Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

AskMen Survey on # of Shoes you Own

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ct2272, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

AskMen.com is running a series of surveys based on their demographic which I am assuming is the 18-34 male.

One of their questions/answers were:

How many pairs of shoes do you own?
    26% - 1 to 3
    47% - 4 to 6
    19% - 7 to 10
    8% - 11+

How is the majority 47% even possible? Without dress shoes, I total 4 (golf shoes, sandals, cross trainers, running shoes). Adding my dress shoes brings me to 8.

Regards,
    CT

2. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

It is bizarre. I guess we can conclude that not the same crowd frequents both websites.

I am happily residing in the 8%. I think I have about 20. Too many casual though and not enough dress.

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I think it wouldn't be hard to pull off. I have about 8-9 pairs of shoes, but only wear 2-3 regularly (sneakers, boots, sandals). It helps that I'm still in school and don't have any professional dress obligations, but since I'm not a big shoe guy I don't see how it would be too hard to live off 3-4 pairs. Your average early 20's, entry-level professional could probably get by with 1 pair of black dress shoes, 1 pair of brown, 1 pair of sneakers/athletic shoes, and maybe a fourth pair of some other type of shoe or sandals.

4. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

True. The majority of guys my age I know get by with:

1. One pair of clunky square-toed black bluchers
    2. One pair of casual Bass-type brown bluchers
    3. One pair of New Balances/Nikes, and maybe a pair of Pumas
    4. A couple pairs of flip-flops

The more metrosexual/American Jackass types might have more pairs of trainers and black lace-ups, and possibly a pair of boots. So it's easy to keep their total shoes under seven.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am careful to keep my dress shoes to 3 pair. I have sandals, sneakers, and I just bought a pair of snow shoes (that isn't accurate, but they are sort of like warm sneakers, I don't need boots, but they are sort of like short boots). I used to have about a dozen pair of dress shoes, and a half dozen assorted others. but I like it better this way. in a few months I intend to buy 2 new pairs of dress shoes, and some very lucky homeless guy with short stumpy feet might be in for some nice handmade boxcalves.

6. larsd4

larsd4 New Member

I have about 30 pair, of which I use probably 15 at least once per week. I've got a bad ankle, which makes walking occasionally uncomfortable, leading me on a constant search for the perfect shoe, but I suspect some deeper psychological urge is behind the collection. I love great shoes. I think of shoes like a craftsman thinks of tools. Every different activity requires a different pair. Running, lifting weights, hiking, going to work, church, stadium, party, pub. You name it, I have my favorite pair. I buy good shoes and take extra care of them. Many of them are 5-8 years old. I would seek professional help but at $125 per hour, I could get by better by buying 2 pair per week [​IMG]

7. demeis

demeis Senior member

This made me just go count my shoes and well there are a lot more than i thought, i'm at about 26 paris right now.

12 sneakers/casual shoes
    4 boots (casual)
    5 (dress)
    3 (sandles)
    2 (athletic (I.E. Indoor soccer shoes)

I only wear about 3 pairs of sneakers regularly, the boots i keep in roation and the dress i wear when i have to work.