• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aspirin

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Does anyone take daily supplements of low-dose aspirin? It is supposed to be very beneficial to your health. On that note, are you supposed to keep high-dose aspirin in first-aid kits to help with heart attacks?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Does anyone take daily supplements of low-dose aspirin? It is supposed to be very beneficial to your health. On that note, are you supposed to keep high-dose aspirin in first-aid kits to help with heart attacks?

Not only can aspirin cause gastrointestinal dilemma, there are other potential problems that one should be aware of. Some of the problems are unlikely in most people, however, a little education about the problems won't hurt you. In an article about Full Spectrum Light and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Joseph G. Hattersley wrote:

"The cells in the retinas of your eyes will not divide and regenerate without a small amount of ultraviolet light. And so full-spectrum light reduces the risk of retinal degeneration, the leading cause of blindness among the elderly. Retinal haemorrhage, the most severe phase of the condition, can also result from long-term use of aspirin. (A prominent ophthalmologist declared the outcome "unlikely"; however, an exhaustive computer literature search by Kirk Hamilton, PA-C, publisher of Clinical Pearls News, found no refutation of the finding.) White willow bark provides the same benefits as aspirin without stomach irritation or blindness, as do three glasses daily of purple grape juice. And unlike aspirin, the flavonoids in purple grape juice remain effective when adrenaline levels rise. Two 400-milligram capsules of white willow bark are equivalent to one baby aspirin. Eating a lot of dark-green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and Brussels sprouts also helps avoid this condition."

Source: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/light.html

More:
http://www.gi.org/patients/women/asprin.asp
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...f-aspirin.html

My bold in the quotation.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find some info I read about taking aspirin / tylenol / etc over pro-longed periods. Only thing I remember is DONT.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I am trying to find some info I read about taking aspirin / tylenol / etc over pro-longed periods. Only thing I remember is DONT.

Use the link I provided above (http://www.gi.org/patients/women/asprin.asp) for some remarks from The American College of Gastroenterology.

Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. Long-term regular usage can cause problems with your stomach lining. It is generally effective and quite inexpensive. It is possible to overdose and die with aspirin. See my remarks above regarding willow bark.

Tylenol is Acetaminophen. It is much easier on your stomach lining than Naproxen, Aspirin, or Ketoprofen. Many physicians believe it is safer than most other Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) taken on a regular basis for maladies such as Osteo Arthritis. It can still cause stomach and liver problems. So, beware!

Aleve is a Naproxen. Naproxen is a NSAID similar to Tylenol. Vioxx is the most infamous naproxen. I used it briefly to relieve joint pain from an injury. The stuff really worked fast and quite well.

Motrin and Advil are Ibuprofens. Ibuprofen is still another NSAID.

Ketoprofen is one more NSAID. I don't recall the brand names under which it is marketed.

Celebrex is a Cox-2 Inhibitor that has been shown to relieve the pain of Osteo-Arthritis better than traditional NSAIDs. However, there are side effects. Don't give up on Cox-2 inhibitors. Certain herbs contain Cox-2 inhibitors that work just as well as prescription agents but NO side effects. Ginger happens to be one of them. Tumeric is another. A company called New Chapter puts together an herbal Cox-2 inhibitor product called ZYFLAMEND. This product contains the best-known herbal Cox-2 inhibitors in their proper dosages and potencies.

Just be careful about regular usage of any of these compounds! I am not the physician in our family. Mrs. FC is an M.D. endocrinologist. So, this topic is not her area of practice.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Thanks again Full Canvas. You make everything more complicated but I am thankful. Nothing OTC seems as safe as these natural supplements. I checked out this source out for white willow. Does it seem accurate?

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Printab...5,4111,00.html

Health is truly complex. The information on your link is probably as accurate as possible. Everyone is different in his or her reaction to any ingested substances. All you can do is experiment with caution. Willow bark is usually quite safe.

I am not the doctor in our family. Mrs. FC is an endocrinologist. That does not qualify her to comment. I am no more qualified to make any comments. My profession is finance. In actuality, I am responsible for money that my corporation lends to people or other corporations.

Ultimately, it is my opinion that genetic predisposition is the major factor for all of us. No amount of exercise, proper diet, or anything else can dramatically offset what our genes dictate for us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads