• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Astor and Black Bankrupt

Sean McKee

Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astor & Black’s five largest creditors are:
Colorado Department of Revenue, $136,552
Louisiana Department of Revenue, $118,442
North Carolina Department of Revenue, $68,409
BMW Bank of North America, $67,000
Missouri Department of Revenue, $42,824

All creditors are unsecured except BMW Bank.

Looks like someone will be getting a new ride.

Sean McKee

Reaction score
It's been a couple years. He still had a seat on the board I understand.

MisterFu

Reaction score
Interesting. Based on all the info and pics from OTCTailor, towards the end, it looks like they were making a pretty decent product after they had been taken over by professional management. Also appears that in the early days they were a pretty sketchy and poorly managed operation that survived on rapid sales growth and slick sales presentation. With slick marketing and a good pitch, rapid revenue growth would have made them an easy sell to the less sophisticated private equity operations out there, of which there are many. Once the PE guys put in some professional management, the mess of quality and customer sat. issues became apparent and I guess the margins collapsed as they attempted to improve the product and customer sat.

MisterFu

Reaction score
The Astor and Black thread gets good around post 14.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/40508/a-visit-to-astor-black/0_50#post_1715469

The rep releases the customer's name (since redacted) and order after he criticizes the company.

As another poster mentions in the thread, it was only a matter of time

At the core was a business model that was fundamentally unsustainable as described (though not as initially operated by the founder). Put simply, once the new management tried to actually deliver on the promise of a high-quality product and actual MTM-level customer service, the margins evaporated and the business proved unsustainable.

I gotta say though, the whole outing of the dissatisfied customer was truly an outstanding moment (my jaw hit the floor when I read that part of the thread).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%