AskMen Survey on # of Shoes you Own

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ct2272, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

AskMen.com is running a series of surveys based on their demographic which I am assuming is the 18-34 male.

One of their questions/answers were:

How many pairs of shoes do you own?
    26% - 1 to 3
    47% - 4 to 6
    19% - 7 to 10
    8% - 11+

How is the majority 47% even possible? Without dress shoes, I total 4 (golf shoes, sandals, cross trainers, running shoes). Adding my dress shoes brings me to 8.

Regards,
    CT

2. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

It is bizarre. I guess we can conclude that not the same crowd frequents both websites.

I am happily residing in the 8%. I think I have about 20. Too many casual though and not enough dress.

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I think it wouldn't be hard to pull off. I have about 8-9 pairs of shoes, but only wear 2-3 regularly (sneakers, boots, sandals). It helps that I'm still in school and don't have any professional dress obligations, but since I'm not a big shoe guy I don't see how it would be too hard to live off 3-4 pairs. Your average early 20's, entry-level professional could probably get by with 1 pair of black dress shoes, 1 pair of brown, 1 pair of sneakers/athletic shoes, and maybe a fourth pair of some other type of shoe or sandals.

4. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

True. The majority of guys my age I know get by with:

1. One pair of clunky square-toed black bluchers
    2. One pair of casual Bass-type brown bluchers
    3. One pair of New Balances/Nikes, and maybe a pair of Pumas
    4. A couple pairs of flip-flops

The more metrosexual/American Jackass types might have more pairs of trainers and black lace-ups, and possibly a pair of boots. So it's easy to keep their total shoes under seven.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am careful to keep my dress shoes to 3 pair. I have sandals, sneakers, and I just bought a pair of snow shoes (that isn't accurate, but they are sort of like warm sneakers, I don't need boots, but they are sort of like short boots). I used to have about a dozen pair of dress shoes, and a half dozen assorted others. but I like it better this way. in a few months I intend to buy 2 new pairs of dress shoes, and some very lucky homeless guy with short stumpy feet might be in for some nice handmade boxcalves.

6. larsd4

larsd4 New Member

I have about 30 pair, of which I use probably 15 at least once per week. I've got a bad ankle, which makes walking occasionally uncomfortable, leading me on a constant search for the perfect shoe, but I suspect some deeper psychological urge is behind the collection. I love great shoes. I think of shoes like a craftsman thinks of tools. Every different activity requires a different pair. Running, lifting weights, hiking, going to work, church, stadium, party, pub. You name it, I have my favorite pair. I buy good shoes and take extra care of them. Many of them are 5-8 years old. I would seek professional help but at $125 per hour, I could get by better by buying 2 pair per week [​IMG]

7. demeis

demeis Senior member

This made me just go count my shoes and well there are a lot more than i thought, i'm at about 26 paris right now.

12 sneakers/casual shoes
    4 boots (casual)
    5 (dress)
    3 (sandles)
    2 (athletic (I.E. Indoor soccer shoes)

I only wear about 3 pairs of sneakers regularly, the boots i keep in roation and the dress i wear when i have to work.