• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Assistance matching gingham shirt, tie and dress (rocket scientists needed!)

Benjols

Reaction score
So after the gingham thing, your new idea is a white shirt with a black collar and a gold paisley tie? Just...wow.
biggrin.gif

I apologize if my ideas are offending you in any way! I'm just thinking out loud.

I feel like a white shirt will look boring though. Will a black suit, gold tie (I do like paisley regardless), and plain white shirt look too simple? Also would an off-white shirt be a better option if her dress is mostly off-white?

You don't have to match. If the matching is too obvious, it looks tacky. If it's subtle and done well, whatever, but subtlety in dress is something guys your age usually fail at, no offense. I was one of 'em.
You could also wear wear a checked shirt, if you like gingham. Wider, more open lines, but still an interesting pattern. You could also wear a striped shirt.
And dear lord, no contrast collar shirts. Subtle patterns with white collars are at least bearable, but a black collar on a white shirt would be trashy as hell.

I like gingham a bit more than checked for prom, but I would love checked too. Of course, I see myself running into similar problems with a checked pattern.

I'm open to any suggestions towards subtlety. Also, definitely not looking to perfect match her, but I do want to at least have some matching so it looks like we're dates. A happy medium.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Offending? Au contraire, this has been very entertaining!

The disconnect here is that you think white shirts are too boring. That's a bit odd, because white is the most popular shirt colour in the entire world, and while lots of people on here prefer light blue for everyday business wear, a plain white shirt is really the only choice for a night time formal event.

Here's how it breaks down for me at least:
* For weekday business dress: usually a light blue shirt; sometimes light pink; sometimes plain white.
* For formal dress, day or night (a wedding for example): a plain white shirt.
* For casual Fridays, weekends etc: gingham; stripes; colours, go nuts.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you think dinner suits (tuxedos) are boring? A well fitted tux with appropriate accessories is arguably the best a man can look and it's only black and white.

I like gingham shirts but they are much more appropriate for daytime wear, informal business, etc. NOT for something more formal in the evening. Make sure your suit fits well. Go with the white shirt (or off white - ecru - if you must). A subtle patterned tie will work with all of this and here is where you can match a colour to your date's outfit if you really must, or with a carefully chosen pocket square that marches her. You can always go with a plain white PS to match your shirt but do not match your tie and PS.
You will thank us for this guidance not only on your big night, but years from now when you are viewing your photos wih your kids, and laughing at all the wankers who eschewed this kind of choice in favour of some 'trendy' pizza vomit explosion outfit.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah Ianiceman, cummerbunds -- what were we thinking!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm open to any suggestions towards subtlety. Also, definitely not looking to perfect match her, but I do want to at least have some matching so it looks like we're dates. A happy medium.

This is exactly what you don't want. When two grownups go out on a date they don't work out ahead of time what colors to wear. People will know you're each other's date if you're dancing together and talking to each other for most of the night. When you're matching it looks like you're twin brother and sister and your mother has dolled you up for your big brother's wedding photos. Just looks silly IMHO.

Benjols

Reaction score
I thought about quoting you all, but it'd be an ordeal...so anyway

You've convinced me on the white shirt. I'll gladly take your advice on this one. Thank you for saving me from the contrast collar and whatnot.

So, if I have a black suit, white shirt, what time do I go with? Gold seems a little pale by itself. I do rather like the striped "frat boy" tie I linked to earlier that was black and gold. That way I have some sort of connection to her dress. Anything other tie suggestions? I don't know too much about ties. I'm not a big fan of just blah, though.

I definitely agree that over matching looks dumb, but I feel like something should be there so we look like prom dates. Otherwise I'd probably just wear a pink gingham shirt or something!

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
You'll soon learn that the best a man can dress is in a way that passes attention to his date. Like was said before, it will be clear that she is your date through your actions. No need to make that apparent through the way you dress. Go for Spoo's idea of the gingham tie - perhaps in a navy and white. Make sure its a small-print ginham, though.

The black, white, and navy will all complement her dress well, and pass the attention on to her. She'll appreciate this, and you will too
mwink[1].gif

Parterre

Reaction score

Match with a golden carnation.

[/thread]

Last edited:

Benjols

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help! Especially with ideas that, in retrospect, were awful. I really appreciate it.

I think I've settled on black suit, white shirt and a burgundy/maroonish/pupleish paisley that has gold accents on the paisley.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you all for the help! Especially with ideas that, in retrospect, were awful. I really appreciate it.

I think I've settled on black suit, white shirt and a burgundy/maroonish/pupleish paisley that has gold accents on the paisley.

lulz for abandoning gingham for paisley, but its prom, so after 2 drinks, nobody is going to care about your tie, all you will care about is getting to the hotel room and and getting that gingham dress off.

Parterre

Reaction score

That sounds pretty nice.

lulz for abandoning gingham for paisley, but its prom, so after 2 drinks, nobody is going to care about your tie, all you will care about is getting to the hotel room and and getting that gingham dress off.

We're talking highschoolers here, sir.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sounds pretty nice.

We're talking highschoolers here, sir.

You must have gone to a different High School. Mine was like Spoo describes, only 2 six packs, not 2 drinks.

Benjols

Reaction score

What's wrong with a paisley tie? I totally dig the paisley.

...I could only dream of her wearing a gingham dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads