cut. (But never less than 25%) But keep in mind too, that our aim is not just to sell clothing, we want to offer unparalleled comprehensive customer care that will go well beyond, what you typically see on eBay, and that will be customized to get you exactly what you want in the color and size and by the designers you want. Just wait and see! Oh, and by the way we also offer FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS OVER $100 in the USA But please keep posting your opinions; they are invaluable, and very insightful Thanks

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1) Inflated cost estimates. For example, Hickey Freeman sportcoats in silk or wool do not cost $1000-$2500. They cost $1000, occasionally $1150. And when they are Hickey Freeman collection, they cost less. The new with tags cotton RLPL pants should have a price on them, so you can list it accurately, rather than saying they cost up to $500 when they do not.
I think this is more of a function of how his listing program is set up - ie the person posting the items selects a range that the retail price falls into, rather than an exact price. It could be more specific, but I doubt it was meant to be misleading.

Also, I'm not sure that listing a John W Nordstrom suit cut from Loro Piana fabric as 'Loro Piana' is deceptive. Unlike Zegna, Loro Piana does not sell RTW suits, and it is quite clear from the pics who made the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads