• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asking out someone you don't know.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the love of god plz no.

at least have her know your name first. she will want to know something about you to tell her friends, your name is a good start.

ranker

Reaction score
Well, I think its pretty obvious to separate the men from the boys (as well as the haters) after reading some of these suggestions.

OP, don't do it. Unless you've mastered cold approaches, aka game, then your chances for success aren't high. The fact that you've been letting your interest fester for some time has probably rocketed your approach anxiety to a point where your interest could subconsciously come out as being desperate or stalker-ish.

My suggestion for someone in your position:
Sit next to her one day in class. Start a conversation with a smile and better yet a witty comment/joke If you're one of the poor souls that isn't naturally charismatic, then keep a few topics handy to chit chat back and forth between her. If she's not giving you any eye contact, smiles, (or other indicators of interest), then slow down and continue to build rapport with her before you "ask her out." If she's interested or engaging you in conversation, then take it to the next step and have her join you for some activity, whether it be coffee, a study session, a shopping trip to help you pick out something, or whatever it is that you two seem to share common interest in.

If she's just not interested, cut your losses. There's plenty of fish in the sea.

Star

Reaction score
Unless you resemble Brad Pitts long lost twin sibbling, or have the confidence and the talk of James Bond; you are certain to fail if you think you can just ask her out 'cold call'. If you need to post to this forum then you already haven't got it. Your best bet is to find a way to introduce yourself or be introduced, and then once you are on first name basis signal interest and then make your move.

What are you going to give her that is going to be of interest to her?

The other thing to keep in mind is that as attractive as she might be other than some hot rooting and tooting, she might have a rotten personality or you may find to have far less in common than you think.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez. It isn't that hard. Go up to her, strike up a conversation about ANYTHING, talk to her for five minutes, get her number, call her in a few days and invite her to chill.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Jeez. It isn't that hard. Go up to her, strike up a conversation about ANYTHING, talk to her for five minutes, get her number, call her in a few days and invite her to chill.

facepalm.gif

ccc123

Reaction score
Do you know any of us???
- your talking pretty good here and willing to share your feelings with all of us.

A honest and genuine Hello has always worked for me. be sure to take some time with eye contact here (very important) - The next part " my name is_____________, we are in class together", then talk about the class, hard, easy, love it, hate it, interesting, boring, you must listen hard during this initial dialog she may say a little or a lot and you need to hear everything both said and unsaid this will help keep things moving and also clue you on how to take the conversation.

1. Suck it up
2. Give your self a chance
3. Don't be a stalker
4. Chat her up a bit
5. Make her laugh
6. Don't tell her how beautiful she is ( She's has heard it before)
7. A drink, coffee, hanging with some other friends is not a big deal - if she is into you she'll say yes.
8. Its the no part you don't want to hear (which is keeping you from saying anything)- That my young man is also a word you must be prepared for.
10. Confidence, humor, taste, some style, and a slightly unorthodox approach can take you a long way.

Good luck - and remember what you hopefully learned in kindergarten treat others the way you would like to be treated!

Most important thing here is to be as confident and relaxed as you can - easy going smooth, some humor and genuine conversation - watch some old Cary Grant movies and see how far a hello got him! trust me it works in real life too. Be a man - good luck!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
why the facepalm?

'Hi, nice talking to you, can I get your number so I can bother you later about what I obviously want? We can chill just like our parents did.'

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I don't see the problem with asking someone to do something with you. They're not obliged and can willingly reject the offer if you're a pimple-faced goon who first asks an Internet forum for a confidence boost.

+1

Also, how else do people meet women here? Do you need to know them for (x) amount of time before asking them to do something, no. It's what people do, strike up a conversation ever so often, don't seem pushy or shy. Be confident, nut up or shut up.
smile.gif

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
'Hi, nice talking to you, can I get your number so I can bother you later about what I obviously want? We can chill just like our parents did.'

SO you're talking for 5 minutes about whatever. Then the lecture starts. And afterwards you have to go to your next class, so you ask for her number.

She'll give you her number if a) she likes you b) she's single c) she's not stuck up.

THe only one of them you can do anything about is a). You have 5 minutes to leave a good impression. If she doesn't like you after 5 minutes of talking to you, chances are she never will.

Hany

Reaction score
For the don't tell her how beautiful she is:
-"yo, you are so beautiful, wow"- that's ****
-"hey beauty, what's up etc."- that's confident

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
get her alone. drop the pants. use prosthetics if you don't have adequate equipment.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
For the don't tell her how beautiful she is:
-"yo, you are so beautiful, wow"- that's ****
-"hey beauty, what's up etc."- that's confident

hey beauty, what's up?

**** you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads