1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Asthma and cigarette smoke?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vito, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Vito

Vito Senior member

Hey.

Anybody know anybody who has asthma attacks apparently triggered by exposure to secondhand cigarette smoke?

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Yes. It is also a risk factor for children to develop asthma when they are exposed to second hand smoke.

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I've had a pretty big problem with this. Most of my friends are artsy motherfuckers who chainsmoke. I hate to admit it but smoking bans in dc and baltimore clubs have been really great for me.

4. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Ive had asthma pretty bad my entire life but cigarette smoke never really effected me. My grandpa smoked packs a day around me when I stayed at his house and it never made me sick. Shoot I go to the hookah bar and do tha hookah and nothing happens.

5. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Ive had asthma pretty bad my entire life but cigarette smoke never really effected me. My grandpa smoked packs a day around me when I stayed at his house and it never made me sick. Shoot I go to the hookah bar and do tha hookah and nothing happens.

I've never had a straightup attack jsut from smoke but i end up feeling pretty shitty. On the few dumbass occasions where I've smoked hookah I feel really shitty the next day.

6. Vito

Vito Senior member

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I posted this thread because I mentioned this problem -- asthma attacks triggered by exposure to cigarette smoke -- at a barbecue I attended yesterday. I didn't make a big deal about it, I only mentioned that I know three people who claim that secondhand smoke has caused them to have severe asthmatic reactions. Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter. I can't understand their harsh response, because a quick Google search shows that secondhand smoke can and does trigger these kind of asthma problems.

Thanks again -- I'm looking forward to reading anyone else's input.

7. illumin8em

illumin8em Senior member

it has happened to me more often over the past few yeas. I didn't develop asthma but a few years back as well, but being around people smoking does tend to make me hate life. This problem is easily remedied by simply leaving the area, but i always try and tough it out for as long as I can only to completely regret the decision. I have actually began to not try and tough out the occasions for the past few months, and have been very pleased.

"boot to the cools!"

8. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter.

Tell them they fail at their job.

Any medical textbook or reputable website e.g. Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. will explain that they're wrong.

9. Vito

Vito Senior member

Tell them they fail at their job.

Any medical textbook or reputable website e.g. Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. will explain that they're wrong.

They both admitted that cigarette smoking can be "annoying" to some people, but they said they've never witnessed any kind of serious asthma problem created by secondhand smoke. I can't understand why they were so skeptical about it.

10. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Well there are two potential explanations as I see it.

1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association.

2. They're idiots.

11. Vito

Vito Senior member

Well there are two potential explanations as I see it.

1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association.

2. They're idiots.

I think you're correct, on both counts. [​IMG]

12. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

I have asthma.

I smoke.

FML.

13. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it.

I hope the guys you were talking to knew how to treat asthma even if they had no clue what can trigger it.

14. Vito

Vito Senior member

I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it.
    Part of my reason for starting this thread is because my own reaction to secondhand cig smoke has got worse as I've got older -- sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, and occasional nosebleeds -- and I'm afraid that it will soon develop into serious asthma/respiratory problems. I hope not.

15. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I'm not sure if its just you become more careful in general as you get older, I used to work in a really smokey bar and just took extra medication if my asthma got bad - not my attitude now.

16. Vito

Vito Senior member

I'm not sure if its just you become more careful in general as you get older, I used to work in a really smokey bar and just took extra medication if my asthma got bad - not my attitude now.
    Yes, I've found that it's important to just avoid situations in which cigarette smoke might be a problem -- certain outdoor public places, parties, etc. My health is too important, so I don't care if I have to miss out on some social occasions.

17. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

18. Vito

Vito Senior member

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I posted this thread because I mentioned this problem -- asthma attacks triggered by exposure to cigarette smoke -- at a barbecue I attended yesterday. I didn't make a big deal about it, I only mentioned that I know three people who claim that secondhand smoke has caused them to have severe asthmatic reactions. Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter. I can't understand their harsh response, because a quick Google search shows that secondhand smoke can and does trigger these kind of asthma problems.

Thanks again -- I'm looking forward to reading anyone else's input.

im sure they are smokers themselves. smokers always tend to be out on the defensive and act out self entitled.

20. Vito

Vito Senior member

im sure they are smokers themselves. smokers always tend to be out on the defensive and act out self entitled.
    I suspected that at least one of them was a smoker, but I'm not sure.

And I agree -- smokers almost always become defensive about their habit. Most of 'em completely scoff at the many related risk factors, especially regarding secondhand smoke.