• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asking out someone you don't know.

mikeman

Reaction score
So, there is this girl in one of my large classes, which I think is good looking, I wish I knew her, but I don't. Is it weird/creepy to ask somebody out that you don't know? I know nothing about her, like her age. Also if it would be acceptable, how would I go about asking her out? Sorry I know this sounds like an 8th grade problem. Any serious help would be awesome. Thanks

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incollegetheydon'tteachspacebar?

Agnacious

Reaction score
It's not acceptable and you will lose any chance if you proceed.

What is acceptable is to get to know someone, find out you have a common interest(s) and then ask her out.

You can invite her to a party (that is more than just you, or you and your dateless friends) and get to know here there.

Or you can just have one of your friends (not in the class) grab her ass and run to her defense. But that is more of an advanced icebreaker.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's compare points of view.

From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes.

From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes?

Now go find a way to be awesome and have her notice you.

Kohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell

From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes.

From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes?

+1000

From what I've seen (and crassly f*ed up trying, to be fair), by the time you notice an attractive female she has long since gotten over the novelty of being harassed for her genetic makeup.

At the very least, find a way to sit next to her and chat for a couple lectures before you do anything stalker-esque. Or, you know, try Agnacious's suggestion and fake some chivalry. Let us know how that goes!

mikeman

Reaction score

Excellent point.Honestly,the thing I know what separates me,from 98% of my school is that I dress decently,and I can tell,by the way she dresses that it important to her.I know that doesnt mean much,but I think it would be a ****,except I'm shy as hell.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's compare points of view. From your point of view - you've just found out that she's a pretty girl, and you'd like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. That makes her special in your eyes. From her point of view - she has known she's a pretty girl for a long time, and every guy who sees her on the street, on the bus, on Facebook, in a bar would like to get to know her better because she's a pretty girl. What makes you special in her eyes? Now go find a way to be awesome and have her notice you.
haha nice.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
I'm shy as hell.

That's the problem. Girls, especially attractive ones, want a confident, calm guy who doesn't care what she thinks of him or whether she turns him down.

Whatever you do, don't compliment her on her looks. That would make you look like the countless others who have done the same - plain Joe.

mikeman

Reaction score
So, how would you approach her?What would you say if you didnt know them at all?

Hany

Reaction score
If you are in class together it doesn't get easier. Keep looking at her (it should be done naturally if she's beautiful) and she will notice it. If you are attractive/her type she will smile to you. Even if she's shy she will smile (in a shy, cute way). If she's not she will look back and smile. Take it from there.

mikeman

Reaction score
well I do look,but I think I would ask her out after class,what would I say to her?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with asking someone to do something with you. They're not obliged and can willingly reject the offer if you're a pimple-faced goon who first asks an Internet forum for a confidence boost.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, there is this girl in one of my large classes, which I think is good looking, I wish I knew her, but I don't. Is it weird/creepy to ask somebody out that you don't know? I know nothing about her, like her age. Also if it would be acceptable, how would I go about asking her out? Sorry I know this sounds like an 8th grade problem. Any serious help would be awesome. Thanks
Ok, so introduce yourself and start a conversation about class. During the chit-chat discuss something about life - say a party or get together your friends are having. Guage her interest, then if you see an opening invite her and some of her friends. After that, if she shows, bs with her then invite her out. Ultimately, shy or not, girls like guys who are "confident and calm". You need to appear comfortable in your own skin. You think all those hot girls are? 80% aren't. Anyway, don't over think it (yes, it's a cliche like 95% of the responses here), chat with her and see her response. Maybe she is a standoffish *****, maybe she isn't. But start with just the basics, then see where things lead. The best bet is if you go out with her or invite her out to hang with a bunch of friends, keep it casual and see where it goes.

Hany

Reaction score
well I do look,but I think I would ask her out after class,what would I say to her?
If she smiles back talk to her. I know it's not easy but just tell yourself that your only barrier at this point is your shyness. You must overcome it. Say some goofy ****, she doesn't care at that point (assuming she smiled back). Start a convo saying "sorry do you know how to solve this.." or "how did you find the exam?" etc. Ask her a general question you would ask someone you are not interested to. Don't ask her out immediately. Forget about the "game" you hear about on the internet. It's for people that are not charming by just being themselves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads