• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asthma and cigarette smoke?

Vito

Reaction score
Hey.

Anybody know anybody who has asthma attacks apparently triggered by exposure to secondhand cigarette smoke?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It is also a risk factor for children to develop asthma when they are exposed to second hand smoke.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a pretty big problem with this. Most of my friends are artsy motherfuckers who chainsmoke. I hate to admit it but smoking bans in dc and baltimore clubs have been really great for me.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive had asthma pretty bad my entire life but cigarette smoke never really effected me. My grandpa smoked packs a day around me when I stayed at his house and it never made me sick. Shoot I go to the hookah bar and do tha hookah and nothing happens.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Ive had asthma pretty bad my entire life but cigarette smoke never really effected me. My grandpa smoked packs a day around me when I stayed at his house and it never made me sick. Shoot I go to the hookah bar and do tha hookah and nothing happens.

I've never had a straightup attack jsut from smoke but i end up feeling pretty ******. On the few dumbass occasions where I've smoked hookah I feel really ****** the next day.

Vito

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I posted this thread because I mentioned this problem -- asthma attacks triggered by exposure to cigarette smoke -- at a barbecue I attended yesterday. I didn't make a big deal about it, I only mentioned that I know three people who claim that secondhand smoke has caused them to have severe asthmatic reactions. Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter. I can't understand their harsh response, because a quick Google search shows that secondhand smoke can and does trigger these kind of asthma problems.

Thanks again -- I'm looking forward to reading anyone else's input.

illumin8em

Reaction score
it has happened to me more often over the past few yeas. I didn't develop asthma but a few years back as well, but being around people smoking does tend to make me hate life. This problem is easily remedied by simply leaving the area, but i always try and tough it out for as long as I can only to completely regret the decision. I have actually began to not try and tough out the occasions for the past few months, and have been very pleased.

"boot to the cools!"

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter.

Tell them they fail at their job.

Any medical textbook or reputable website e.g. Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. will explain that they're wrong.

Vito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Tell them they fail at their job.

Any medical textbook or reputable website e.g. Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. will explain that they're wrong.

They both admitted that cigarette smoking can be "annoying" to some people, but they said they've never witnessed any kind of serious asthma problem created by secondhand smoke. I can't understand why they were so skeptical about it.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well there are two potential explanations as I see it.

1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association.

2. They're idiots.

Vito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Well there are two potential explanations as I see it.

1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association.

2. They're idiots.

I think you're correct, on both counts.
laugh.gif

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it.

I hope the guys you were talking to knew how to treat asthma even if they had no clue what can trigger it.

Vito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it.
Part of my reason for starting this thread is because my own reaction to secondhand cig smoke has got worse as I've got older -- sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, and occasional nosebleeds -- and I'm afraid that it will soon develop into serious asthma/respiratory problems. I hope not.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if its just you become more careful in general as you get older, I used to work in a really smokey bar and just took extra medication if my asthma got bad - not my attitude now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads