• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Astor and Black - good suits/shirts? thoughts?

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score
I was reading the GQ magazine and I saw their ads for custom suits. I contacted them and a consultant comes by to do measurements and show you the designs.

Anybody done custom suits, shirts, sweaters with them? Thoughts?
fing02[1].gif

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
My pal is a rep for them and I've looked at the stuff that he has around and some of the stuff that he wears.

My understanding from his is that the suits are fully canvassed and that they will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy. I haven't looked at the shirts up close, but they look nice when he's worn them (trim, fit properly on body and sleeves).

ironmarshal

Reaction score
I'm quite interested in hearing more reviews about them as well. I'm going to be upgrading my wardrobe soon and am debating between going to the Hickey Freeman Factory Store, trying my luck at Filene's Basement or trying the Astor & Black. I like the idea of MTM from Astory & Black, but haven't read many useful reviews from people who have bought from the company.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think other forumers have reviewed them in the past -- I'd do a search to see what comes up...

coltboy75

Reaction score
I am the one who posted the shirt pictures above. This was my first mtm purchase as I am upgrading my shirts and suits based on the useful information found on this forum. I did a search on this forum and on AAAC. I did see the results were negative, but they were for the most part 2-3 years old. I have two co-workers, from different offices that use different sales people from Astor & Black and they have been more then satisfied and have made more then one purchase. I had the benefit of seeing the suits and shirts in person from these co-workers before I made the purchase. I just bought shirts, not suits or sport coats. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me other questions.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I think other forumers have reviewed them in the past -- I'd do a search to see what comes up...

This is what happened in the other review. Hell raised (as usual in the fora), and the guy that was posting as an inside man from A&B deleted all his posts and ended fired. Another guy from A&B PR post the following:

ATTENTION ALL STYLEFORUM USERS:

THE COMMENTS RECENTLY ON THIS THREAD UNDER THE ASTORANDBLACK USER ID WERE POSTED BY AN UNAUTHORIZED EMPLOYEE WHO HAS SINCE BEEN TERMINATED.

THESE COMMENTS WERE NOT APPROVED OR AUTHORIZED BY ASTOR & BLACK CUSTOM CLOTHIERS.

WE SINCERELY APOLOGIZE AND ASSURE YOU THAT WE AS A COMPANY DO NOT CONDONE SUCH BUSINESS PRACTICES

SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION OR CONCERNS OR IF YOU NOTICE ANY OTHER THREADS THAT SEEM OUT OF THE ORDINARY PLEASE CONTACT OUR HOME OFFICE IMMEDIATELY AT 614-857-9000

THANK YOU,

Aria Zelnik
Director of Marketing & Public Relations
[email protected]
Astor & Black Custom Clothiers

Complete history here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=57511

coltboy75

Reaction score
I will do my best to post pictures of the shirts as I wear them.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures (although bad, taken with my BB) of the double button cuff shirt I had made from Astor & Black. Keep in mind this was my first venture into MTM and I made the step up from Jos A. Bank tailored fit shirts. I like the fit, quality of the fabric (Sea Island Cotton) and the MOP buttons. During a visit to Washington DC, I stopped into WM Fox and he commented on the shirt as well made and a great fit.

Jose Mendez

Reaction score
Ok so Im really looking at A&B for some customer made suits. any recent post of how they have been, Im not trying to hear about stuff from 4 yrs ago. We all know companies go through bumps in the road. Also would anyone know how much their suits usually run for???

I just don't want to make an appointment and feel like I have to purchase something. I really dislike that they don't get back to you in a timely manner.

Let me know what you guys think.

BTW has anyone tried LES RICHARDS in CHERRY HILL MALL in NJ?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what you'll get depends much on who at A&B works with you. You may want to give this a read. You'll be dealing w/ aggressive salespeople who've received a 4-day training experience at "A&B University" - haberdashers they now be. For them selling clothes is no different from selling insurance or Amway or time-share condos. ABC. Always be closing.

Who is their customer? They're keen on conventions and setting up booths at bar association and chamber of commerce meetings. I betcha they're upselling the Men's Warehouse crowd at the Shriner's Lodge. Impulse buying; who can't resist the lure of an NFL cornerback's endorsement?

Check out one of the A&B "haberdasher's" websites. He obviously devoted thought, time and money putting together a nice presence.

Oops, no he didn't. He spent some money on ONE nice looking homepage and rest of his blog is an aesthetic and grammatical disaster. You're seeking this guy's advice on the "cult of style"? I ain't drinkin' that cool-aid. What's the emphasis? Surgeon's sleeves. Linings. Up-turned collars to show off sartorial flair. All gimmicks.

Absolutely! Set them aflame!

Lastly, the Astor and Black name itself is phoney baloney. All pretense. If Schottenstein isn't comfortable in his own name I doubt I'd be comfortable in his clothes.

Last edited:

Benjamin E.

Reaction score

Ok so Im really looking at A&B for some customer made suits. any recent post of how they have been, Im not trying to hear about stuff from 4 yrs ago. We all know companies go through bumps in the road. Also would anyone know how much their suits usually run for???
Suits start at $500 but that can escalate based on fabric. Gladson starts at $940 or so. They have access to some nice high-end mills (Scabal, Dormeuil, etc.). I have a suit on order from them that's due in a few weeks; I'll post about it when it comes in.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads