• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asking seller to pay shipping for shoes sent in wrong size

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of discount Lobbs from one of our usual Northampton suspects but it turned out to be the wrong size. He failed to state that they were "D" width so no wonder they were too tight. I requested a refund from the seller with no hard feelings, but I also requested that the seller pay for shipping to return the shoes as it was clearly his mistake.

The sale was done over e-mail and Paypal and I have no protection whatsoever. Anyone have advice on how to make sure the seller sticks to a promise to pay for return shipping after I send the shoes? I already lose money because the credit card will charge currency conversion again to process a refund.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, what size? JL 9D fits me like a dream. Pics??
devil.gif
And was the wrong width listed when you bought?

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I bought a pair of discount Lobbs from one of our usual Northampton suspects but it turned out to be the wrong size. He failed to state that they were "D" width so no wonder they were too tight. I requested a refund from the seller with no hard feelings, but I also requested that the seller pay for shipping to return the shoes as it was clearly his mistake.

The sale was done over e-mail and Paypal and I have no protection whatsoever. Anyone have advice on how to make sure the seller sticks to a promise to pay for return shipping after I send the shoes? I already lose money because the credit card will charge currency conversion again to process a refund.

sorry for the derail, but who sells discounted lobbs? Thanks.

-LR

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
sorry for the derail, but who sells discounted lobbs? Thanks.

-LR

Several on B&S buy at the Northhampton outlet and resell here.

mfrege

Reaction score
He failed to state that they were "D" width so no wonder they were too tight.

I'm assuming that he stated that they were another width than "D"? Because failing to state a D width by stating no width at all is not a fail.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Well I'd say you learned a good and not real costly lesson, about buying sh#t over the internet, that you didn't try on before buying. For the life of me, I don't understand buying something you can't see - touch - and try on, before laying out the green.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfrege
I'm assuming that he stated that they were another width than "D"? Because failing to state a D width by stating no width at all is not a fail.

x one billion. This is the key fact that OP has not yet revealed to us.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

isn't "D" width the default width of shoes?
sounds like you forgot to ask about something that's very important if you have wider than average feet
caveat emptor

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
isn't "D" width the default width of shoes?
sounds like you forgot to ask about something that's very important if you have wider than average feet
caveat emptor

Even if it is the default, if it wasn't specified, I definitely would've asked. Unless he says otherwise, I'm gonna say OP made a mistake of not getting specifics.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
Well I'd say you learned a good and not real costly lesson, about buying sh#t over the internet, that you didn't try on before buying. For the life of me, I don't understand buying something you can't see - touch - and try on, before laying out the green.

-1. Then you should probably stop visiting this forum.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have no protection other than his word. If you don't trust him, you shouldn't have done business with him. If they were an unusual width, the seller should have specified. Most online stores state that they will refund the original shipping if they sent the wrong item or omitted critical info like size - ideally he should do this, but you will still be out the cost of return shipping.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You certainly could request the seller to bear the cost of return shipping and it should also help to ensure that the seller lists them accurately the next time. I hope you didn't buy them from Ascot.

Alternatively, you could try reselling them here and communicating this intention to the seller so you get some form of kickbacks, which might work out to be cheaper for the seller too. Either way, i still forsee you are going to be taking a hit, however small, from misc. charges and conversion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads