Asparagus!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Dec 20, 2007.

1. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I have done an interesting recipe from a Belgian cookbook I have - you cook it and then make a "dip" of sorts with boiled eggs, lemon juice etc. It is actually quite good, especially if the asparagus itself is decent. I also like white asparagus soup, although a recipe I once used that called for buttermilk instead of cream made it too sour for my tastes [​IMG]

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Haha...no. Don't want to try either. The problem with dipping bacon-wrapped asparagus in a batter is that after you fried it, the batter would be cooked, but the bacon on the inside would still be raw.

Damn you're right. Good point.... It'll just have to be bacon-wrapped minus the batter.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I dig asparagus, but hate the after-smell. I don't know what the guy was talking about but the thicker asparagus is usually stringy and disgusting.

If you like asparagus, also try "Chinese broccoli" (Gai Lan/Kai-Lan):

[​IMG]

Somewhat different, it's kind of like a broccoli stalk (but better tasting than those) with a cabbagey leaf, but it can be used in asparagus-like situations. A hot stir fry then steam will do it, top with oyster sauce. Tasty and full of minerals.

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

I dig asparagus, but hate the after-smell. I don't know what the guy was talking about but the thicker asparagus is usually stringy and disgusting. If you like asparagus, also try "Chinese broccoli" (Gai Lan/Kai-Lan): [​IMG] Somewhat different, it's kind of like a broccoli stalk (but better tasting than those) with a cabbagey leaf, but it can be used in asparagus-like situations. A hot stir fry then steam will do it, top with oyster sauce. Tasty and full of minerals.
    Love this stuff. I also make it the same way. For an added kick, I sometimes stir fry in beforehand lots of garlic, chopped dried shrimps, and pepper flakes; then a bit of shaoxing rice wine, then gai lan.

5. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Sometimes I make an olive oil and orange dressing for steamed asparagus, then sprinkle on some chopped roasted hazelnuts.

And how about asparagus and truffles or truffle oil--truly one of the great flavor combinations!

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sometimes I make an olive oil and orange dressing for steamed asparagus, then sprinkle on some chopped roasted hazelnuts.

And how about asparagus and truffles or truffle oil--truly one of the great flavor combinations!

How do you make this orange dressing? Mix in orange zest with olive oil?

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Grilled (with oil) and served with a reduced balsamic vinegar/orange juice sauce.

8. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

asparagus makes your pee stink.

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

[​IMG]

Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. It's crunchy, juicy, easy to cook, and has great flavors. What's not to like?

So, I've got insomnia, and since my semester is over for me, I'm indulging in all the late-night TV shows. I'm watching a show about some Asparagus Festival in Stockton, CA. The host guy says that the bigger the asparagus, the more tender it is--while holding up one about 1" in diameter (I can't ever find something that big locally). In any case, my experience says that the bigger the asparagus is, the older it is. Thus, it's more likely that the skin be stringy and chewy. What say ye?

I don't like asparagus and have only given it a try 2x.

Stockton has the Asparagus festival and may be well known for the crop; but, their quality is pretty shitty and on par with the stuff that comes out of Mexico and S. America.
    The central coast has one of the best climates for it.

Bigger does not equal tender...in fact, most people use the "Jumbos" and "XLs" only for soups or other products that have asparagus in them as an ingrident. Restaurants and consumer typically prefer the pencil sized grass because it is usually more tender and you can put several stalks out instead of one huge spear.

Bigger does not equal older. Asparagus is harvested almost every other day and it really just depends on how big the fern germinated when it was first planted.

10. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Restaurants and consumer typically prefer the pencil sized grass because it is usually more tender and you can put several stalks out instead of one huge spear.

Smaller stalks can't stand up to high heat roasting so I go for sharpie-size.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Thicker Asparagus has thicker skin. When cooking asparagus, you should use a vegetable peeler to take the skin off.

If you keep kosher, you might want to hire a mohel (for the Jews out there).

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Grilled Asparagus

Marinate in Newman's Own Balsamic Salad Dressing
    Get your BBQ grill nice and hot
    let grill for a few minutes until you have slight blackened marks
    Dunk once again in the marinade then serve

For a variation, serve with shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano on top.

This is especially good with steak!

14. i6or

i6or Well-Known Member

asparagus!!! AND pocketsquare just said STEAK!!!
    there's nothing better, with some mashed baby squash!!!

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

asparagus!!! AND pocketsquare just said STEAK!!!
    there's nothing better, with some mashed baby squash!!!

Oh GOD YEAH! Seriously Asparagus and Steak..... that seriously is unbeatable.... unless of course you somehow add bacon in there....