• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At 39, am I too old to be wearing black Nike Killshot 2 sneakers?

c0de

Reaction score
At 38, I have ones in all white.. I wear them quite a bit.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question was not “what do you think of this sneaker”. It specifically asked if at 39, he was too old for those sneakers. Apparently the OP was somewhat sensitive to the age appropriateness of his clothing and footwear choices. So I answered.

Name an outfit for which sneakers would be appropriate and I’ll find a better, more age appropriate choice of footwear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question was not “what do you think of this sneaker”. It specifically asked if at 39, he was too old for those sneakers. Apparently the OP was somewhat sensitive to the age appropriateness of his clothing and footwear choices. So I answered.

Name an outfit for which sneakers would be appropriate and I’ll find a better, more age appropriate choice of footwear.

I wear sneakers all the time. I wear them with :

- 3sixteen SL100x jeans + textured sweater + and some kind of jacket (e.g. Engineered Garments field jacket, Rocky Mountain Featherbed puffer jacket, or a vintage Lee trucker).

- 5" shorts + long-sleeved, thin merino knits

- RRL cargo fatigues + grey Buzz Rickson sweatshirt + TOJ black lambskin double rider

- Before I sold mine, I used to wear retro runners with Sierra Designs mountain parkas + Fair Isles + five-pocket cords. Free & Easy used to have tons of outfit pics showing this sort of "Rugged Ivy" look.

There are obviously multiple footwear options for all these outfits, but there's nothing wrong with wearing them with sneakers. I like sneakers for long walks, or sometimes when I just want a more comfortable shoe. Or when I want to wear something different. There are some sneakers that are relatively more age-appropriate than others. It would be hard to wear a pair of BAPEs well if you're 40 years old. My impression is that the OP was asking about that element.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the swoosh seems really big and high contrast on these , i'd look for something a little less branded personally. janoski models are similar but not quite so *nike*. $.02.

or possibly they offer these without the contrast swoosh

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear sneakers all the time. I wear them with :

- 3sixteen SL100x jeans + textured sweater + and some kind of jacket (e.g. Engineered Garments field jacket, Rocky Mountain Featherbed puffer jacket, or a vintage Lee trucker).

- 5" shorts + long-sleeved, thin merino knits

- RRL cargo fatigues + grey Buzz Rickson sweatshirt + TOJ black lambskin double rider

- Before I sold mine, I used to wear retro runners with Sierra Designs mountain parkas + Fair Isles + five-pocket cords. Free & Easy used to have tons of outfit pics showing this sort of "Rugged Ivy" look.

There are obviously multiple footwear options for all these outfits, but there's nothing wrong with wearing them with sneakers. I like sneakers for long walks, or sometimes when I just want a more comfortable shoe. Or when I want to wear something different. There are some sneakers that are relatively more age-appropriate than others. It would be hard to wear a pair of BAPEs well if you're 40 years old. My impression is that the OP was asking about that element.

you’re welcome to wear whatever you like. But when you ask if something is age appropriate, don’t be surprised if the answers don't align with your notion of casual footwear.

c0de

Reaction score
the swoosh seems really big and high contrast on these , i'd look for something a little less branded personally. janoski models are similar but not quite so *nike*. $.02.

or possibly they offer these without the contrast swoosh

agreed, which is why I got the white version
4E16CCF8-B6D7-4E2E-BDB9-E8BD20A5AEED.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i think that's good, gum sole too

adrianvo

Reaction score
*tips fedora*
Since you're about to lose the argument, don't forget to call the mods to save you so they can delete the posts like last time.

Then proceeding to whine and feel sorry for yourself should do the trick!
:lurk:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since you're about to lose the argument, don't forget to call the mods to save you so they can delete the posts like last time.

Then proceeding to whine and feel sorry for yourself should do the trick!
:lurk:

I didn't call the mods on you. Your posts getting deleted is your own doing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're fascinated to see someone born after 1964 use reaction gifs? I'd be more fascinated to see boomers use them.
Confused-GIF.gif

Yes, reaction gifs are commonly associated with old people. Also, dumb people.

adrianvo

Reaction score
Yes, reaction gifs are commonly associated with old people. Also, dumb people.

Based on the opinion of 'literally who'?

Imagine caring what gen z thinks.

Every post you make looks like the post of a whiny kid. I've begun reading them in the stereotypical voice of a BuzzFeed journalist with questionable testosterone levels.

#gifs4lyfe
8Hf2slI.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics