1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Asking seller to pay shipping for shoes sent in wrong size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Jan 3, 2011.

1. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of discount Lobbs from one of our usual Northampton suspects but it turned out to be the wrong size. He failed to state that they were "D" width so no wonder they were too tight. I requested a refund from the seller with no hard feelings, but I also requested that the seller pay for shipping to return the shoes as it was clearly his mistake.

The sale was done over e-mail and Paypal and I have no protection whatsoever. Anyone have advice on how to make sure the seller sticks to a promise to pay for return shipping after I send the shoes? I already lose money because the credit card will charge currency conversion again to process a refund.

2. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Hmmm, what size? JL 9D fits me like a dream. Pics?? [​IMG] And was the wrong width listed when you bought?

3. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of discount Lobbs from one of our usual Northampton suspects but it turned out to be the wrong size. He failed to state that they were "D" width so no wonder they were too tight. I requested a refund from the seller with no hard feelings, but I also requested that the seller pay for shipping to return the shoes as it was clearly his mistake.

The sale was done over e-mail and Paypal and I have no protection whatsoever. Anyone have advice on how to make sure the seller sticks to a promise to pay for return shipping after I send the shoes? I already lose money because the credit card will charge currency conversion again to process a refund.

sorry for the derail, but who sells discounted lobbs? Thanks.

-LR

4. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

sorry for the derail, but who sells discounted lobbs? Thanks.

-LR

Several on B&S buy at the Northhampton outlet and resell here.

5. mfrege

mfrege Well-Known Member

He failed to state that they were "D" width so no wonder they were too tight.

I'm assuming that he stated that they were another width than "D"? Because failing to state a D width by stating no width at all is not a fail.

6. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Well-Known Member

Well I'd say you learned a good and not real costly lesson, about buying sh#t over the internet, that you didn't try on before buying. For the life of me, I don't understand buying something you can't see - touch - and try on, before laying out the green.

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that he stated that they were another width than "D"? Because failing to state a D width by stating no width at all is not a fail.

x one billion. This is the key fact that OP has not yet revealed to us.

8. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

isn't "D" width the default width of shoes?
    sounds like you forgot to ask about something that's very important if you have wider than average feet
    caveat emptor

9. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Well-Known Member

isn't "D" width the default width of shoes?
    sounds like you forgot to ask about something that's very important if you have wider than average feet
    caveat emptor

Even if it is the default, if it wasn't specified, I definitely would've asked. Unless he says otherwise, I'm gonna say OP made a mistake of not getting specifics.

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Well I'd say you learned a good and not real costly lesson, about buying sh#t over the internet, that you didn't try on before buying. For the life of me, I don't understand buying something you can't see - touch - and try on, before laying out the green.

-1. Then you should probably stop visiting this forum.

11. theyare

theyare Well-Known Member

D width UK sizes (Lobbs) is narrow.
    Akin to selling a US "C"

12. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

You have no protection other than his word. If you don't trust him, you shouldn't have done business with him. If they were an unusual width, the seller should have specified. Most online stores state that they will refund the original shipping if they sent the wrong item or omitted critical info like size - ideally he should do this, but you will still be out the cost of return shipping.

13. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

You certainly could request the seller to bear the cost of return shipping and it should also help to ensure that the seller lists them accurately the next time. I hope you didn't buy them from Ascot.

Alternatively, you could try reselling them here and communicating this intention to the seller so you get some form of kickbacks, which might work out to be cheaper for the seller too. Either way, i still forsee you are going to be taking a hit, however small, from misc. charges and conversion.