• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At 39, am I too old to be wearing black Nike Killshot 2 sneakers?

stylebear

Reaction score
When I turned 25 I tried New Balance walking shoes. They are wonderfully comfortable and stable. Good for all ages. Nike is for people who don't mind that their shoes are made in chyna by slaves.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I turned 25 I tried New Balance walking shoes. They are wonderfully comfortable and stable. Good for all ages. Nike is for people who don't mind that their shoes are made in chyna by slaves.

The majority of Nike shoes aren't made in China. They're made throughout East Asia, including Vietnam. I have a cousin who works at the factory and have heard the working conditions are quite good. The factory pays for things such as childcare, which is considered upscale for the area.

Last edited:

Dune5

Reaction score
The majority of Nike shoes aren't made in China. They're made throughout East Asia, including Vietnam. I have a cousin who works at the factory and have heard the working conditions are quite good. The factory pays for things such as childcare, which is considered upscale for the area.

You know, as someone who's actually knowledgeable about the athletic and outdoor footwear & apparel industry (me), it's refreshing to see someone write something like this. The old biases and misinformation surrounding Nike, Inc. are absolutely insane.

99.9% of the Nike-hating folk I educate about "The Big 3" here in the USA (Nike, Adi, UA) are shocked to learn that all of the Air units (Zoom Air, Max Air, VaporMax, etc) are made right in Beaverton, Oregon...THEN get shipped to Asia / Middle east for assembly ;)

rjc149

Reaction score
M/30's (approaching late 30's) in NYC here.

Those are fine for very casual summer outfits with shorts -- but I believe at 39, you're running low on time to be wearing athleisure around town. That big prominent Nike logo makes them look somewhat juvenile. The all-white version definitely looks better.

How about a good non-exercise casual sneaker, like Sperry or Vans? There are tons of options in the casual sneaker space these days, almost inundated with newcomers, I'm sure other options will catch your eye that don't feature a giant athletic brand logo.

rjc149

Reaction score
wait, people in their 30s shouldn't wear t-shirts?
Depends on the t-shirt, the phase of one's 30's (early, mid or late) and the setting.

Logo/printed t-shirts are for the gym only. If you're a sports fan, a team-branded t-shirt is fine to wear to the game, or to the bar to watch the game.

A plain shallow v-neck or Henley t-shirt is fine in very hot weather, in very casual environments, on a man who spends at least some time lifting weights. I see too many scrawny stovepipe arms and even ******* on sedentary 30-something men wearing thin t-shirts, when a button-down or polo shirt over an undershirt would look much, much better.

The closer to 40, the more a man should default to collared shirts.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the t-shirt, the phase of one's 30's (early, mid or late) and the setting.

Logo/printed t-shirts are for the gym only. If you're a sports fan, a team-branded t-shirt is fine to wear to the game, or to the bar to watch the game.

A plain shallow v-neck or Henley t-shirt is fine in very hot weather, in very casual environments, on a man who spends at least some time lifting weights. I see too many scrawny stovepipe arms and even ******* on sedentary 30-something men wearing thin t-shirts, when a button-down or polo shirt over an undershirt would look much, much better.

The closer to 40, the more a man should default to collared shirts.

Eric Kvatek, a photographer whose work I enjoy, is in his 50s. He wears graphic tees and I think he looks great.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, but can you show me 57 photos of men from the 1930s - 1950s wearing graphic tees and looking great? :)

No, but that's not the only style possible. So if someone wants to choose something else, there are options.

I don't particularly care for "modern classic menswear." But for casualwear, there are a ton of great looks that aren't about looking respectable, tailored, or whatever.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but that's not the only style possible. So if someone wants to choose something else, there are options.

I don't particularly care for "modern classic menswear." But for casualwear, there are a ton of great looks that aren't about looking respectable, tailored, or whatever.

I know.

You're just torturing yourself in that other thread though, because you're arguing against a bunch of people who do (apparently) like "modern classic menswear". So you trying to convince them that oxfords only go with suits is just a futile as you trying to convince someone who is only interested in CM that t-shirts are OK for men in their 50s.

rjc149

Reaction score
Artists can take liberties and risks that aren’t always becoming on men of different vocations.

If the question was “can a middle-aged artist wear graphic t-shirts?” my reply would be “why couldn’t he?”

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Artists can take liberties and risks that aren’t always becoming on men of different vocations.
Yeah. Like mispronouncing Ralph Lauren's name. Watch the vid. Never mind, it's a (short) waste of time.

rjc149

Reaction score
Yeah. Like mispronouncing Ralph Lauren's name. Watch the vid. Never mind, it's a (short) waste of time.
I watched it. I don't consider this man to be particularly well-dressed, especially given his age, but for what he is, where he is, he looks perfectly appropriate.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he was working the night shift at a liquor store I’m not sure he’d be profiled here.

wearing Nike sneakers is fine when you’re a kid or when exercising. At 39, there are so many better options that look just as casual.

And yes, I’m not the only one that finds it ironic that DWW would defend Nike sneakers worn by a 39 year old yet it’s a hard stop with oxfords worn with anything but a suit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he was working the night shift at a liquor store I’m not sure he’d be profiled here.

wearing Nike sneakers is fine when you’re a kid or when exercising. At 39, there are so many better options that look just as casual.

And yes, I’m not the only one that finds it ironic that DWW would defend Nike sneakers worn by a 39 year old yet it’s a hard stop with oxfords worn with anything but a suit.

I dislike modern takes on classic men's clothing. That doesn't mean I dislike modernity or modern casualwear.

Having a strong preference for classic men's tailoring isn't the same as thinking that's the only legitimate aesthetic. Or thinking that smart casual is necessarily better than other forms of casualwear.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Imagine changing your last name so people will stop making fun of you but then people mispronounce the new last name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads