• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asprey briefcase or Swaine Adeney Brigg briefcase?

Reaction score
So previously I was planning to purchase a leather briefcase. I know that SAB was one of the best briefcase makers around, but I also heard about Asprey briefcase being of comparable or even higher quality than SAB ones. Does anyone in this forum own both products by any chance? If so, would you like to kindly give me some advices on which one I should go with? Many thanks

Leander walker

Reaction score
Swaine Adeney or Ettinger you can't go wrong either way. In September,Simpsons,one of the finest traditional English briefcase makers went out of business. A real shame. When you buy an English bridle leather briefcase you are making an investment in something wonderful that will last your lifetime. A backpack or .essence bag carry no substance in the business world. The 3 best styles are the lid-over-body attache case,the top frame,and the flap over with straps that buckle. There is just nothing like these briefcases. It is important to support these English companies making these because one day they won't exist if they are not appreciated.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite the necrobump, but FWIW: I was quite sure SAB and Asprey were made by the same maker, ie Papworth/SAB.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Asprey used to have their own workshop in their london store and additionally their briefcases were made by tanner krolle. They switched to manufacturing in Italy a number of years ago and now the briefcases are advertised as using English leather so perhaps they are again manufacturing in the UK. Or sending the English leather to Italy or someplace for manufacture. Swaine Adeney bought Papworth a number of years ago to market it as a slightly lower priced,machine stitched alternative to the flagship brand

Leander walker

Reaction score
I was happy to see Tanner Krolle is back in business but alas,their cases are made in Italy now

Leander walker

Reaction score
Tanner Krolle,Asprey,Dunhill and Smythson all trumpet their British pedigree but make all their leather goods in Italy. Swaine,Ettinger,Rutherfords,Cambridge satchel,leather satchel co,tusting,Foster and Sons and Pickett make all their briefcases,luggage and other leather goods in England. So important to support traditional British leather manufacturing. Recently Whitehouse Cox,Equus and Danes and Hathaway have closed down. So many brilliant companies are gone we will be approaching a world of nylon backpacks,garrish briefcases festooned with logos and a plethora of made in china junk. Tragic,indeed

vegancrabcakes

Reaction score
Tanner Krolle,Asprey,Dunhill and Smythson all trumpet their British pedigree but make all their leather goods in Italy. Swaine,Ettinger,Rutherfords,Cambridge satchel,leather satchel co,tusting,Foster and Sons and Pickett make all their briefcases,luggage and other leather goods in England. So important to support traditional British leather manufacturing. Recently Whitehouse Cox,Equus and Danes and Hathaway have closed down. So many brilliant companies are gone we will be approaching a world of nylon backpacks,garrish briefcases festooned with logos and a plethora of made in china junk. Tragic,indeed

Also, is it just me, or is Tanner Krolle quite overpriced? Last time I looked at some of their canvas briefcases and duffel bags on their website, they were priced at £2000+ (edit: £2500+). Hard to justify even for a menswear enthusiast...

Last edited:

Leander walker

Reaction score
Yes they are expensive but the problem is that they tout their great British pedigree and now make the products in Italy. Tanner Kroll had a tremendous business for many years and was one of the finest of British briefcase and luggage companies in addition to small leather goods. They even made the Peal bridle leather cases for Brooks Brothers until Brooks went to Swaine Adeney. But the Tanner Kroll business closed and the name has been sold several times to different people who vowed to return the brand to its former glory. As far as pricei, I would imagine Tanner Kroll makes a good product if they're asking high prices , but unfortunately it's not the same Tanner Kroll as years agom. I would hope they wouldn't want to sully a name they are ostensibly trying to resurrect

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics