• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ASW's discussion of WW Chan

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Will, you've been sort of hard on Chan over the past few years...take today's post as an example: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...s-of-sort.html

It seems a combination of damning with faint praise and Western tailoring house chauvinism. In the end, have you been pleased or displeased with your Chan experience?

Good post.

I was thinking the same thing. It's always "lesson learned" or "yeah they're fine for my summer suiting but not my serious ****" etc. etc.

I never know if he's happy with these guys or sort of indifferent.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wish that Chan would somehow work a pen and ink of Charlie Chan into their logo.

That would be cool and would win them several points in my book.

- B

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I wish that Chan would somehow work a pen and ink of Charlie Chan into their logo. That would be cool and would win them several points in my book. - B
CharlieChan1.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck between deciding on Mr Ned or Chan as they are both the same price.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Are you local to either? I think that would be the clincher. If not, I understand that Chan is better quality (especially on handwork and the like).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I got a Mr. Ned about 10-12 years ago, when the dad was still there. It was $700 with the stock fabric, what is he going for now?

For that logo, I suggest spoof on spoof action:

ExplorePAHistory-a0h2g5-a_349.jpg

Speaking of hung, where are my summer Pantas?

- B

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
I'm stuck between deciding on Mr Ned or Chan as they are both the same price.

I've used Mr Ned and will be ordering my first suit from Chan next month. In my opinion, Mr Ned is a complete waste of money. The fit and construction of the jacket I ordered were very poor. Also, the father and son who work there are abrasive/stubborn have no styling sense (e.g. the sleeves came back uber baggy, the jacket was too long, the shoulders way overextended and heavily padded - and of course everything was "how it's supposed to be."). Before I return to Mr Ned I would sooner get OTR from a good brand and get it altered.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I got a Mr. Ned about 10-12 years ago, when the dad was still there. It was $700 with the stock fabric, what is he going for now?

Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Are you local to either? I think that would be the clincher. If not, I understand that Chan is better quality (especially on handwork and the like).

For the H&S fabric I want, it would be $1500 at either Chan or Ned. I like the Chan look but would get more fittings at Ned. I live in NYC.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
For that logo, I suggest spoof on spoof action:

ExplorePAHistory-a0h2g5-a_349.jpg

Speaking of hung, where are my summer Pantas?

- B

"non, non, non monseiur, you did not understand, I did not want a cheap horse"

Pants/ties are in production but we are in the middle of vacation season. End of next week/early the following.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
For the H&S fabric I want, it would be $1500 at either Chan or Ned. I like the Chan look but would get more fittings at Ned. I live in NYC.

if you can step up 500 or so more, you can get NSM here in NYC, you've heard me sing this song before. But, you have to want the napoli thing.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I've used Mr Ned and will be ordering my first suit from Chan next month. In my opinion, Mr Ned is a complete waste of money. The fit and construction of the jacket I ordered were very poor. Also, the father and son who work there are abrasive/stubborn have no styling sense (e.g. the sleeves came back uber baggy, the jacket was too long, the shoulders way overextended and heavily padded - and of course everything was "how it's supposed to be."). Before I return to Mr Ned I would sooner get OTR from a good brand and get it altered.
Pretty scathing review, but I have no reason to believe it's not true. For OTR in NYC, you can get great great stuff from Paul Stuart for just under the $1500 mark and their in-house tailors are super-competent. But, as the OP, I wish to bring us back on-topic. What does Will really think of Chan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads